An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discussion Lumen Gentium "the Mystery Of The Church"

BarbTherese

So I have small children, none are even teens yet.

I'm a home school mom. We make our own noodles, bread, everything. We're going to petition the city to let us have chickens because of the heavy regulations here. I'm basically trying to recreate a "little house on the prairie" life for my little ones. 

Our priest has a number of mission churches that he has to see to, so our "Daily Mass" is only once a week at my specific Church.

What are some of the things I can do to serve Our Lord more actively? I want to see God. 

Oh Gosh! What a very big question, IAL !   You are already "seeing God" - else you would not be doing what you are doing and focusing where you are focused.  We see God here on earth as a reflection of His Image in our lives and living.  Then, in Heaven, we will be seeing Him face to face!!!!!

I think it might have been you that asked about service in The Church.  God has gifted you with a family and these are to be your first focus and goodness knows families do ask focus.  What a wondrous gift to be treasured and affirmed!  No easy task at times.  The agony and the ecstasy!

If you would like to do something in the parish, how about going on the Reading Roster (lector) at Mass.  Getting to daily Mass WHEN IT IS FEASIBLE AND POSSIBLE.  I like personally to make Sunday Mass my debrief and brief sessions and unite all in The Blessed Eucharist at Holy Communion.  Prior to Mass I reflect on my week to bring it to Jesus in the Offertory Procession (debriefing to Jesus).  I listen very carefully to The Readings and especially to Father's homilies.  After Mass I will try to draw some resolution for my coming week related to my experience of The Mass and Holy Communion, especially Father's homily.  When a priest gives us a homily at Mass, he is especially inspired by The Holy Spirit, no matter how impoverished his delivery.  There is something in the Sunday Mass especially that we really need to hear.  It is our brief for the week.  This is one of the reasons The Church has declared Sundays a day of obligation to attend Mass.

The circumstances of our lives - all of them - are gifts from The Providence of God, Divine Providence.  Life, as is The Mass and The Blessed Eucharist - the heart and centre of our lives, is a giving and receiving.  We give our lives and circumstances and The Lord receives them.  Our lives and circumstances are gifted by The Lord and we receive that gift with gratitude and humility and give it our best response.  But not an unreasonable response:

There is a very important word in the quote I gave from St Paul to The Romans - that word is "reasonable" "

I BESEECH you therefore, brethren, by the mercy of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, pleasing unto God, your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world; but be reformed in the newness of your mind, that you may prove what is the good, and the acceptable, and the perfect will of God."

What St Augustine had to say is very very true "Our hearts are restless until they rest in Thee".  As long as we are on this earth, we are going to be restless: something more to be done, something this, something that, something here, something there.  We are restless and we need to learn to live with that restlessness in Peace and in Joy - accept restlessness and embrace it as gift of The Lord for all the discomfort it can cause.  And St Paul tells us to give "reasonable service" - in other words, we need to ensure that the bounds of prudence and common sense are not breached in our dedication to The Lord and going about the work He has gifted us.  St Albert tells us that "common sense is the guide of all the virtues" (Ancient Rule of Carmel).  We need to allow common sense to guide us in all things spiritual especially.

IAL - you are actively servicing The Lord through the duties of your state in life, be very assured of that.  Striving to make a "little house on the prairie" for your children is a beautiful aspiration indeed and this is an example for those with families - but not only these, it is an example to all vocations to look at our duties and to think "What can I do with these that is creative and a contribution to my state in life?"

I pray for your every success in your aspirations..................including with acquiring chickens and petitioning the regulation authority bodies for same..  I really do love chickens to pieces!

I am keeping you in prayer, please keep me and all in yours.  And remember that our duties which do ask focus of the mind very often, if done for the Love of The Lord are all prayers.  All it takes is a short offering to Jesus at the start of each day - and thanksgiving for the day at its closure.  At close of day, we still have life in our bodies and something to be very thankful for if it has been one of those days that just goes pear shaped from start to finish.

Barb :)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

In another thread, it was suggested that we take a look at the vocation to the laity in secular life.  This vocation can take two forms:  marital state or single celibate chaste state.  I'm just feeling my way in this and thought we could start, providing there is interest, with the Dogmatic Constitution on The Church Lumen Gentium.  This

I just need to say there is one more possible vocation and that is married chaste. There is a female saint who was married chaste, I heard it on e.w.t.n. Unsure what her name was though, but her and her husband took a personal vow of chastity in there married life.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I found this article while browsing others. It's not too long but I can't seem to get it to copy and paste without messing up the format royally. 

http://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/VAT/aq0904.asp

I like how the author of the article points out that laypeople are becoming more active in the Church. I immediately thought of Eucharistic ministers and also prison ministry, just to name a couple of ways. 

I almost wish it talked more of spirituality. I knew a 3rd Order Carmelite but never really knew much about it, then or now. But my understanding is that it's for lay persons who are living out a certain religious charism? (depending on the order?) 

Thanks for leaving the topics wide open, I am less afraid of saying something that doesn't fit in. If I've erred in what I've found or typed, please let me know! :)

Peace!

I wanted to become a lay Carmelite years ago after I read some of dark night of the soul, interior castle and the little ways which are all works of doctors of the church whom are all concecrated Carmelites. I went to the nuns in my diocese but they said they where lacking a priest in this area to do the ceremony, but as it turns out anyway now i'm kind of 4th order Carmelite, consecrated to the brown scapular, theres a special ceremony for it that any priest can perform if your interested, well I was lead to believe any priest can perform it, it isn't a public ceremony just a little ditty after holy mass or other appropriate time :)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Also for any whom don't know there are a variety of sacramental in the holy catholic church which are kind of lay vocations that one can be enrolled into by one of our holy priests. I mentioned one ' the brown scapular,' but there are others too, I know of two others they are the miraculous medal and the saint benedict medal, i'm only new to all of this 9 years practising catholic and have been so sick for about 4 years that I have fear that I have fallen behind, but aye alleluia psalm 27 "I will see the face of the Lord in the land of the living." :) Just means I will have to run a little faster with grace once i'm well again.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

And barb 'your so Carmelite', race you to the entrance of the cave of elijah.  :P  It is the truth that there is one body and many members, holy scripture teaches as such. Some parts are little parts and some parts great parts but each needed without pride or envy, every single cell of that body. A German Lutheran friend of mine hit me big time with a be happy with being ordinary speech, it was so beautiful and just what I needed to hear. Though I still hope above hope I will do something spectacular for the Lord whether many little things or one great thing. I was suffering terribly from envy and pride, but after his speech and the sacrament of confession, I hope that it is fading now, even if I have to confess these 300 times it must be smashed.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

It doesn't matter that your 68, it is a spiritual journey, and your flexing some good spiritual muscle there. Meet you there perhaps, if i'm not there by 3pm call the medics/angels because it means I have died of dehydration in the desert and in need of resusetation and then some honey cakes and adams ale. :lol:

I just need to say there is one more possible vocation and that is married chaste. There is a female saint who was married chaste, I heard it on e.w.t.n. Unsure what her name was though, but her and her husband took a personal vow of chastity in there married life.

Tab, I think this might be called a "Josephite Marriage", since Mary and Joseph were husband and wife, but Mary remained a virgin.  That is, their marriage was never consummated.  Sometimes, I have heard not really on sure ground here, husband and wife who have consummated their marriage decide at some point to live in celibate chastity.

The parents of St Therese of Lisieux will probably be canonize. They, had a number of children and I don't think (unsure once again) if they ever lived in celibate chastity while married - after the children or at some other point.  Chastity is a beautiful virtue and it can be and should be cultivated in a sexually active marriage.  It is called "marital chastity".  One does not have to decide to be "celibate chaste" to live out the virtue of Chastity in marriage.   I don't know what The Church thinks about a Josephite Marriage, never read anything out of Rome about it, which does not mean that it does not exist.

Other members may know more.

Great to catch up with again, Tab.................Barb :)

I wanted to become a lay Carmelite years ago after I read some of dark night of the soul, interior castle and the little ways which are all works of doctors of the church whom are all concecrated Carmelites. I went to the nuns in my diocese but they said they where lacking a priest in this area to do the ceremony, but as it turns out anyway now i'm kind of 4th order Carmelite, consecrated to the brown scapular, theres a special ceremony for it that any priest can perform if your interested, well I was lead to believe any priest can perform it, it isn't a public ceremony just a little ditty after holy mass or other appropriate time  :)

At last, I am getting the drift of this "multiquote" facility...........I think!

Pre V2, we were always enrolled in the Scapular at Confirmation, also we made "The Pledge" (both if we chose to do so only).  "The Pledge" was a promise to never drink alchohol until after 21 years of age.  My Mum gave me a good talking to prior to Confirmation and as a consequence, I decided not to make the pledge (my decision).  But I was the only one who did not stand up and that made me decidedly uncomfortable.

Again, I am on unsure ground, but I think that all diocesan priests are deputised to enrol in the scapular.  As you said, Tab, it is just a very quick little ceremony after Mass or some other appropriate time.

Also for any whom don't know there are a variety of sacramental in the holy catholic church which are kind of lay vocations that one can be enrolled into by one of our holy priests. I mentioned one ' the brown scapular,' but there are others too, I know of two others they are the miraculous medal and the saint benedict medal, i'm only new to all of this 9 years practising catholic and have been so sick for about 4 years that I have fear that I have fallen behind, but aye alleluia psalm 27 "I will see the face of the Lord in the land of the living." :) Just means I will have to run a little faster with grace once i'm well again.

Smiling here.  Wish I had a penny for every time I have "fallen behind".  Today was one of those days.  For example, tonight I prayed Evening Prayer just after 8pm.  The normal time for me is 5.30 - 6pm roughly...............and I always have reasons and excuses, rationalizations...........etc. etc. etc.  Truth is, Tab, I just fall down once again!

And barb 'your so Carmelite', race you to the entrance of the cave of elijah.  :P  It is the truth that there is one body and many members, holy scripture teaches as such. Some parts are little parts and some parts great parts but each needed without pride or envy, every single cell of that body. A German Lutheran friend of mine hit me big time with a be happy with being ordinary speech, it was so beautiful and just what I needed to hear. Though I still hope above hope I will do something spectacular for the Lord whether many little things or one great thing. I was suffering terribly from envy and pride, but after his speech and the sacrament of confession, I hope that it is fading now, even if I have to confess these 300 times it must be smashed.

Me, Carmelite.   Nahhh, aint made of that kind of stuffing I don't think.  My best pal is a Carmelite prioress, so it all rubs off on me I guess and a jolly good thing too.  Carmelites are so in the clouds with two feet firmly on mother earth.  It is a Joy!

It doesn't matter that your 68, it is a spiritual journey, and your flexing some good spiritual muscle there. Meet you there perhaps, if i'm not there by 3pm call the medics/angels because it means I have died of dehydration in the desert and in need of resusetation and then some honey cakes and adams ale.  

Thanks, Tab.  Hey listen, man, it may not worry you that I am 68 (4 months short of), but it jolly well worries me!  I might be getting close to the end of the race and still I find myself trying to get to the starting gate!   :blush:  Spiritually, I have no idea where I am.........up or down or sideways!  I said to my director last visit that all that sort of jazz is his domain and if he tells me all about it, it will just confuse me further.   I just try to do my best while never being sure what is my best.  I like what St Mary of The Cross MacKillop said (first Australia saint ) "Do what you can and leave the rest to God".  Do what I can, I can manage, it's doing my best that keeps stumping me.  I love our Mary MacKillop!

As I said, Tab.............good to catch up with you again as always...............Barb :)

IAL - you are actively servicing The Lord through the duties of your state in life, be very assured of that.  Striving to make a "little house on the prairie" for your children is a beautiful aspiration indeed and this is an example for those with families - but not only these, it is an example to all vocations to look at our duties and to think "What can I do with these that is creative and a contribution to my state in life?"

I pray for your every success in your aspirations..................including with acquiring chickens and petitioning the regulation authority bodies for same..  I really do love chickens to pieces!

I am keeping you in prayer, please keep me and all in yours.  And remember that our duties which do ask focus of the mind very often, if done for the Love of The Lord are all prayers.  All it takes is a short offering to Jesus at the start of each day - and thanksgiving for the day at its closure.  At close of day, we still have life in our bodies and something to be very thankful for if it has been one of those days that just goes pear shaped from start to finish.

Thank you VERY much! I am moved and edified. We pray for you at night, too, and all your intentions. My kids love night prayers because they can put in their own requests, everything from, "Dear Lord, let it rain candy tomorrow!" to, "Please feed the hungry children, Lord!" They always repeat me enthusiastically and you are on my list!

I see God in my children who are very young and very innocent. I see God in His fabulous desert sunsets. I think of him when the singing birds raid my feeder hanging on a tree in the front yard in the morning and when the crickets chirp in the evening. He is magnificent, and is praised in all His creation! :)

I love the spirituality of practicing the presence of God (br. Lawrence) and have followed it for many years. I pray for the dead when washing the dishes (so that I don't forget them), and for vocations when cleaning other rooms. I'm trying to do a little spiritual reading each night and trying to learn more about our faith by logging in here. And it's glorious because it spurs me on to try harder here! :)

We play catechism quiz games at meal times to keep it spirited and charitable.

I have a lot to improve on but am very determined only waiting on His grace to refine me. :)

Edited by Ima Lurker

As a child, at our parish, the priest did this enrollment at our first holy communion. Gotta love the promises made regarding the scapular. :)

Our Lord is so generous.

Thank you VERY much! I am moved and edified. We pray for you at night, too, and all your intentions. My kids love night prayers because they can put in their own requests, everything from, "Dear Lord, let it rain candy tomorrow!" to, "Please feed the hungry children, Lord!" They always repeat me enthusiastically and you are on my list!

I see God in my children who are very young and very innocent. I see God in His fabulous desert sunsets. I think of him when the singing birds raid my feeder hanging on a tree in the front yard in the morning and when the crickets chirp in the evening. He is magnificent, and is praised in all His creation! :)

I love the spirituality of practicing the presence of God (br. Lawrence) and have followed it for many years. I pray for the dead when washing the dishes (so that I don't forget them), and for vocations when cleaning other rooms. I'm trying to do a little spiritual reading each night and trying to learn more about our faith by logging in here. And it's glorious because it spurs me on to try harder here! :)

We play catechism quiz games at meal times to keep it spirited and charitable.

I have a lot to improve on but am very determined only waiting on His grace to refine me. :)

The prayers of children are truly beautiful and thank you very much for including me on your list.

I think you are doing a wondrous job and work in the formation of young minds for one only - but a very important duty assigned to you carried out extremely well in my book.  My spiritual director and I were only talking last visit about seeing the Gifts of God that are all around us and giving thanks.  I've never seen a desert sunset - it must be a wondrous experience.

I liked Brother Lawrence's work too.  Your Faith and spirituality is integrated into your ordinary everyday life and very much what it is all about in essence.  St Therese of Lisieux would love you very much!  "To do ordinary things extraordinarily well".

am very determined only waiting on His grace to refine me

Absolutely insightful - spot on.  We can all improve, even the greatest of our saints had room for improvement. 

God bless............warm regards.........Barb :)

As a child, at our parish, the priest did this enrollment at our first holy communion. Gotta love the promises made regarding the scapular. :)

Our Lord is so generous.

I think you are right - you have jogged my memory.  It was at First Holy Communion we were enrolled in the Scapular.  The Pledge only was at Confirmation.

Indeed, The Rosary is a beautiful and powerful devotion to cultivate.   :)

I pray The Rosary every Saturday in honour of Our Lady - Saturdays are traditionally dedicated to Mary.  It is also a day when we traditionally catch up on housework tasks in order to set aside Sunday as a day of rest - after all, Mary was a housewife and mother.

I used to be able to pray The Rosary on the bus to and from my voluntary work.  Now I have changed jobs, my bus trip is far too short.  I can pray The Little Office of Our Lady, Morning and Evening Prayers waiting for the bus to go to work - and the same coming home.  The Little Office is very compact and fits snug into a normal size handbag.

Days I am home, I pray Midday Prayer around noon and from The Divine Office.

The Five First Saturdays, sort of walk hand in hand with the Nine First Fridays http://catholicismpure.wordpress.com/2013/04/05/nine-first-friday-devotion-to-the-sacred-heart-of-jesus/  I tried so hard as a child to complete the nine First Friday Masses, but something kept breaking the continuity each month.  So I supposed that Jesus knew my good intentions if only things would work out my way.  One of the consolations of entering the convent was that at last I would be able to keep the continuity going.

A guide to praying The Rosary: http://www.rosary-center.org/howto.htm (one can also join The Confraternity of The Rosary on this site)