An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questions About Charism Of Benedictine [ Osb ] Nuns

God's Beloved

God's Beloved

I have some questions about the OSB monasteries for nuns:

1. General understanding of their Charism .

2. Reliable versions of the Rule of St. Benedict.

3. Spirituality of those Without an active apostolate outside the monastery grounds.

4. Scripture passages that can help someone I know who is discerning this vocation.

5. Contemplative prayer in relation to OSB Charism. How is it different from other monastic Charisms.

Any previous threads related to this topic ?

Thanks in anticipation !

Sr Mary Catharine OP

You might want to contact a Benedictine monastery with your questions! The "standard" translation of the Rule is what OSB refer to as the RB1980. I believe it is online.

Keep in mind that the Benedictine "Order" isn't an Order as we think of it but rather independent monasteries grouped together in "Federations". Each monastery has a constitution for that particular monastery that spells out how it lives the RB.

The charism of the OSB is one of the very ancient ones so you aren't going to find a spirituality of contemplative prayer as you would with say, the Carmelites. It is the Word of God, dwelt and meditated on in lectio that is at the heart of monastic prayer. The life of praying the psalms is interconnected with lectio. They aren't really separate praye

Up until the end of the middle ages or so no spoke of "public" or "private" prayer but of "prayer in secret" which flowed out of liturgical prayer, the Holy Sacrifice, etc.

Now, that is all a Dominican will say. You really should contact some OSB's. (I was very closely connected to OSB's before becoming a Dominican.) :saint2:

I once asked a Dominican (nun / moniale) what their "charism" was and she said that she wasn't comfortable speaking about a charism, saying that the whole idea is a much more recent development. I have since learnt that if that is true of Dominicans, then it's even more true of Benedictines! Trying to understand Benedictine life through the prism of modern approaches to religious life is, I fear, a bit like trying to compare apples and oranges!

It might be worth noting that the 1980 RB translation to which Sr Mary Catherine referred has (at least in the full edition) some very helpful introductory articles, including articles on the origins of monasticism in both East and West. Saint Benedict did not start an Order, but was simply one link in a chain that transmitted the ancient monastic tradition (and he himself points his readers back to Saint Basil and Saint John Cassian). He was, however, a key link in transmitting it to the West.

This book, or anything else by Michael Casey, may be helpful although it's a while since I've read him...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Undivided-Heart-Monastic-Contemplation/dp/1879007045

God's Beloved

Thank you Maxmillion ! The You-Tube videos are excellent !

I noticed that some OSB  nuns explain their commitment  in terms of promises while others express  in terms of vows.

Some focus on Obedience , Humility, Silence

Othes focus on Obedience, Conversion of Life  and  Stability

I also noticed as Egeria mentioned , the OSB is ancient , pre-dating religious life . Strictly speaking I guess it is monastic but included in the broader category of religious since medieval times. I think only apostolic religious life is strictly focused on the three evangelical counsels of Obedience, Poverty, Chastity  with an added vow sometimes ,according to the charism of the founder. Poverty and Chastity are implicit in OSB commitment . I guess even married people could be associated with them.

Sr Mary Catharine , you have very well explained OSB .  Are you a monastic ? Please can you compare and contrast  OSB  and Dominican monasteries .Since you have experience of both, what exactly is the difference between the spiritualities / prayer life ?

Please feel free to explain in detail . This could help the person discerning , to choose the right one for her. Thanks!

Edited by God's Beloved

Sr Mary Catharine OP

God's Beloved, I am a moniales--a Dominican nun, so yes, I am monastic.

The difference between OSB and OP monastic life is certainly different but there are a lot of similarities. Benedictines, Cistercians, Norbertines and Dominicans are very compatible together!

The big difference is the way of government. OSB government is very vertical:abbot to monk, whereas OP government is very democratic. However, a monastery/priory is not a democracy. The prioress is not an abbess and has term limits. She is 1st among equals. The Chapter has responsibility for the decisions of the community in a way that a Benedictine priory/abbey doesn't.

The Benedictine life is about seeking God. OP life is about seeking God, about being free for God but because we are monastics in an evangelical, apostolic Order our life of prayer and praise overflows out into a desire for the salvation of souls. We are totally a part of the preaching mission of the Order while still being total given to a contemplative way of life.

Our liturgical life is just as important as it is for OSB's but my experience is that OPs are actually MORE COMMITTED to the full singing of the Divine Office than are OSBs!

Like the ancient Orders we seeing profession as obedience to a WHOLE WAY OF LIFE which also includes the 3 vows. It is a much broader, richer context.

Lectio is central to our life of prayer and life OSB's we don't have a particular school of prayer. You learn to pray by praying! Lectio is especially important to us because we encounter the WORD of God.

OPs also have a particular love of our Lady that is more distinctive than OSBs.

OPs are also a lot more fun! :winner:  (I HAD to say that!)

Maybe Sr. Mary Jeremiah will chime in. She can explain things a lot better than I can! :saint2:

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Okay, I think it's time for a Benedictine to chime in here :smile3:

Sr. Mary Catherine has done a very good job explaining the differences (albeit with some bias: for example I would contest her declaration that OPs are more fun than OSBs :topsy: )

To answer your initial questions, if there is any particular Benedictine charism, I would have to say it is to seek God. St. Benedict talks about this search for God throughout the Rule, but the Prologue does a stupendous job of laying it all out. I think the entirety of the Prologue is beautiful, but a small snipet that would, perhaps, more directly pertain to what you're aksing about is verses 8-21: (note, words in italics are St. Benedict quoting from Scripture)

Let us get up, then, at long last, for the Scriptures rouse us when they say: It is high time for us to arise from sleep (Rom 13:11). Let us open our eyes to the light that comes from God, and our ears to the voice from heaven that every day calls out this charge: If you hear his voice today, do not harden your hearts (Ps 94 [95]:8). And again, You that have ears to hear, listen to what the Spirit says to the churches (Rev. 2:7). And what does he say? Come and listen to me, sons; I will teach you the fear of the Lord (Ps 33 [34]:12). Run while you have the light of life, that the darkness of death may not overtake you (John 12:35). Seeking his workman in a multitude of people, the Lord calls out to him and lifts his voice again: Is there anyone here who yearns for life and desires to see good days? (Ps 33 [34]:13). If you hear this and your answer is "I do," God then directs these words to you: If you desire true and eternal life, keep your tongue free from vicious talk and your lips from all deceit; turn away from evil and do good; let peace be your quest and aim[/i] (Ps 33 [34]:14-15). Once you ahve done this, my eyes will be upon you and my ears will listen for your prayers; and even before you ask me, I will say to you: Here I am (Isa 58:9). What, dear brothers, is more delightful than this voice of the Lord calling to us? See how the Lord in his love shows us the way of life. Clothed then with faith and the performance of good works, let us set out on this way, with the Gospel for our guide, that we may deserve to see him who has called us to his kingdom (1 Thess 2:12).

Again, as Sr. Mary Catherine noted, the Scripture and Liturgy of the Hours are central to our life. Just to give you a small example from my own life, I'm currently in the midst of orientation for seminary, and as such I am on the same prayer schedule as the diocesan seminarians in terms of Mass and Liturgy of the Hours: I miss praying the Liturgy of the Hours in a monastic setting because it is done much more slowly, with more times for silent meditation on the psalms and the readings than the diocesans do. So liturgy is central (in fact, the Benedictine Order as a whole has been tasked as being the liturgists of the Church: the Pontifical University of San Anselmo in Rome is known for Liturgical Studies).

Reliable version of the Rule, also answered by Sister: RB1980.

In terms of the specific spirituality of a cloistered Benedictine convent, never having been part of one myself I would have to say it would be similar to other cloistered communities, but with an emphasis on the liturgy as understood by St. Benedict. Also, an emphasis on obedience. For Benedictines in general, obedience is seen as the starting point of living not only the other vows, but the entirety of the Christian life ("The labor of obedience will bring you back to him from whom you had drifted through the sloth of disobedience," RB Prologue 2).

In terms of specific Scripture passages, I would have to say, again, to look at the Rule. St. Benedict lived and breathed the Scriptures. Almost every other sentence is a quote from Scripture, but the beauty of it is that he didn't mean for it to be: he had so internalized the Scriptures that they became the very language he spoke. (And perhaps every other sentence is an exaggeration, but you get the point :hehe2: ; he quotes Scripture a LOT).

Another way that you could really get a good glimpse into Benedictine life is by reading the works of the Desert Fathers and Mothers. St. Benedict got his inspiration from them (especially John Cassian and Basil the Great, as Ergeria mentioned), and then applied it to cenobitic life (life in community). Eusebius would be another good source (the first desert father to found communities of monks).

Finally, I would just like to expound on a few things that Sr. said. She said that the Benedictine life is about seeking God, and it is! That is the very answer that the postulant gives the abbot during the investiture ceremony to begin novitiate: "What do you seek?" "I seek God and fellowship in His community." But what is the purpose of this seeking? It is to live the Christian life in all of its fullness and, ultimately, to find God. And to keep searching for Him and to keep finding Him throughout our lives. The book I'm reading for spiritual reading right now puts it very well, (just swap the word thirst for seek): "However, this this thirst is not sufficient in itself; it must be reinforeced by drinking. To thirst, and to know where the water is, will not satisfy; only by walking there can the thirst really be slaked. The thirst draws us on, but it is the walking that actually counts, the unceasing prayer of the spirit." (from [i]The Thirst of the Soul by Fr. Henry Brenner, OSB)

It is in praying for and serving our brothers and sisters in Christ according to the particular apostolate that each house has that the Benedictine fulfills his/her search for God. Hospitality is central to our life: Christ is found in the stranger, in the visitor, whoever they may be. "If anyone says, 'I love God,' but hates his brother, he is a liar; for whoever does not love a brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

I hope this helps answer some of your questions, God's Beloved. If you have anymore, feel free to ask! I haven't been professed very long, but I'll answer as best as I can :)

Br. Antony

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Sorry about all the italics: I couldn't figure out how to get them to go away. :unsure:

graciandelamadrededios

I found this from: http://palamas.info/the-best-thing-about-being-a-benedictine-is-having-no-charism/

The Best Thing About Being a Benedictine Is Having No Charism

At Vigils this morning as we celebrated St. Dominic, it occurred to me once again that Cistercians are blessed by having neither founder nor charism.

As an order, we have no one founder. We generally recognize three founders, but in practice have four: St. Robert was the inspiration; St. Alberic was our first real leader; St. Stephen got us organized; and then St. Bernard came along to market us. Any of these four would have said that that they were merely trying to live out the Rule of St. Benedict, who in turn would have said that he was only writing up what monks had been doing for several centuries and that even this should be adapted to local needs.

In short, we have no charism. We’re not practicing the spirituality of X while doing work Y and wearing the habit of Z. We have no distinct spirituality, though it can sometimes look as if we do since we have maintained the office while it has gone by the wayside to varying degrees elsewhere. We have no manuals or exercises. We have no distinctive apostolate. We wear a basic habit free of distinctive trinkets. In 1500 years the Benedictine family has produced preachers, teachers, mystics, and theologians, but the first task was always simply to seek God and try to try to save our own souls. A Benedictine monastery is just a place to try to live out the Christian life. It ultimately has no other purpose or mission.

At their best, Benedictines are free of enthusiasms. Long experience teaches that fashions in both heresy and piety come and go. We’re not above learning new tricks, but they do not define us. Evangelization, reparation, adoration, bi-location, and even flagellation all have their place and some are needed more in some epochs than in others, but none is the sum total of the gospel. In short, monks don’t believe in killer aps for the spiritual life. Instead, we mostly believe that the things that worked in the deserts of Egypt, at the court of Charlemagne, and in the monastic revival of the 19th Century still work. Like Tolkein’s ents, Benedictines want nothing that’s too hasty.

We read the rule of St. Benedict each day in chapter, but do not feel any great anxiety about whether we’re remaining true to the spirit of our founder, who after all said he was only writing “a little rule for beginners.” We can go into our libraries and find thousands of books on Benedictine subjects, but none loom over us in the way that the writings of St. Thomas, St. Ignatius Loyola, or St. Vincent de Paul do over their orders. We have saints by the hundred, and this very fact keeps us from putting all of our eggs in one ascetic or theological basket.

We pray for our own ongoing conversions and growth in compunction. We sing the psalms, read the fathers, and assist at Mass. Monks and nuns are generally not given to dramatic revelations and those who are generally don’t blab about them. Most of our superiors would probably agree with a famous 20th Century abbot who, when asked what he would do if he had a mystic in his house, said he’d drive him out. When asked what if the visions were genuine, he said that then he’d be sure to drive him out. Monks and nuns aren’t given to the sudden and the novel. Our forebears generally believed that this suspicion of extremes of sensation is one of the most important ways of breaking ourselves of worldly attachments.

We do fight particular our own particular demons-sloth or acedia being the best known when routine gives way to listlessness. We can become too comfortable–we’ve all seen the merry paintings of monks drinking beer and playing cards. (Not that there’s anything wrong with recreation provided that the monastery doesn’t become one never-ending house party.) It is also easy to become focused on one’s own thoughts and preoccupations rather than on reaching out to God.

Periodically, someone comes along to reform a house or a congregation that’s fallen into one of these or some other rut. And that’s a good thing, provided the reforms of the reformer don’t then become some new overriding raison d’etre. At times a particular house or congregation develops a particular expertise. At Solesmes they sing, at Zirc they teach, and at Marienkron they give massages, but all would say that’s ancillary. Our historical experience agrees with Richard Weaver who tells us that unchecked specialization can all too easily lead to fragmentation and obsession.

In summary, if you’re looking for a rather pedestrian life, don’t mind a boring outfit, think repetition is cool, and can’t keep up with trends, the Benedictine charism may be just the ting for you.

(With apologies to St. Dominic, not that he was particularly nice to us.)

Posted by Br. Stephen, O.Cist

God's Beloved

Thank you Sr Mary Catharine, Br.Anony and Br.Stephen !  The information you've provided is very helpful in understanding the vocations. I shall spend some time reading the Rule of St. Benedict.....

Any links to Dominican monasteries without an  apostolate  outside the grounds ?

I also went through some sites linked to Poor Clare Collettine nuns. Why are they called Collettine ? How would we compare them with Benedictines  and Dominicans ?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Bro. Antony, you have to admit that Dominicans are more crazy!

Also, I think I need to make a good 'ole Dominican distinction....OSB are VERY Committed to the Divine Office. I was too simplistic in how I said it. The Divine Office is central to the life of an OSB. I said that because my experience in the USA is that Dominican monasteries usually sing all the hours of the Divine Office and the OSB monasteries I have experienced usually do only Sext. SMALL DIFFERENCE!

Bro.Antony also pointed out the other distinction: Obedience. Obedience for an OP is much more on the community. We follow the Rule of St. Augustine so the community has more emphasis. Of course we are supposed to be obedient to the prioress but even a prioress has to be obedient to the decisions of a Chapter!

I wonder why that Bro. Stephen said that St. Dominic wasn't particularly nice to the OSBs? :cry:  I never heard such a thing! St. Dominic was a Canon. He worked with the Cistercian legates in preaching in Southern France and they were convinced by his holiness to follow his example and live in poverty while preaching.

God's Beloved, Dominican cloistered monasteries don't have an apostolate. We are fully contemplative/cloistered. Some links: www.summitdominicans.org (my monastery) and http://www.lufkintxnuns.org/

Poor Clares and Colletines (a reform of St. Collette) are a whole other conversation! We need some Poor Clare experts to chime in!

graciandelamadrededios

The name Colettine came from its Poor Clare Reformer, St. Colette of Jesus (Her full name is Nicollete Boilet of Corbie, France), a Franciscan Anchoress.  During her time, many (but not all) Poor Clare monasteries followed the Mitigated Rule of St. Clare.  She went to Avignon and was given permission from Antipope Benedict XIII to reform the Order of St. Francis and St. Clare and restore its original charism - absolute poverty and austerity.

The Colettine branch of Franciscan Friars was initiated by the supporter of St. Colette, Friar Henry of Beaume.  They eventually merged together with other Franciscan branches into the Observant branch.

St. Colette wrote her own interpretation of the Rule, the Constitutions commonly called as Constitutions of St. Colette.  This text was eventually adopted by Capuchin Poor Clares and the Poor Clares (OSC).

Before Vatican II, Poor Clare Colettines are famous for their "kerchief" a piece of white cloth covering the chin.

See photos below:

mfm5.jpg

Photo (above) of Mother Mary Francis when she was a very young nun

n25.jpg

Please refer to this phatmass forum link about Colettines:

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/129540-the-habit-of-poor-clare-colettines-before-vatican-ii/

God's Beloved

Thanks to each one of you for your research and information ! It is exhaustive . Shall take my time to study all this and come up with any questions I have later. Indeed the comparison and contrast has helped to understand the subtle differences and similarities between the various  monastic traditions.