An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmass Book Swap Circle

Nihil Obstat

Book Swap Poll  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

Would anyone be interested in this idea? If there is enough interest I will take on the organizational aspects of the swap.

This is how it would work:

If interested, you would register for this book swap. I would randomly generate a set of matches and inform privately every registered member of the person to whom they are matched. You only know your own match, and nobody (except myself), knows any of the other matches.

At that point, you send a book of a Catholic nature - preferably one you have already read and enjoyed - to your match. 

Part of the fun is seeing who was matched to you, then after the swapping is finished, sharing what you received on our official thread. Happy fuzzy feelings all around, and everyone feels good.

I will try to take into account preferences regarding in or out of country swapping, but given the amount of international members I cannot guarantee that you would be matched to an in-country member. Shipping is marginally more, but not excessively so if the book is not too heavy.

Let me know in this thread if you are interested. I would like to see a minimum of ten interested members to consider making this happen, but more will always be better. Answer the poll and leave a post if you think this might be fun.

If there is enough interest, we can then start an official thread to begin registering members, then set a registration deadline, after which I will generate matches.

AccountDeleted

Although I think the idea is fascinating, I am not sure I can really participate. It isn't just that I live in Australia but I don't have a lot of books of my own to swap since I have been travelling for awhile. I tend to get all of my books these days from libraries.

So don't put my name in the hat, but I hope others join up for you. :)

Nihil Obstat

We are going to need more people expressing interest if we are going to make this work, y'all. :)

Nihil Obstat

I'd be interested (and I certainly would have a book or two) but it would depend on when this is.

Times are flexible, unlike MIkolbe. :|

Will I get my original book back? I'm kind of a book hoarder. We part with difficulty.

I'm also poor.

Edited by curiousing

Nihil Obstat

Will I get my original book back? I'm kind of a book hoarder. We part with difficulty.

I'm also poor.

The idea is that you get rid of one, and get one in return (but ultimately, from different people).
I am too when it comes to books, but I have found that a great way to break the habit is to swap the ones I am actually not all that interested in.

AccountDeleted

I have found that when I am living in one place and stable, I don't want to part with any books in my library, and when I am on the move a lot, then I don't have any to swap! :p