BarbaraTherese

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbaraTherese    1,912
BarbaraTherese

blessed-are-the-cracked-and-damaged-they

I am watching the final minutes of "The Monastery Revisited" on You Tube.  One of the Benedictine Monks says "Blessed are the cracked, for they let the light in".

That gave me a laugh rather than a giggle.  A bit of quick research says that the quote is from Groucho Marx.

BarbaraTherese    1,912
BarbaraTherese

Foster Son

Just got some really good news.  My foster son is back in my home state and planning to settle here permanently if all goes well I think.  He arrived last Saturday.  Both my sons are hard to predict, play things close to their chest and this means they can suddenly announce something unexpected, even something major. 

It can go a bit hard on Mum at times, who can find it difficult that they are no longer children - no longer in need of Mum's control, her advice now and then only. 

It is great to have one of my sons any way back in my home state and able to visit now and then. 

I know all the right words at times, living them out on all subjects is not so easy as the writing of them. :sad2:

BarbaraTherese    1,912
BarbaraTherese

"Life is the mystery journey between two eternities"

Examples of Living The Little Way are towards the end of the Video.

Pax17    192
Pax17

We who read this thread  appreciate the spiritual "food for thought" you provide.

I loved the Carmelites from Christchurch video...I think I even saw a glimpse of the wonderful Sister Cushla...her smile and enthusiasm are contagious...:)

BarbaraTherese    1,912
BarbaraTherese

I agree about the food for thought. 

I liked the NZ video too - I thought it was a quite good video for a vocation video as well as a peek into life in Carmel.

Pax17    192
Pax17

Yes, they did an excellent job on the video, very down to earth.  I especially liked the directness of the question "How long have you been behind bars?" and the frank response of the sister who's been a religious for more than 60 years.

BarbaraTherese    1,912
BarbaraTherese

It is wonderful to see nuns especially, who have been so long enclosed to have such radiant faces and obvious joy.  It must be a confusing matter for those who have no understanding of the vocation.  It is well answered indeed that God abundantly equips for the particular call and vocation.

Out here in the mess and hurly burly that secular life can be, at times I can long for the routine and quiet of a very strictly enclosed monastery............until I think rationally about it and I know beyond doubt where I am is where I belong and where, indeed, I am happy and fulfilled in all the mess and hurly burly.

It is pretty much as enclosed nuns at times might find themselves longing for marriage and children.  It passes.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbaraTherese    1,912
BarbaraTherese

Monsignor Ronald Knox has said:

“I am not advocating world-movements or public meetings... my appeal is rather to the individual conscience than to the public ear; my hope is rather to see the emergence of a Saint, than that of an organization...

“There is no harm in besieging heaven for the canonization of such and such holy persons now dead. But should we not do well to vary these petitions of ours by asking for more Saints to canonize?” http://www.universalis.com/today.htm

Second Reading Office of Readings 5th September 2017

http://www.universalis.com/readings.htm

The Imitation of Christ

The Truth of the Lord endures for ever

You thunder your judgements upon me, O Lord; you shake all my bones with fear and dread, and my soul becomes severely frightened. I am bewildered when I realise that even the heavens are not pure in your sight.

If you discovered iniquity in the angels and did not spare them, what will become of me? The stars fell from heaven, and I, mere dust, what should I expect? Those whose works seemed praiseworthy fell to the depths, and I have seen those who once were fed with the bread of angels take comfort in the husks of swine.

There is no holiness where you have withdrawn your hand, O Lord; no profitable wisdom if you cease to rule over it; no helpful strength if you cease to preserve it. If you forsake us, we sink and perish; but if you visit us, we rise up and live again. We are unstable, but you make us firm; we grow cool, but you inflame us.

All superficial glory has been swallowed up in the depths of your judgement upon me.

What is all flesh in your sight? Can the clay be glorified in opposition to its Maker?

How can anyone be stirred by empty talk if his heart is subject in the truth to God?

If a man is subject to truth, possession of the whole world cannot swell him with pride; nor will he be swayed by the flattery of his admirers, if he has established all his trust in God.

For those who do nothing but talk amount to nothing; they fail with their din of words, but ‘the truth of the Lord endures for ever’.

BarbaraTherese    1,912
BarbaraTherese

one-daisy-on-a-bench.jpg

I have received today two very real lingering consolations.  Consolations that underscore and remind me once again that I can do absolutely naught on any level at all without God.

Deo Gratius!

Laudate Dominum

Let us more and more insist on raising funds of love, of kindness, of understanding, of peace. Money will come if we seek first the Kingdom of God —the rest will be given.

- Mother Teresa

0905-624x468.png

Pax17    192
Pax17

After reading "In This House of Brede" many years ago, and learning about cloistered life, I too wished I could live a quiet, ordered life without the mess of trying to function in a metropolis.  I am still learning to slow down, relax, tend to my physical and mental health, and take time for spiritual matters.  The high desert is my teacher.

BarbaraTherese    1,912
BarbaraTherese
2 hours ago, Pax17 said:

After reading "In This House of Brede" many years ago, and learning about cloistered life, I too wished I could live a quiet, ordered life without the mess of trying to function in a metropolis.  I am still learning to slow down, relax, tend to my physical and mental health, and take time for spiritual matters.  The high desert is my teacher.

Hi Pax - What and where is the "high desert"?

I entered monastic life in my early forties - it was not my vocation and today I still know it is not my vocation, despite all the complexities of secular life.  I can yearn for the routine and the quiet of an enclosed cloister but it passes and I know it would only be an escape - and no motivation for monastic life at all, certainly not an indication of a vocation to same, rather to the contrary, an indication there is no vocation to the life.  The actuality is that it won't be too long before one realises religious life is not an escape at all.   No matter where I am, I know that at times in any vocation one can find escape decidedly attractive - and temptation only.

Be the above as it may, I know that not all have the highest motivation for entering religious life, but I think for those that stay, their motivation changes with time and formation and all that formation involves. I think this happens in any vocation at all if one is serious about one's particular vocation.  Formation not only occurs in religious life and formation is lifelong.  Out here in secular life, formation occurs in many ways.

Pax17    192
Pax17

Barb, I retired to northern Arizona.  "High desert" refers to land that features low trees and bushes, pine trees and juniper as well as cacti.  There are also lakes.  I live in Sedona which is surrounded by ancient red rock formations.  Southern AZ is hotter and features true desert landscape, such as the famous tall saguaro cactus.

I think whatever one's vocation, if you're in it for the long term, you're going to grow and mature.  That means overcoming temptations, working hard and not giving up.

BarbaraTherese    1,912
BarbaraTherese
3 hours ago, Pax17 said:

Barb, I retired to northern Arizona.  "High desert" refers to land that features low trees and bushes, pine trees and juniper as well as cacti.  There are also lakes.  I live in Sedona which is surrounded by ancient red rock formations.  Southern AZ is hotter and features true desert landscape, such as the famous tall saguaro cactus.

I think whatever one's vocation, if you're in it for the long term, you're going to grow and mature.  That means overcoming temptations, working hard and not giving up.

Pax, your "High desert" sounds absolutely beautiful, wonderful!  Thank you for explaining. 

I agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph.:like2:

0907-624x468.png

BarbaraTherese    1,912
BarbaraTherese

0908-624x468.png

Daily Reflection St Vincent de Paul Society

Daily Reflection – September 7

“Many contradictory things happen to us: unfavorable opinions about ourselves, our works, our intentions. These contradictions have the advantage of preventing vain-glory, of obliging us to throw ourselves more confidently into the arms of God.”

– St. Vincent de Paul

BarbaraTherese    1,912
BarbaraTherese

0909-624x468.png

Running late

A little girl, dressed in her Sunday best, was running as fast as she could, trying not to be late for Bible class. As she ran, she prayed, "Dear Lord, please don't let me be late! Dear Lord, please don't let me be late!"

As she was running and praying, she tripped on a curb and fell, getting her clothes dirty and tearing her dress. She got up, brushed herself off, and started running again. Again, she prayed, "Dear Lord, please don't let me be late!...But don't shove me either!"

St Vincent de Paul Society

Daily Reflection – September 8

“You have a thousand reasons for rejoicing in God

and for hoping for everything from him through Our Lord who dwells within you.”
– St. Vincent de Paul

BarbaraTherese    1,912
BarbaraTherese

15752b7edf50345b449dbf37c305851d--roman-

“We are at Jesus’ disposal. If he wants you to be sick in bed, if he wants you to proclaim His work in the street, if he wants you to clean the toilets all day, that’s all right, everything is all right. We must say, ‘I belong to you. You can do whatever you like.’

And this is our strength. This is the joy of the Lord.”

– St. Teresa of Calcutta

BarbaraTherese    1,912
BarbaraTherese

........and an interesting detailed documentary on exorcism by Jesuit Theology Professor:, including near the end commentary on the film "The Exorcist".

Published on Oct 3, 2012

Fr. Herbert J. Ryan, S.J., a theology professor at LMU, engages us in a passionate discussion on the often controversial subject of exorcisms. As one of the primary consultants on the film The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Fr. Ryan uses his expertise in the Catholic Rite of Exorcism to help explain the unexplainable.