An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

Each woman who lives in the light of eternity can fulfill her vocation, no matter if it is in marriage,

in a religious order, or in a worldly profession.

Edith Stein "Spirituality of the Christian Woman"

Edited by BarbaraTherese

A BIT OF CHATTER

When I first shifted into my previous parish and suburb, the teenagers used to shout at me and call me "crazy lady" firstly because to them my behaviour was strange underlined by the fact they later discovered that I suffered a mental illness.  I blissfully went about whatever ignoring them.  But then a situation developed over graffiti on my rubbish bin and I took them to task at the house that was their hang-out.  A couple of days later two teenage girls appeared at my front door to apologise for the graffiti they said.  I invited them in for coffee.  Not all that long after and it was nothing to have over 15 or more teenagers in Bethany.

By the time I shifted out of that parish and suburb, they no longer called me crazy lady - pas du tout!  I often reflect back on that time with a smile and gratitude, it does seem to me that The Lord permitted the situation with my rubbish bin because He was able to draw so much good out of a rather unlikely situation.

Amen

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Vincent's Quote of the Day

St Vincent de Paul Society

Apr 24, 2017

By binding yourself entirely to God, Our Lord will bind Himself to you more closely than ever

and will be your strength in weakness,

your joy in sorrow and your steadfastness in times of indecision (VII:310).

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:58 AM, Debra Little said:

Try dear Barbara Therese for the beautiful post and link. I signed up and it's saved. Yeah. I've been in a weird place for awhile now. It can be tuff going when bipolar and ocd get in the mix and make it hard to figure out anything or make decisions. What I learned about decisions in these times is don't. 

Maybe I am a bit fearful. Didn't think of it. I know Jesus will catch me if I fall and He will help me get up. Moving is another thing. I feel stuck. Jesus is being silent right now so I wait and have faith that the sun (Son) will come out again. 

God Bless u!

Hi again Debra  - I am overly long winded and I apologise for it. :bye:

I am told I have a touch of OCD as well as Bipolar Disorder, I am wondering if you have someone you are able to open up to without fear, someone you fully trust?

My other point is that even when Jesus SEEMS to be absent, He isn't at all.  He is only absent to our human senses.  The reality is that He is as close as ever and, in fact, closer than we are to our own selves, to anything our human senses can convey - far far more in fact.  ("Truly, You are a God who lies hidden" Isaiah Ch45).   All my thoughts are not of necessity felt, rather very simply believed.  Acts of Faith and trust.  Indeed Jesus will catch you if you fall or misstep so don't be afraid to make decisions if you are at all able - just small everyday decisions not major ones.  Make your decisions trusting that Jesus with The Holy Spirit and Grace are with you and all to the Glory of The Father.  For this is our Faith and it is so.

I know that stuck feeling too and now and then it can return.  All I do is invest in what Faith tells me and trust in that and move on simply going about my days offering them to Jesus.  Sometimes I can only make very small everyday decisions and I very much agree with you that problem times are not the times for major decisions.  "Feeling stuck" is one of those spiritual trials and a time to just stay with it, it seems to me, without anxiety if possible, offering the suffering involved to Jesus united to His Cross.  It's a time to go about your day and the duties of your state and vocation as best you can and try not to get worked up over "stuck" or whatever.  Trust that Jesus knows what He is about though it is hidden from you.  "Behold I am with you, even to the consummation of the world".    I've never had any great awakening out of such difficult times, I just go about my day and my duties as best I can and then one day hindsight tells me that somehow I am no longer stuck or whatever.  Then I give thanks to God for His Care and His Grace, though I do not feel that Care nor Grace - I simply believe in it and trust in it.

I rarely, if ever, feel anything at all re spiritual matters, I simply go on in Faith and trust.  I was once a very ill woman indeed, psychotic in fact most of the time.  It has been a very long journey of over 40years and I can't say how, when or why the severe psychotic side of my illness seemed to just vanish.  It simply did as I walked in blind Faith and trust.  I made lots of mistakes, missteps (and I still do) and all I do once I realise that I have gone astray is to tell Jesus I was sorry knowing that He knew it before I did and then simply push on in Faith and trust, blind Faith and trust.  As St Therese of Lisieux said that prayer is a simple Loving glance to Heaven.  Just as serving Jesus and being faithful to Him is going about our duties and lives as we are able.  These attitudes made a great saint and Doctor of The Church of St Therese.

Obviously, someone not suffering a mental illness nor labouring with some sort of difficult day in and day out will probably go about their day far more efficiently etc. than we who do suffer MI and at times labour with related difficulties.  Yet, in our own way, we can be just as efficient as the so called best - our best is probably not something that can be observed but just as best nonetheless.  We can be saints too, not despite our illnesses, but because of them.

If you are able to open up fully to someone you trust (including before you make any major or important decisions that you might have to make), this would be a great help to you I am very sure.

Failing the above, you can always make an appointment with your parish priest, or talk with him in Confession.  Sometimes convents and/or monasteries can be very welcoming to someone who needs to talk with another human being they can trust.

Failing everything, know that you are not alone and never are.  Jesus is with you in all things regardless.

Be gentle with yourself.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:44 PM, Debra Little said:

Dear Barbara Therese, 

Ty for your sweet reply and for keeping me in your prayers. I appreciate it.  I will continue to pray for u as well. 

Bipolar is a pain in the neck but also a gift from our loving Father. St. Therese said "everything is a grace." Sometimes it's hars to see it that way and we wish for life to be a little easier. If my life was easier I would think something was wrong. I wouldn't know my own life. Suffering is a privilege. 

Luv and Hugz

Dear Debra.......I don't know how I missed these posts of yours - my apologies.

Yep, mental illness is a regular pain in the butt to the human side of us and God made us human - in Faith on the spiritual side we know that all is gift or Grace as St Therese said.  Suffering is never easy save to some and to some of our saints, but I have often wondered if suffering is found to be a Joy, can it really be suffering.  Rather I think that our saints feel the suffering very deeply in their human side just as we would, while on the spiritual in Faith they rejoice Joyfully, knowing that all is indeed a gift and a Grace - and as you have said a great privilege and honour.  The greatest.

I had a big smile with this "I would think something was wrong (without suffering). I wouldn't know my own life".  I used to feel that way and after a long period of suffering it is conditioned into our psychology or it is just the way life is.  Once The Lord lifts the suffering, one can continue for a while, perhaps a long while, waiting for things to go wrong because one has become accustomed (conditioned) to things going wrong i.e. suffering.

Relieved of a long period of suffering, one can feel that something just isn't right with my life and with me.  That is only the result of conditioning or becoming accustomed to something i.e. suffering in this instance.

Suffering is a privilege

Amen to the above, Debra, you have hit the nail right on the head - spot on!  Just as the Cross of Jesus, His Suffering and Death, was a stumbling block in the early days of The Church, so those asked to share in The Cross of Christ can be a stumbling block to many today.  They stumble because they cannot insight the dignity, privilege and honour of The Cross.

"Master, when did we see you naked or hungry?"  Jesus replies  "I tell you whatever you do to one of these, though they be of My least, then you have done it to Me."

"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Daily Reflection

Apr 26, 2017

“Look up: the highest there were the lowest here

and coveted most the poverty and humility which accompanied them

and our Master every step of his suffering life.”
– St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

There will be many I believe seated high in Heaven who never were, nor never are, recognised here on earth.

Revelations of Divine Love

Julian of Norwich 

Thirteenth Revelation, Chapter 36

It is known that afore miracles come sorrow and anguish and tribulation ; and that is for that we should know our own feebleness and our mischiefs that we are fallen in by sin, to meeken us and make us to dread God and cry for help and grace. Miracles come after that, and they come of the high Might, Wisdom, and Goodness of God, shewing His virtue and the joys of Heaven so far as it may be in this passing life: and that to strengthen our faith and to increase our hope, in charity. Wherefore it pleaseth Him to be known and worshipped in miracles. Then signifieth He thus: He willeth that we be not borne over low for sorrow and tempests that fall to us: for it hath ever so been afore miracle-coming.

Today's Saint Quote

Saint Catherine of Siena (1347-1380)

Dominican tertiary, Doctor of the Church
Dialogues 167, 2-3 (trans. ©Suzanne Noffke)

http://dailygospel.org/main.php?language=AM&module=commentary&localdate=20170429&id=4874

"I bless you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth"

Excerpt:........."Let my memory be great enough to hold your favors, and set my will ablaze in your charity’s fire. Let that fire burst the seed of my body and bring forth blood; then with that blood, given for love of your blood, and with the key of obedience, let me unlock heaven’s gate. I heartily ask the same of you for every reasoning creature, all and each of them, and for the mystic body of holy Church. I acknowledge, and do not deny, that you loved me before I existed, and that you love me unspeakably much, as one gone mad over your creature. "

5 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Saint Catherine of Siena (1347-1380)

Dominican tertiary, Doctor of the Church
Dialogues 167, 2-3 (trans. ©Suzanne Noffke)

I am studying in Rome right now, so I got to visit her tomb on her feast day! 

Vincent's Quote of the Day

Apr 30, 2017

What does it matter where God is served, provided he is served,

that it be done on behalf of souls for whom Jesus Christ has died,

and that it be done through ways most advantageous for them (VII:346-347).

1 hour ago, Lamb said:

I am studying in Rome right now, so I got to visit her tomb on her feast day! 

How truly wonderful for you - a great blessing.  May St Catherine watch over your studies.

5 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

How truly wonderful for you - a great blessing.  May St Catherine watch over your studies.

Thanks for the prayers! St. Catherine is one of my favorites. I'm actually going home in under a week. I have two tests left to take, both oral. :twitch: 

:like2:Blessings on your oral tests  -  and a safe and happy trip home - all with St Catherine's prayers, mine too.

1st March 2017

St Joseph The Worker

Prayer to St Joseph

Unemployment

Dear Saint Joseph, you were yourself once faced with the responsibility of providing the necessities of life for Jesus and Mary. Look down with fatherly compassion upon me in my anxiety with my present inability to support my family. Please help me find gainful employment very soon, so that this great burden of concern will be lifted from my heart and that I am soon able to provide for those whom God has entrusted to my care. Help me guard against discouragement, so that I may emerge from this trail spiritually enriched and with even greater blessings from God. Amen.