An Old School Catholic Message Board

Consecrated Virgin In The World - 50 Words Or Less

Cecilia

Thanks ! Shall wait for the English version. Wouldn't it be good to have a discussion on it ?

I'm sure it will come out on the vatican website, which is why i'm not sure if to buy it.

however i am not averse to buying it, translating and posting the translation online here. though this might be illegal. im not sure?

God's Beloved

If you have made up your mind about receiving the consecration , then it would be good I think, to reflect on it , since it will give you a sense about how Pope Francis sees the future of Cons. life . I wonder how much of the letter would apply to CV.

Picking up passages on CV would be okay . On several websites of consecrated / religious institutions, they have quoted parts of it.

If you have made up your mind about receiving the consecration , then it would be good I think, to reflect on it , since it will give you a sense about how Pope Francis sees the future of Cons. life . I wonder how much of the letter would apply to CV.

Picking up passages on CV would be okay . On several websites of consecrated / religious institutions, they have quoted parts of it.

Oh yes, what I meant was, I didnt see why I should buy it if it will come out for free on the vatican website. However my SD is a consecrated person, and he wants to read it too. So I am going to buy it today and translate whenever I recieve it. Will PM you in due course , though it may be a while for it to get to me in the post (maybe 2 weeks?) as I cannot see where one can buy a digital copy - so relying on snail mail hard copy LOL. I do not think it is legal to post a full translation freely avaliable online, and my italian isnt great anyway. No doubt I will be harshly corrected by many CV theologians.

I am also grateful to ABC for posting about St Thomas Aquinas definition of virginity. I am making a thorough examination of conscience with a priest based on that definition shortly (I am physically virginal but all that stuff about losing your virgiity by kissing etc I am not sure if it is right). It is his feast day today in the 1962 calendar - St Thomas Aquinas Ora Pro Nobis!!

Also, there is an Ordo Virginum conference running concurrently with one for secular insitututes and monastics on 18 - 21 Nov

Meanwhile http://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/es/bollettino/pubblico/2014/01/31/0072/00149.html
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Home> Boletín > 2014 > 01> 31

PRESS CONFERENCE PRESENTATION OF THE YEAR DEDICATED TO Consecrated Life 2015 31/01/2014

[ B0072 ]

PRESS CONFERENCE PRESENTATION OF THE YEAR DEDICATED TO Consecrated Life 2015

● ACTION CARD. JOÃO Braz de Aviz

● INTERVENTION S.E. MGR. Jose Rodriguez Carballo

At 11.30 this morning, in the John Paul II Hall of the Holy See Press Office , held a press conference dedicated to the presentation of the Year Consecrated Life will be celebrated in 2015.
Speakers Em . Cardinal João Braz de Aviz, Prefect of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life and SE Archbishop José Rodríguez Carballo , OFM , Secretary of the same Congregation .
We publish the following actions :

● ACTION CARD. JOÃO Braz de Aviz

Good day to all !

I greet and thank all of you, dear journalists , for your presence and for the attention given to the consecrated life , how I thank you, also , the Vatican Press Office for the welcome very much in favor of this " press conference " we thought to play as the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life. On this occasion, we bring you the greetings of all those who work in that congregation (about forty people) and , of course, all the consecrated women and men around the world.

On the 29th November 2013 the Holy Father Francis, at the end of the meeting with 120 superiors general of institutes of men in the Synod Hall at the Vatican , which took place in an atmosphere of joy and spontaneity - the Pope Francis spoke " to arm " answering some questions - has announced that the year 2015 will be dedicated to the consecrated life. The news was welcomed with applause by the assembly, had been communicated by the Secretary of State to our congregation a few days before. The Pope Francis welcomed as a suggestion that the Prefect and the Secretary of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life , after hearing so many consecrated , they had submitted a few days before, during a private audience . On that occasion had already approved the proposal speakerphone.

Following the mandate of the Holy Father transmitted by the Secretary of State, our Council is proceeding with the preparation of this year . At this time we are able to communicate the goals of this year , which we consider a time of grace for the consecrated life and for the Church , and some of the initiatives that will be implemented in the course of its operation .

First of all we would like to say that this Year of the consecrated life has been thought of in the context of the 50th anniversary of the Second Vatican Council, and in particular on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the publication of the conciliar Decree Perfectae Caritatis on the renewal of consecrated life .

We believe that the council has been a breath of the Spirit not only for the whole Church , but perhaps especially , for the consecrated life . We also believe that in these 50 years, the consecrated life has come a fruitful journey of renewal , certainly not exempt from difficulties and hardships , the commitment to follow what the Council asked the consecrated : fidelity to the Lord , the Church, to their own charism and the man of today (cf. PC 2) .

Just because we recognize in these 50 years that separate us from the Council for a moment of grace for the consecrated life , as marked by the presence of the Spirit that leads us to live their weaknesses and infidelities as an experience of the mercy and love of God , we want this year is an opportunity to do " grateful remembrance " of this recent past. That's the first goal of the Year of the consecrated life.

The consecrated life, as the Pope recalled the encounter with Francis Superiors General , "is complex , it is made of sin and grace." This year we want to acknowledge and confess our weakness , but we also want to " shout" to the world with strength and joy holiness and vitality that are present in the consecrated life . How much sanctity , often hidden but no less fruitful , monasteries , convents , in the houses of consecrated , leading these men and women to be " living icons " of God " thrice holy " ! This conviction leads us to confess with the Apostle that "where sin abounded , grace soprabbondò ." We also invite all of you pastors , priests and lay people to join our gratitude for the gift of consecrated life in the world and to the Church itself .

With the positive outlook on this season of grace that goes from the Council until today , we want to - and here's the second objective - " embrace the future with hope." We are well aware that the present moment is " delicate and difficult ", as stated in John Paul II consecrated life ( cf. VC 13 ) and that the crisis facing society and the Church itself fully touches the consecrated life. But we want to take this crisis as the antechamber of death, but as a kairos , an opportunity for the growth in depth and, therefore , hope , motivated by the certainty that the consecrated life in the Church will never disappear , because ' was commissioned by Jesus himself as part of his adamant Church "( Pope Benedict XVI to Brazilian Bishops on ad limina visit , November 5, 2010 ) . With so many " prophets of doom " we want to remain men and women of hope, a hope that is not based on our " chariots and horses ", ie on our own strength , our numbers, but on Him in whom we placed our trust . In Him, no one will steal our hope.

This hope does not spare us , and I'm well aware of the consecrated, to live the present with enthusiasm - the third objective of this Year of the consecrated life . The passion comes to falling in love, true friendship , of profound communion ... All this is when we talk of consecrated life, and it is this that gives beauty to the lives of so many men and women who profess the evangelical counsels and follow " more closely" Christ in this state of life. The Year of the consecrated life will be an important time to "evangelize" their vocation and witness the beauty of following Christ in the many forms in which it expresses itself in our lives. Consecrated collect the baton left to them by their founders and foundresses . Driven by the Pope Francis, in this year they want to " wake up the world" with their prophetic witness , particularly with their presence in the suburbs of poverty and of existential thought , as the Pope Francis asked the Superior General .

The consecrated men and women are aware that, in addition to telling the great story they have written in the past, are called to no less beautiful and great story in the future ( cf. VC 110) . All this will bring the religious and consecrated persons to continue the renewal proposed by the Second , by strengthening their relationship with the Lord, fraternal life in community , mission, and taking care of training to meet the challenges of our time, in order to " propose anew » and « dynamic fidelity "and creative (cf. VC 37 ) the experience of their founders and foundresses .

Here are the main objectives of the Year of the consecrated life , for which we thank the Holy Father Francis.

I will now turn the floor to the Secretary of the Congregation , Archbishop José Rodríguez Carballo , who will present a number of initiatives for this year .

[ 00149-01.01 ] [Original text: Italian ]

● INTERVENTION S.E. MGR. Jose Rodriguez Carballo

I also greet all of you and thank you for what you do to join us in this year dedicated to the consecrated life which we will celebrate in 2015 , on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the promulgation of the conciliar Decree Perfectae Caritatis , which for us continues to be an obligatory point of reference .

In this talk , first of all , I want to tell you that we will propose to the Holy Father that the Year of Consecrated Life begins next month in October , coinciding with the publication of the conciliar Constitution Lumen gentium , with particular reference to Chapter VI , which speaks the consecrated life. Also propose that the Year of the consecrated life is closed during the month of November 2015.

The main activities planned for this year , I have no doubt that in defining a year of grace for the Church and in particular for consecrated life , are:

• Official start of the Year of consecrated life with a solemn Mass in Saint Peter's Basilica , presided over by the Holy Father if possible . This celebration , depending on the agenda of the Holy Father , could be the day November 21, 2014 , the World Day " Pro Orantibus ."

• Plenary Assembly of the Congregation , which will be held in the month of November and that, starting from Jesus' saying "new wine in new bottles " , the theme will be : The novum in the consecrated life since Vatican II.

• Several international meetings in Rome. Among these are the following :

- Meeting for young men and women religious : the novices, and perpetually professed temporary vows with less than 10 years in the profession ;

- Meeting of trainers and trainers ;

- International Congress of Theology of Consecrated Life , organized by the Pontifical Council , the USG and UISG and with the collaboration of the Pontifical Universities , on the theme " Renewal of consecrated life in the light of the Council and prospects for the future" ;

- International exhibition on "The Gospel consecrated life in human history " , with various stands according to the different charisms .

All these meetings will in close collaboration with the USG and the UISG , and is expected to last a week. At the end of each one will ask an Audience with the Holy Father .

For the conclusion of the Year of consecrated life is thought also to a solemn celebration presided by the Holy Father. Could be, always in agreement with him , the day November 21, 2015 at age 50 of the Decree Perfectae Caritatis .

To prepare for this year , the Department intends to publish a newsletter every four months on topics relating to the consecrated life. The first of these letters will come out with circular on 2 February this year , on the occasion of the World Day of Consecrated Life, and will be dedicated to the Magisterium of the Pope Francis on the consecrated life. Will be titled : "Rejoice ."

Also in preparation for the Year of consecrated life our Council , responding to the desire of the Holy Father , has organized a symposium on the management of economic goods and capital from the religious. This symposium , designed primarily for the Superiors General and the general and provincial treasurers , will be held on 8-9 March this year at the auditorium of the University " Antonianum " in Rome.

Even for contemplative nuns propose some initiatives for the Year of consecrated life in accordance with their specific form of life . One of these will be a " Chain of Prayer among the monasteries ."

In all these initiatives, we want to give a cut particularly formative , knowing that is where we play in shaping the present and the future of the evangelical significance of consecrated life.

A second piece of information that we want to offer you some documents that relates to prepare the congregation.

In close collaboration with the Congregation for Bishops, by mandate of the Holy Father , you are giving the first steps for the revision of Mutuae relationes on the relationship between bishops and religious in the Church.

Always sent to the Holy Father will proceed to the discounting of education Verbs sponsa , which is autonomy and cloistered contemplative nuns entirely .

We expect to be able to conclude in a short time processing the document on the life and mission of religious brothers and sisters.

Even in the short term we expect to offer several institutes of consecrated life guidelines and guidelines on the management of the assets.

A first text processing concerns the vocation and mission of lay brothers belonging to the Institutes . It is a document on which it was done a great job , in close collaboration with the institutes concerned, and which we hope will be published soon.

Another work that the Department is doing, even if we are really in its infancy, is the revision of verbs sponsa on the contemplative life , with special attention to the autonomy of the monasteries and cloistered . The current document that holds these two characteristic elements of the form of wholly contemplative life , Verbs sponsa , is relatively recent , having been published on 13 May 1999. But the evolution of the contemplative life in recent years makes it necessary to revise the current regulation of the cloister and autonomy , making special reference to the training . This revision will be in close collaboration with the contemplative .

During the Year of the consecrated life by the Holy Father expects a new Apostolic Constitution on the contemplative life in place of the sponsa Christi promulgated by Pope Pius XII in 1950.

A third document on which our Council , in collaboration with the Congregation for Bishops, will begin to work in short is Mutuae relationes . Already more than 10 years ago, a Synod was asked to review this document that guides the relations between bishops and religious. As requested by many, today this revision becomes urgent . The Holy Father gave a mandate to the two congregations concerned to put his hand to that revision.

A final document at the construction site is on the management of assets by the consecrated. This is a topic which often appears in the work of our Council . The document is quite elaborate and we think it can be published in the coming months . With this document we want to offer religious guidance and guidelines to keep in mind in the face of complex situations that arise in this field.

I conclude my speech by inviting the various Conferences of Religious and Unions of Superiors to plan well this year and to give any kind of advice that can help you to plan and live this Year of consecrated life in such a way that it becomes truly a "year of grace " .

Thank you for your attention.

[ 00150-01.01 ] [Original text: Italian ]

[ B0072 - XX.02 ]

God's Beloved

Thanks Oremus !

What do readers feel about the vocation of CV being termed ' consecrated single' [ consecrated to a single life]. I personally am against this term because it gives the wrong message.....as if the vocation is merely a celibate life and can be misinterpreted as solitary life , or something that strictly forbids living in groups.[ We know that some monasteries , secular inst. and lay associations use this rite of consecration.]. The Essence of the vocation is about being a virgin, bride of Christ, spiritual mother serving the church. Whether the rite is used by women living alone or with family or in groups of CV ---is not related to the Essence.

The Essence of the vocation is diluted and the accidents are changed into the Essence in some dioceses.

God's Beloved

I am wondering whether a few posts on Tools for Communication would help the discussion and debate that involves people coming from varied backgrounds, motivations, methodology.

One of the  tools is the 'Daisy model of communication'

http://www.afs.org/blog/icl/?p=2475

Anyone familiar with it ? Or should I elaborate ?

God's Beloved

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19900524_theologian-vocation_en.html

26. In the dialogue, a two-fold rule should prevail. When there is a question of the communion of faith, the principle of the "unity of truth" (unitas veritatis) applies. When it is a question of differences which do not jeopardize this communion, the "unity of charity" (unitas caritatis) should be safeguarded.