An Old School Catholic Message Board

Orthodox Books Recommendations?

veritasluxmea

Does anyone have a (good) recommendation for a book on Orthodoxy? Like a nice, thoughtful commentary on the history/theology/culture of Orthodoxy, what it's been and done in the past and what it's doing now and where we're going from here. 

What I'm not looking for here is an apologetics book for Orthodoxy. I'm thinking something along the lines of a book written by a theologian who's a convert, or has spent a lot of time in Orthodox-dominated circles, something along the lines of "101 questions on Orthodoxy", that's thorough and honest. 

Secondly, does anyone know of a book that discusses the claims of Orthodoxy from a Catholic apologetics standpoint? Like the stuff from Catholic Answers? One that's actually GOOD and insightful, not cookie-cutter...

Or if you have a combination of books but a bunch of different people, and the order you think they should be read, like starting with history and ending in apologetics and switching between different biases- that would be even better. 

From an Orthodox perspective, Kallistos Ware's The Orthodox Church. From a Catholic perspective Aiden Nichols Rome and the Eastern Churches. 

Why didn't you just private message Marigold? :P

He he, I get it ;) But in all seriousness, I don't know if she would have any recommendations, if they would be helpful to me, or even if she wants to give out recommendations. I would love her input but whatever, it's cool. 

From an Orthodox perspective, Kallistos Ware's The Orthodox Church. From a Catholic perspective Aiden Nichols Rome and the Eastern Churches. 

Thanks, I will look those up. 

I was going to recommend Ware as well.

I would highly recommend Geoffrey Hull's book Banished Heart: Origins of Heteroproxis in the Catholic Church. It is not strictly about Orthodoxy, but its scope includes the points at which the eastern and western Churches began to diverge, the reasons for that divergence, and its implications down the road. It is primarily in the context of the Liturgy, but by nature that leads into theology and ecclesiology as well. 

It gives a very interesting, IMO rather unique perspective on the Orthodox, from a Catholic perspective. And I would daresay that it is a very friendly perspective too.

What about GK Chesterton's book, Orthodoxy? Hard reading, but very rewarding. I don't know if that's what you are looking for though..

The OP is specifically looking for books about Eastern Orthodoxy. While Orthodoxy is a great book, it isn't about Eastern Christianity. 

Of the two books I recommended, I've only read parts. A little of Ware, but more of Nichols. I can't recommend Nichols enough, not the easiest read, but excellent. 

Edited by Amppax

Here are some standard introductory books on Orthodoxy:

Metropolitan Kallistos Ware's The Orthodox Church has already been mentioned and is something of a classic. It provides a historical overview and general description of Orthodox practice. (It is also available on line here).

Metropolitan Kallistos' The Orthodox Way is also really good as a supplement to that. It provides more of an introduction to Orthodox faith and life.

Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev's The Mystery of Faith. An Introduction to the Teaching and Spirituality of the Orthodox Church is similar to The Orthodox Faith, but is more extensive.

Father Alexander Schmemann's For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy is also something of a recent classic that is well-worth reading.

Father Thomas Hopko's The Orthodox Faith: An Elementary Handbook on the Orthodox Church is a good basic introduction in four volumes that cover doctrine, worship, the Bible and Church history, and spirituality. It can be found online here.

Father Vassilios Papavassiliou's Journey to the Kingdom. An Insider's Look at the Liturgy and Beliefs of the Eastern Orthodox Church is a very accessible introduction to Orthodox faith through the participation in the Divine Liturgy. (His other little books on Advent, Holy Week and Lent also give a very good and accessible entry into these seasons through the liturgical texts).

Oh, and I forgot the best of all! This is not a typical "introduction" and it is more theological, although written from a personal perspective:

Father Andrew Louth's Introducing Eastern Orthodox Theology. This was originally written as a series of lectures delivered at the Amsterdam Centre for Eastern Orthodox Theology (that I think were part of a Master's programme that included non-Orthodox students) and the original lectures can be found here. (Scroll to the bottom and find the pdf files called OrthodoxTheologyPersonalIntroductionLouth...).

I second the Metropolitan Kallistos recommendation, and Egeria's first list - haven't read the Louth.

How about The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to Its History, Doctrine, and Spiritual Culture by John McGuckin - there's your theologian who's a convert.

Thanks to Nihil for the Banished Heart suggestion. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places, but I've been very disappointed by the standard of Catholic writing about the Orthodox Church. One of you guys could change that? :)

Edited by marigold

How about The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to Its History, Doctrine, and Spiritual Culture by John McGuckin - there's your theologian who's a convert.

I've heard good things about it Marigold, but have not yet got hold of it because of the price - although that now seems less than it was when it first came out. But I like what I've read of Fr McGuckin, so am sure it would be worth getting hold of. And it's probably ideal in this context.