An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gifts For First Time Mom

CrossCuT

Anyone have any "must have" items for when they had their first baby or any baby? Im looking to buy a gift for my brothers fiance because they are expecting their first at the beginning of May! :) :)

Like maybe one of those baby slings? I just want to get something that you moms think would be a big help!!!

She has a really good sense of humor so maybe even a book for humor relief when you feel stressed or overwhelmed? Just any ideas would be great!

diapers. find out if they plan to do disposable or not, what brand she wants. 

they are expensive and people dont tend to give them at baby showers.

I didnt even think about that!

I didnt even think about that!

Diapers (and not just newborn sizes, babies go through the newborn and size 1s so quickly and then stay at around size 3 for a while),

Also good size sturdy burp cloths when I was working at the maternity home  burp cloths were needed all the time. Pretty much if you got handed a baby, you got either a bib or a burp cloth too. Babies drool.... lots.....

If you're in the local area, home cooked meals and help with chores. Does't really work for a baby shower, but it's great for post partum. It's been my family's absolute favorite thing we've gotten after both my daughters were born. My dad stopping by and doing dishes and our friends from church bringing meals (especially ones that are great as leftovers) a few times a week made the first two weeks incredibly more manageable.

Anyone have any "must have" items for when they had their first baby or any baby? Im looking to buy a gift for my brothers fiance because they are expecting their first at the beginning of May! :) :)

Like maybe one of those baby slings? I just want to get something that you moms think would be a big help!!!

She has a really good sense of humor so maybe even a book for humor relief when you feel stressed or overwhelmed? Just any ideas would be great!

go to goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul and get onesies - seriously so nice to have older onesies that you didn't care if baby had a blowout or something. 

diapers and wipes and baby lotion and butt paste (seriously, that's what it is called) and baby wash. 

if you live close enough, time for momma to go take a shower or go help do laundry or wash dishes

I wouldn't suggest blankets (6+ years later and I still have baby blankets hiding places), or baby socks or shoes. maybe one nice or cute outfit. 

Can't have enough Diapers! Hiney wipes, Desitin, receiving blankets or a small blanket ( my kids loved blankets, still do). The gowns that have the mist its to cover their hands and that cinch at the bottom.

A friend of mine - a woman of a certain age - gives her daughters-in-law the same gift with each child they have - a spa day.

She figures that after being more or less uncomfortable for nine months, and after however-many hours of labor, the new mom appreciates the pampering.

Archaeology cat

Others have beat me to it. Cloth diapers are expensive initially, and disposables add up, too, so diapers are always appreciated. I like babywearing, so my aunt got me a sling (I have a wrap, a ring sling, and 2 mei tais; Tulas are all the rage now, but still really pricey).