An Old School Catholic Message Board

Beautiful video of our Holy Father washing female prisoner's feet

Aragon

BarbTherese

Thank you for posting the video, Aragon.

I had my feet washed at Easter Vigil this year - and I actually had it (one foot only) fully washed and dried (most often it's just a token wash) - all that was missing was soap.

puellapaschalis

The Mandatum should be only men.

At least when done within Mass, which I think this was.

Ash Wednesday

I don't recall the specifics, but I read it in a book somewhere that apparently Pope St. John XXIII said something related. Some people in the Vatican around him weren't listening to him and he sighed and something like "Never mind me, I'm just the pope around here..."

puellapaschalis

Being Pope doesn't give a man carte blanche to just change things, despite what said man (and any number of others) might think. If the ritual says viri (as opposed to homo) then it's quite clear that men, and not women, are signified.

Nihil Obstat

The pope can do as he wishes including excusing himself from that law. But the law - and make no mistake it is a law - is clear that the Mandatum is reserved for men.

Even if the current law says only men should have their feet washed I think this is a pretty amazing video. I do think the law should eventually be changed. Sure, the Mandatum is about the priesthood, but at its heart it's also about how those in authority are called to use their position to serve others in imitation of Our Lord. The Vicar of Christ kisses the feet of Christ in the imprisoned and abandoned! What a beautiful expression of the humility to which we're all called.

The Mandatum should be only men.

​I had no idea there is actually a law. Why does this law exist?

Nihil Obstat

​I had no idea there is actually a law. Why does this law exist?

​Because of the meaning of the ritual.

​Because of the meaning of the ritual.

​Which is... a "re-enactment" (I know there's a better word...) of Jesus washing his disciples' feet?

Am I missing something?

truthfinder

Yes, the Latin is "Viri selecti", also because of the intrinsic relationship between this Mass and the institution of the priesthood.