An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can an only child discern?

ErinMarie

MarysLittleFlower

Jean Pierre du Caussade SJ.  If one is obtaining a copy make sure his letters are included - they are very important I explaining his theology in that they answer specific problems with various people.

Available online:  http://www.ccel.org/ccel/decaussade/abandonment.html

I forgot! Yes its his book :) Dom Vitalis Lehodey wrote another book on Abandonment and Ways of Mental Prayer. All are great! 

Welcome to Phatmass, ErinMarie!

If you are discerning the active life, you might consider communities that work in elder care. I have known sisters who were only children who entered these communities specifically so that, when their parents needed care, they could be cared for in the community that the sisters served in. I know that the Congregation of the Divine Spirit in Canton, Ohio, guarantees a place in their elder home for the parents of sisters.

I have also spoken to cloistered sisters who were granted a "dispensation" of sorts by their communities to return home when their parents' health failed, so that they could care for them. When their parents died, they simply returned to the cloister. This is more unusual, and would obviously need to be discussed with the community in advance, but I find that the more "modern" communities don't rule this out. Charity applies even—especially!—to one's own family, of course.