An Old School Catholic Message Board

So I Went Out on the Town Tonight

PhuturePriest

Ash Wednesday

Blessings on your Marian consecration! I'm interested in reading your commentary on the Montfort consecration.

PhuturePriest

Blessings on your Marian consecration! I'm interested in reading your commentary on the Montfort consecration.

Eh, I wrote it my first day at work, and I'm not exactly pleased with it, but here's the end result: http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/true-devotion-part-two

We were super busy with covering the Satanic fiasco undercover, so our editor didn't really have time to look over it. 

PhuturePriest

Satanic fiasco? 

Yesterday we went undercover to scout the location for a Satanic gathering, and then we went in that evening to get outside coverage while four of our guys acted as spies on the inside in order to get coverage of it on their cameras. 

This was all of course done under the direction of a priest, and we have legitimate theologians here on staff.

Thanks! Do you have any specific sites/museums that you really recommend? We are partial to free ones.

That's like picking a favorite pie.   I can't think of one I wouldn't have at least once.  

Considering its August and will be hot, I'd go with the Capital Building, Library of Congress for a quick peek, see a copy of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.   The Star Spangled banner 's new display is under whelming.  

If you can take the heat, Arlington National Cemetery and Lincoln Memorial are worth extended visits.  It depends on your interests and what's worth learning about beforehand.  

Even riding the Metro is an adventure    DC's compares well with London's and Paris' but smaller.  I'd guess you're like me and haven't experienced that as a young adult.  If you can locate an adventurous local, that's fantastic. 

I honestly find the Smithsonians a little over rated.   Not worth if only visiting one day.  

Yesterday we went undercover to scout the location for a Satanic gathering, and then we went in that evening to get outside coverage while four of our guys acted as spies on the inside in order to get coverage of it on their cameras. 

This was all of course done under the direction of a priest, and we have legitimate theologians here on staff.

Ah, I just read about it. I was just asking because I hadn't heard anything about this when I first saw your post. 

I say the Holocaust Museum, but I spent only 4-5 hours there (could have spent days) and was emotionally wrung-out. I also went to the the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (the Wall) but that's because it was personal. 

PhuturePriest

I say the Holocaust Museum, but I spent only 4-5 hours there (could have spent days) and was emotionally wrung-out. I also went to the the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (the Wall) but that's because it was personal. 

I'm a person that generally has to physically be somewhere where something is happening in order to be emotionally affected by it. I didn't blink while watching Schindler's List, for instance.

Archaeology cat

I'm a person that generally has to physically be somewhere where something is happening in order to be emotionally affected by it. I didn't blink while watching Schindler's List, for instance.

The Holocaust museum is different from watching a movie. You follow these people's lives, seeing what happened to them. They take the effort to make sure the visitors there establish a more personal connection with the victims, from what I remember. And if that fails, ask St Kolbe to help. :) 

Nihil Obstat

I remember seeing a Holocaust exhibit in the Imperial War Museum that displayed personal items confiscated from people booked into concentration camps. Rings and shoes, especially. Very powerful.

The Holocaust museum is different from watching a movie. You follow these people's lives, seeing what happened to them. They take the effort to make sure the visitors there establish a more personal connection with the victims, from what I remember. And if that fails, ask St Kolbe to help. :) 

I havent been there myself, but I believe they give each visitor a card with a certain victim on them. You get to read about them and their story and follow their journey as you go through the museum. 

PhuturePriest

I havent been there myself, but I believe they give each visitor a card with a certain victim on them. You get to read about them and their story and follow their journey as you go through the museum. 

Yes, and at the end you learn if your person lived or died.

I personally don't care for it.  I've visited 3-4 times.  It's an important memorial as society forgets quickly. It strikes me as processed and trying to force emotional responses like a preachy school lesson.  Always a ton of people and kids.  

veritasluxmea

Always a ton of people and kids.  

My biggest pet peeve with museums in NY was they were crawling with school groups and talking people who were rushing around. Not the best environment to walk reflectively through the exhibits and actually process, read, and think about the displays. Really annoying. 

PhuturePriest

My biggest pet peeve with museums in NY was they were crawling with school groups and talking people who were rushing around. Not the best environment to walk reflectively through the exhibits and actually process, read, and think about the displays. Really annoying. 

I will call ahead and reserve the museum hours for my friends and I.