An Old School Catholic Message Board

So I Went Out on the Town Tonight

PhuturePriest

veritasluxmea

I honestly think museums should have "quiet days" where no school groups are allowed and all conversations must be quiet. That would help a lot. 

Nihil Obstat

I honestly think museums should have "quiet days" where no school groups are allowed and all conversations must be quiet. That would help a lot. 

Also no German tourists. :|

;)

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

museums should be like libraries. whispering only.

Nihil Obstat

Racist.

From my time as a tourist, I tend to find Germans ruder than many other groups. :P

Not The Philosopher

Solution: "NOTICE: Any and all belligerent and/or noisy patrons shall be mummified and put on display. Be Courteous!"

veritasluxmea

A sign isn't going to stop the sixth grade kids from running around the exhibit in packs laughing at the naked mannequins. What are they, 12 years old? During quiet day, all children must be accompanied by a parents or legal guardian- no school groups. If I personally took my kids I wouldn't have that issue of them running around or being loud. I was going to suggest ban all children but that sounds a little harsh, even to me. 

Archaeology cat

A sign isn't going to stop the sixth grade kids from running around the exhibit in packs laughing at the naked mannequins. What are they, 12 years old? During quiet day, all children must be accompanied by a parents or legal guardian- no school groups. If I personally took my kids I wouldn't have that issue of them running around or being loud. I was going to suggest ban all children but that sounds a little harsh, even to me. 

And I'd be angry if I couldn't take my kids to museums. ;) I don't think I've ever been to the British Museum when there weren't school groups, but I'm glad the kids are being exposed to that!  In Liverpool it was easier to time it so I could avoid large school groups. We don't go to the museums nearly as often here in FL since they aren't free. :( 

veritasluxmea

Ooo, now I'm getting really into it. I think museums already do something similar- but what if, say, the Met in NY had an Adult Only Black Tie event? Formal clothes (but comfortable shoes!) and they could kick it off at, say, 8 pm. Full tour of the best parts of the museum- they could show the stuff in the back that isn't usually on display, go into planning for the museum and how they decided to show this and that, cool stories about the artists and works, the history behind the interesting items. Afterwords, a formal dinner, live music, with craft wine and beers (local only, of course) and a silent auction- full sized replicas of some of the paintings show earlier. New Years Eve would be a great time, stay up until midnight. It would be amesome if they had enough interest and funds to do something like that. 

And I'd be angry if I couldn't take my kids to museums. 

You would really be angry if you couldn't take your kids to the museum for an adult event a couple hours out of the year. Hey, if a fundraiser like that was popular it would lower admissions prices. 

Archaeology cat

Ooo, now I'm getting really into it. I think museums already do something similar- but what if, say, the Met in NY had an Adult Only Black Tie event? Formal clothes (but comfortable shoes!) and they could kick it off at, say, 8 pm. Full tour of the best parts of the museum- they could show the stuff in the back that isn't usually on display, go into planning for the museum and how they decided to show this and that, cool stories about the artists and works, the history behind the interesting items. Afterwords, a formal dinner, live music, with craft wine and beers (local only, of course) and a silent auction- full sized replicas of some of the paintings show earlier. New Years Eve would be a great time, stay up until midnight. It would be amesome if they had enough interest and funds to do something like that. 

You would really be angry if you couldn't take your kids to the museum for an adult event a couple hours out of the year. Hey, if a fundraiser like that was popular it would lower admissions prices. 

No, I was responding to the "ban all kids" line. That being said, if I took my kids to a black tie event, I'd only do so if I could expect them to behave accordingly (and yes, kids can do that - I grew up going to the symphony regularly and knew what was expected, as well as going to dinner at very fancy restaurants with my grandparents). 

PhuturePriest

No, I was responding to the "ban all kids" line. That being said, if I took my kids to a black tie event, I'd only do so if I could expect them to behave accordingly (and yes, kids can do that - I grew up going to the symphony regularly and knew what was expected, as well as going to dinner at very fancy restaurants with my grandparents). 

Indeed. Granted, it helps that I was always a very mellow and calm child, but growing up people always commented to my parents about how well-behaved and calm I was. Having behaved children isn't impossible, you just have to know how to do it.

Personally, I have no clue how other than to pray to only have introverted children, but my parents seem to know the trick. :P

Archaeology cat

Indeed. Granted, it helps that I was always a very mellow and calm child, but growing up people always commented to my parents about how well-behaved and calm I was. Having behaved children isn't impossible, you just have to know how to do it.

Personally, I have no clue how other than to pray to only have introverted children, but my parents seem to know the trick. :P

I took my 7-year-old to watch Itzhak Perlman. He was perfectly behaved. He's also naturally calm (not shy at all, just calm). He wasn't like that as a 2-year-old, of course, so maybe there's hope for my loud Leo. Charlotte is quite shy in public, so I'm sure she'd do well, too. The kids know my expectations. 

That's like picking a favorite pie.   I can't think of one I wouldn't have at least once.  

Considering its August and will be hot, I'd go with the Capital Building, Library of Congress for a quick peek, see a copy of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.   The Star Spangled banner 's new display is under whelming.  

If you can take the heat, Arlington National Cemetery and Lincoln Memorial are worth extended visits.  It depends on your interests and what's worth learning about beforehand.  

Even riding the Metro is an adventure    DC's compares well with London's and Paris' but smaller.  I'd guess you're like me and haven't experienced that as a young adult.  If you can locate an adventurous local, that's fantastic. 

I honestly find the Smithsonians a little over rated.   Not worth if only visiting one day.  

+1 on Arlington National Cemetery.  You can get there on the Metro, I believe.  When I was there years ago, I was moved when I visited the section that was for small children (less than 2 years old, as I recall) of service members. 

PhuturePriest

What do people do on sidewalks in Kansas?

And are you going bald?

Sidewalks are just there to look pretty. It's more the idea that people can walk on them, rather than the reality of it.

I prefer to think of it as "going cost-efficient", on account of how much money I'll save from not buying shampoo and paying for haircuts.