An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Low-Wage Restaurant Workers Be Paid More?

Gabriela

julianneoflongbeach

This article only addresses one small part of a much bigger problem. No, those who work at fast food chains shouldn't be paid a living wage that's far above federal and state minium wages for basic entry level jobs. But most food service workers work in actual restaurants and for some ungodly reason they (in the USA) have a separate industry minimum wage that I think is still under $3/hr. Which makes tips (which are taxed) very important for them. I think that should be where the real outrage is.

In my opinion the US minimum wage should be the living wage everywhere for every sort of hourly work. Corporations have a larger profit margin than ever before, yet wages are stagnant. Full time, non salaried jobs are difficult to come by because they come with the added cost of required benefits and possible overtime. And don't get me started on what those in the military are making. In most states, those who are military qualify for food stamps, yet their yearly raises (that don't even make up for inflation) are cancelled and are being forced to incur other costs that have always been free in return for their service. (And, yes, this talk of burger flippers getting paid much more than they are when they risk their lives pisses them off!)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

It isn't about how risky a job is, people in high risk jobs are trained as best can be to deal with the risk. A burger flipper is no less important to the cogs of this earth than a brain surgeon and should be treated as such. Although i am not saying all should be paid the same wage. The U.S. minimum wage is far inadequate and in need of an overhaul. Sinor fussel butt sprout has spooketh. lol. J/k. No really you can't see that peoples?

Idk, i could be wrong, but that isn't usual. :P

I'm usually half correct or totally correct, that's why i'm joining FP and changing my name to FP(Future pope). LOL. Seriously funny right, nargh im only joking, carry on columbus.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I'm torn on this issue because I do think wages need to rise. But I think the big problem is the disappearance of middle class jobs. As they vanish more adults are winding up trying to provide for families on these McJobs which were never intended for that. They're meant for short term, casual employment. It's sad these are the only jobs left for unskilled workers. Some people don't have the IQ for skilled work and they still deserve to contribute to society and support themselves with dignity. It's actually quite a few people, maybe 10-15%, arent cut out for all these high tech training programs. 

I don't know what the answer is but raising the minimum wage is just a band aid. In a few years other prices catch up to wage inflation and you have to gather the political will to do it again. Meanwhile you have an economy based on feeding people and not making things or problem-solving. 

I'm torn on this issue because I do think wages need to rise. But I think the big problem is the disappearance of middle class jobs. As they vanish more adults are winding up trying to provide for families on these McJobs which were never intended for that. They're meant for short term, casual employment. It's sad these are the only jobs left for unskilled workers. Some people don't have the IQ for skilled work and they still deserve to contribute to society and support themselves with dignity. It's actually quite a few people, maybe 10-15%, arent cut out for all these high tech training programs. 

I don't know what the answer is but raising the minimum wage is just a band aid. In a few years other prices catch up to wage inflation and you have to gather the political will to do it again. Meanwhile you have an economy based on feeding people and not making things or problem-solving. 

I agree. The more-fundamental problem is the disappearance of the middle class, which I think is due largely to outsourcing of factory jobs to other countries.

Which is why I think globalism—as it exists now—is fundamentally bad.

veritasluxmea

I agree, and that's why I feel torn too. There adults with families in these jobs who really need the money, and I want everyone to be able to work with dignity and be able to provide for their needs- but these jobs just can't do that. Raising the minimum wage will not change that, it will just inflate everything. And then they're back where they started. There has to be a better solution. 

Archaeology cat

Yes, exactly. It should be that such jobs were just part-time gigs for teens and students and such, not people who need to support a family. But increasingly, those jobs are the only ones available for people who are head of household, and that's a problem. 

There is a better way to do this than to raise the minimum wage, and that is for companies to raise wages on their own initiative.

If their wages increase, will they still be considered low wage?

I think that's a relative question, i.e., relative to the average wage in their area.

I think that's a relative question, i.e., relative to the average wage in their area.

well if consider wage from a relative point of view - havea brother than I think makes a low wage - he makes less than me, and four sisters and brother who make more - they have high wages. So I am a low wage? And if I 2 sisters die, will I graduate to mid-wage?

well if consider wage from a relative point of view - havea brother than I think makes a low wage - he makes less than me, and four sisters and brother who make more - they have high wages. So I am a low wage? And if I 2 sisters die, will I graduate to mid-wage?

The term as it's generally applied is meant to refer to incomes on a community-wide level. It's tied to the cost of living in a specific place, which is typically tied to the average income of an entire community, not one family.

Nihil Obstat

If you live in Monaco you probably all have low wages.

• 2 weeks later...
Archaeology cat

the%20dif_zpsv4rasquk.jpg

Except for the fact that both sides show people trying to support their families on wages that aren't designed to do that, and that's a problem.

It's a false comparison. As AC said, both pictures show the same problem where people are not being compensated with appropriate wages. The fact that the EMT makes $15 does not mean the burger flipper must make $7. It means the EMT should make $30.