An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dealing with a Passive-Aggressive Housemate

beatitude

Nihil Obstat
41 minutes ago, beatitude said:

Month to month. I can't move to the new place any earlier than June because my new landlady isn't leaving for her new home until then.

Yeah, probably do not say anything about moving until as late as possible, then. :P

DEFINITELY not, in that case. But even if you were on a multi-month lease, I'd worry that this very unstable person would just kick you out regardless of what the contract says. Most people won't bother to go to the expense of taking such a thing to court, and she'd know that. Plus, she knows you're super nice, so she might count on it.

I'm so sorry you're going through this, beatitude, but I'm really happy you found a good NEW place! :) 

Edited by Gabriela

I'm still torn on this one. If I were in her place I'd want as much notice as possible. But she's unpredictable and I'm not sure I can trust her to be fair, so I will probably take your advice. Thank you.

14 hours ago, Gabriela said:

DEFINITELY not, in that case. But even if you were on a multi-month lease, I'd worry that this very unstable person would just kick you out regardless of what the contract says. Most people won't bother to go to the expense of taking such a thing to court, and she'd know that. Plus, she knows you're super nice, so she might count on it.

I'm so sorry you're going through this, beatitude, but I'm really happy you found a good NEW place! :) 

I'm not that nice. A few months ago a friend came to visit, and midway through, she asked, "Is your flatmate usually moody?" I thought that was an odd question, but now I'm wondering if she saw something I didn't - I'm quite a blunt communicator myself and if other people aren't similarly straightforward I may just not notice that their behaviour is off, whereas other people would detect it earlier. So I look like this remarkably patient person and I get a reputation for niceness that I don't deserve, when really I just haven't noticed that someone is trying to provoke me. :P This occurred to me for the first time as I was kneeling in church, and I prayed, "Oh God, please make me as humble and kind as I look" - and then it hit me just how proud that sounded, and other people in the pew were turning round to see what I was giggling into my hands over.

• 1 month later...

On a happier topic than my flatmate's behaviour, I'm moving into my new house at the beginning of June, and as the month is dedicated to the Sacred Heart, I thought about combining a housewarming party with an enthronement ceremony. I have some friends who are interested in Catholicism, and it would be nice to be able to invite them to something like this. I'm just a bit shy of asking a priest to come out to my home unless somebody is very ill or dying there or it needs exorcising, especially given how busy they are. Everything I've read says it's important to have a priest if you can, but not essential. Has anyone here done the enthronement ceremony, and if so, did you invite a priest or simply recite the prayers yourself? How did you celebrate?