An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Communion in the hand or on the tongue ?

<3 PopeFrancis

<3 PopeFrancis

Perhaps this subject has been exhausted; however, I don't officially know the way in which to receive Holy Communion.  I catechized to receive Our Lord in my hand.  Reading about and watching the saints (Padre Pio) receive Him on the their tongue; and, most of all, hearing that it is or could be sacrilege is confounding.  I have been receiving Him on my tongue while, in the back of my mind, not knowing for sure.  This topic seems trite but it does seem reverent to receive Him on my tongue and sacrilegious  on my hand.  I wish we had some answers.

Also, someone had a picture of Our Lady receiving Holy Communion (on the tongue).  Does anyone know that She did?  

If someone could clarify the first question that would be good;  the second question might not be for me to know.  It just threw me.

Thank you.

USCCB: "The Reception of Holy Communion at Mass"

(USCCB - United States Conference of Catholic Bishops)

Excerpt only: "The General Instruction asks each country's Conference of Bishops to determine the posture to be used for the reception of Communion and the act of reverence to be made by each person as he or she receives Communion. In the United States, the body of Bishops determined that Communion should be received standing, and that a bow is the act of reverence made by those receiving. These norms may require some adjustment on the part of those who have been used to other practices, however the significance of unity in posture and gesture as a symbol of our unity as members of the one body of Christ should be the governing factor in our own actions.

Those who receive Communion may receive either in the hand or on the tongue, and the decision should be that of the individual receiving, not of the person distributing Communion. If Communion is received in the hand, the hands should first of all be clean. If one is right handed the left hand should rest upon the right. The host will then be laid in the palm of the left hand and then taken by the right hand to the mouth. If one is left-handed this is reversed. It is not appropriate to reach out with the fingers and take the host from the person distributing.'

As the bishops have stated, it is perfectly acceptable to receive the Holy Eucharist in the hand provided you have hand sanitizer and know how to use it. 

Edited by Seven77

3 hours ago, DominicanHeart said:

The tongue kneeling at the Altar rail. I'm a Latin Mass girl 

They have this at some OF parishes too. FWIW.

Archaeology cat

The Church allows either. :) While I personally receive on the tongue (in part because I usually am holding a child and do not have both hands free), this isn't the only accepted way to receive and both can be done reverently. :) 

Basilisa Marie

I teach my first communion students both ways and let them choose. What's most important is cultivating a spirit of reverence. For some people receiving on the tongue does that best, for others that's distracting and the hands is best.  

I tend to think it's easiest to receive in the hands while standing and on the tongue when kneeling at a rail. But that's just my personal experience. 

I have my preference and reasons why. But I will not condemn that what the Church does not. Either way, we must receive with reverence. 

I tend to receive on the tongue if it's a priest and in the hand if it's an EMHC (I had a Dropping Incident due to an EMHC that clearly couldn't handle receiving on the tongue). And I always receive on the tongue if I'm sick because germs.

Do whatever feels right for you.

KnightofChrist

In the Latin Rite the universal law of the Church asks the faithful to receive communion on the tongue while kneeling.  An indult (that began as an act of mercy) in the Latin Rite allows the faithful to receive on the hand while standing. We are free to choose from what the Church asks and what she allows.

Also, communion on the hand today is not practiced in the same manner as it was in the time of Christ or early Church. In those days after first washing their hands the faithful would receive the Blessed Sacrament on right hand, not the left, they would then bow their heads and pick up the Host with their tongues.

<3 PopeFrancis
On 8/30/2016 at 9:32 AM, <3 PopeFrancis said:

Also, someone had a picture of Our Lady receiving Holy Communion (on the tongue).  Does anyone know that She did?  

I mentioned She received Our Lord on the tongue though what threw me was that she received at all.  I suppose she cultivated the Early Fathers and was obedient to the rite.  

8 hours ago, EmilyAnn said:

Dropping Incident due to an EMHC that clearly couldn't handle receiving on the tongue)

People act like they are skived to give and receive The Body and Blood of Jesus on the tongue; but St. Paul says [paraphrasing] "... should the cup be poisoned it shall not affect me.  I believe this strongly because He is Our Lord and He will not harm us.