An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Communion in the hand or on the tongue ?

<3 PopeFrancis

CountrySteve21
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:32 AM, <3 PopeFrancis said:

Perhaps this subject has been exhausted; however, I don't officially know the way in which to receive Holy Communion.  I catechized to receive Our Lord in my hand.  Reading about and watching the saints (Padre Pio) receive Him on the their tongue; and, most of all, hearing that it is or could be sacrilege is confounding.  I have been receiving Him on my tongue while, in the back of my mind, not knowing for sure.  This topic seems trite but it does seem reverent to receive Him on my tongue and sacrilegious  on my hand.  I wish we had some answers.

Also, someone had a picture of Our Lady receiving Holy Communion (on the tongue).  Does anyone know that She did?  

If someone could clarify the first question that would be good;  the second question might not be for me to know.  It just threw me.

Thank you.

To answer your second question: I'd imagine the artist of the picture of Our Lady was using the most common form of receiving Holy Communion at the time it was painted.  One thing is certain though; Our Lady would have received with the most reverence possible for a human.

May Christ's peace be with you always.

On September 1, 2016 at 0:22 AM, Nihil Obstat said:

I believe that the Church should remove permission for Communion in the hand and for reception while standing for Latin rite Catholics in general circumstances.

Would that be before or after we lay prostrate?

3 hours ago, Peace said:

Dude, come on. You came down on KoC for his "superior" response and now you're being snarky.

:stubborn:

11 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

Dude, come on. You came down on KoC for his "superior" response and now you're being snarky.

:stubborn:

Heh. I honestly don't know what snarky means. What is your objection to what I wrote? 

The point of my question was, why draw the line at kneeling as opposed to some other form of reverence?

13 minutes ago, Peace said:

Heh. I honestly don't know what snarky means. What is your objection to what I wrote? 

The point of my question was, why draw the line at kneeling as opposed to some other form of reverence?

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 09.42.30 PM.png

3 hours ago, Peace said:

To my knowledge that has never been practiced in the Latin rite.

I attend the EF the majority of the time and thus receive on the tongue while kneeling.  Even though we know we are receiving our Eucharistic Lord, it's our faith that perceives Him and not our senses.  With that being said, I try to imagine how I would respond if I saw Him in His human form and I can only imagine that I would fall prostrate before Him.  If I would show Him that reverence in such a situation, why should I be any less reverent when I encounter Him in the Eucharist?

I do wish that more OF parishes would at least use Communion plates.  I attended an OF Mass once where they were used and I was very impressed.  I won't object to what the Bishops recommend as regards posture during Holy Communion but if we truly know Him to be present in the Eucharist, shouldn't we take all measures to try to ensure that He isn't dropped on the floor to be trampled underfoot?

1 hour ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Well heck if that is a reason not to do something I don't see how you get to kneeling and on the tongue in the first place. It was introduced into the liturgy of the Church at some point, was it not?

1 hour ago, Kateri89 said:

I attend the EF the majority of the time and thus receive on the tongue while kneeling.  Even though we know we are receiving our Eucharistic Lord, it's our faith that perceives Him and not our senses.  With that being said, I try to imagine how I would respond if I saw Him in His human form and I can only imagine that I would fall prostrate before Him.  If I would show Him that reverence in such a situation, why should I be any less reverent when I encounter Him in the Eucharist?

Because that has never been practiced in the Latin rite? I dunno.

Oremus Pro Invicem

I'm always a fan of the term "if it ain't broke don't fix it", which is why I don't bother receiving communion in the hand.  Heck I wouldn't even mind adopting the Byzantine method: 

comunion.jpg

1 hour ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Prostration has been practised, in various methods, by some religious orders at the consecration.

Also, as far as I can recall, receiving in the hand for women would have been done with a cloth over our hands. 

2 hours ago, Peace said:

Well heck if that is a reason not to do something I don't see how you get to kneeling and on the tongue in the first place. It was introduced into the liturgy of the Church at some point, was it not?

Because that has never been practiced in the Latin rite? I dunno.

You see why nobody wants to have this discussion with you, bro?