An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Bottem Line

Aloysius

littleflower+JMJ

ah! but what your missing is Sacred Tradition

nothing and i repeat nothing of the catholic church contradicts scripture

we wrote it ;)

,Aug 30 2003, 12:33 AM] Are you calling God (who wrote the bible) a liar?

i didn't see anyone call God a liar.

The Bible is infallible. But, there are some things that could be interpreted any which way we please. Say 4 example, the Eucharist. We interpret it to be literal. You cannot, with the Bible alone, prove that it is not literal. With the Bible alone, we cannot prove that it is literal (Catholics jump out of their seats "yes we can!" that's not the point im makin here though)

FROM 2 Peter

12 Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation,

for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God.

it is not a matter of personal interpretation. Other versions say private interpretation. Same difference. human will clouds our thoughts 2 much. Thus, there is a Church led by God in the Holy Spirit through the hierarchy of the Church to guide it and keep it from teaching error. The Spirit of Truth leads us into all Truth which is contained in the scriptures but cannot be taken from the scriptures with personal interpretation, only with CHurch interpretation guided by the Spirit of Truth

Pax et Amo Christi!

littleflower+JMJ

thats why they are so many demons they are all saying different stuff

how i can believe that the eucharist is for real when others (of a differ religion) think its not?

we have scripture to follow, thus confusion and as a result millions of different religions claiming "their own"

where is the unity of that?

littleflower+JMJ

now in the Catholic Church, it is unity

catholic means universal

God's Church will not be only for Baptists in Texas or even Methodists in Canada but rather a Church for the world and even then no two baptist think or believe the same

the only church that is world-wide is the Catholic Church and is in unity in belief, tradition and doctorine

thats what catholic means B)

Something I forgot to add (which is probably going to be controversial, even amongst my group, oh well)

The bible is God's word to all of us. No one has any excuse for not taking notice of what He says in the bible.

Gos speaks to us outside of the bible, and we better obey Him if He does, but because God says *I* have to do something, doesn't make that true for everyone. Say God tells me to go and pray for someone during church, doesn't neccesarily mean He wants everyone to go and pray for everyone else if you know what I mean.

So this tradition is all good, and quite probably inspired by the Holy Spirit. But seeing as it's not written in the bible, I don't believe that it's neccesary for all Christians to follow it. (Although if it helps you in your journey with God, amesome!)

now in the Catholic Church, it is unity

catholic means universal

God's Church will not be only for Baptists in Texas or even Methodists in Canada but rather a Church for the world and even then no two baptist think or believe the same

the only church that is world-wide is the Catholic Church  and is in unity in belief, tradition and doctorine

thats what catholic means B)

As I've said before, I believe in a universal, world wide, church.

It's called the family of God, and it is the body of Christ, and it includes *everyone* who has a personal relationship with God, who has had their sin forgiven by what Jesus did on the cross.

Regardless of interpretation of various scriptures (I'll leave it to God to work out who's right and who's wrong, I'll just rely on what the Holy Spirit tells me), if you're in relationship with God (which *all* Christian denomenations believe in, if they don't believe in being saved by what Christ did on the cross I wouldn't call them a Christian demonenation), then you're part of HIS Church, no matter what the label on your local church happens to be.

littleflower+JMJ

but jas dont' you all believe in the same thing? same beliefs? or do you ahve a choice or personal opinion of what to believe and what not to believe? why or how could your beliefs differ from someone from your own religion? and who has the "say-so" to know what not to believe, etc.?

i find it confusing for one, wouldn't it be like you are your own guide?

see the catholic church has not changed from the ways of the apostles and the early fathers of the church, we know of all that God wants us to do and believe because the Holy Spirit is our guide....not ourselves

+JMJ

Yay [jas]! that was pretty cool what u said ther, dont agree with it all, but i mean its cool u said our tradition is quite possibly inspired by the Spirit.

I just think that it's different when God reveals moral truth to humanity. God's moral truth does not change. God's moral truth is to be followed by everyone. when He speaks to u specifically 2 pray for some specific person, that's different.

we be talkin grand scheme of things. "TRUTH" the Spirit is 2 lead us into all truth. All truth is contained in the Word of God, yet it can be easily misinterpreted thus becoming part truth. But Jesus promised that the Spirit would lead us into ALL truth.... He would not have said that unless he intended to give us a way to interpret it correctly, if he did not give us a way to interpret it correctly we would only have the Bible, a means which contains All truth but will lead us into part truth if even one tiny letter of it is misinterpreted. All, COMPLETE. one small error, and it is not All truth.

So we believe that the Catholic Church inspired by the Holy Spirit is that which makes sure we interpret it correctly thus leading us into ALL truth.

Pax et Amo Christi!

littleflower+JMJ

when God came He did not come to start christianity that you speak of, that is just a label that you speak of, He came to establish a Church, not churches

Mt. 16:18

i can only think of one church who fulfills what this scripture says

but jas dont' you all believe in the same thing? same beliefs? or do you ahve a choice or personal opinion of what to believe and what not to believe? why or how could your beliefs differ from someone from your own religion? and who has the "say-so" to know what not to believe, etc.?

We all believe the same core things (like I said before). There are some differences because of differing interpretations of the bible, but we're all in a relationship with God and THAT'S WHAT MATTERS. (In my opinion)

i find it confusing for one, wouldn't it be like you are your own guide?
Well I believe the Holy Spirit is my guide. Also there are other people in the church obviously, I'm not just left alone. What I'm saying is that that the bible has the final say.

see the catholic church has not changed from the ways of the apostles and the early fathers of the church, we know of all that God wants us to do

You keep saying this, but I see all your traditions and think "yeah that's cool, but that's not how I worship". And because it's not in the bible, I'll worship God in my own way according to His word.

(In Christ I am free. Free to worship Him and not be bound by tradition or religion)

littleflower+JMJ

but the apostles had oral tradition and the Holy Spirit to guide them not the bible

so how can the bible be one's own referee when the apostles followed what jesus left them, guided by the Holy Spirit and is now the Catholic church of today?

if the bible is what you need then how did they follow?

do you see what im' getting at?

:blink:

it's 3 AM, and i was plannin on prayin all night, but i got caught up in Phatmass. NOW, however, i am off to pray. I shall reply if i am needed another time tomarrow prolly

g'night all, I'm out.

Pax et Amo Christi!

littleflower+JMJ

now keep in mind that until the protestant reformation, in the 1500 everyone believed the same thing, and all were catholics.....now then came the splinters that formed their own, thus interpretations and scripture got twisted and changed and differed and confusion became the name of the game

some churchs came some churches went but all are just offshoots of the catholic church

no church is older than 500 years old...while the Catholic Church is 2000

remember God said that His Church will be visible and that not even the gates of hell will prevail...

but the Catholic church is still the same

littleflower+JMJ

i ahve to go to bed too

i don't think 've made much sense but i' have to get up early tomorrow

good nite peeps!

God bLess and Mary Keep! :D