An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smoking And Ciggarettes...

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Should smoking ciggarettes be illegal?  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Making tabacco products illegal will never happen.

The government makes far to much money from it.

Over $3 per pack is taxes.

It is similar to

[b]Prov. 31:6 [/b]Give strong drink to one who is perishing, and wine to the sorely depressed;
[b]7 [/b]When they drink, they will forget their misery, and think no more of their burdens.

Some people use them as an escape. Yes they are addictive, but so is alcohol to some people.

just my 2 cents.

God Bless,
ironmonk

[quote name='MorphRC' date='Sep 13 2004, 04:13 AM'] Let me re-re-read that, I couldnt get passed the first line.

I thought they used us, to impose their 'Moral' ideals. :rolleyes:

Theres no lack in reasoning.

1 Cigs Kill
2 Cigs are drugs
3 Cigs murder
4 Cigs make big bucks while ppl die.

Is there something missing? Like. They dont kill? or something along those lines.

==============
[b]BAN THE BONG[/b]
==============

:lol: [/quote]
Cigs do not kill everyone who smokes them.

I knew a lady who smoked from age 15 to 95... she died of old age.

They are not murder.

They will never be illegal, and should not be. They are a simple pleasure to some, to some they are a monkey on their back.... just as with so many things in life.

Alcohol, drugs, sex, food, etc....

If the logic you posted is to be used, it must be used with all things that can be addictive and cause death....

Food kills people and people get addicted to food, gain hundreds of pounds and get their arteries clogged... we should make food illegal because people surely can't control themselves with it and it's for their own good.

God Bless,
ironmonk

Christ's Knight

Whats up with all the "Anti-smoking"? I would say it (cig. smoking) is by no means good for you but it can be pleasurable. I would also venture to say that if you have never smoked you really can not comment on this. The addiction is the bad thing. But being human, we are all culpable of an addiction of some sort... alcohol being also very addictive (or should I say the intoxication being addictive). Which one could argue is worse as it lowers your inhibitions and may very well lead to SIN. Yes and even sex is addictive to that type of personallity. That is not good (pre-marital & extra-marital and also marriages based soley on sexual activity). So are we to "outlaw" everything we fear??? The tobacco companies should "clean" up the cigarettes and make them less dangerous, because nic-o-teen is not harmful but it is what smokers chase with each passing cigarette. Unfortunately, the habit gets the better of them and they begin to light up more often. I know a few people that burn 1 or 2 a day to relax in the evening or only socially. By the way, anyone that made a reference to secondhand smoke being a killer is in grave error. Just because you can smell smoke does not mean you are taking in the toxins in the cigarette itself. (Blowing smoke at someone is a different story, but how often does that happen?)

My point number 2!
The biast, rampant, liberal media (you know the on that supports abortion, makes no effort to give any facts on the many Christians be murdered in the Middle East, keeps the Jewish holecost close at mind but NEVER reminds us of how the Christians were persecuted for their beliefs & believe me I could go on & on & on but anyway) yeah they are totally against cigarettes & smoking. That alone almost makes me want to go to start burning the tobacco.

[quote]I would also venture to say that if you have never smoked you really can not comment on this.[/quote]

The same could be said about pot, LSD, PCP, cocaine, heroine.......

Christ's Knight

But you are also missing my point.... I cant say nothing -good- comes from LSD and the like, because I have not tried it! I dont recomend it or smoking cigarettes but dont say it is useless as I dont know. Apparently some people find it has positives....

[quote name='Christ's Knight' date='Sep 22 2004, 05:27 AM'] But you are also missing my point.... I cant say nothing -good- comes from LSD and the like, because I have not tried it! I dont recomend it or smoking cigarettes but dont say it is useless as I dont know. Apparently some people find it has positives.... [/quote]
Bro,

You are pulling at straws here for the logic that you are trying to use. We can say things about these even if we haven't tried them. We can learn from observing and drawing logical conclusions.

Nothing good can come from LSD - PCP - etc... People that find that those have positives, are not smart people, and are foolish for even saying such things.

but, they are already illegal...

Cigs are bad... they help some people relax with minimal side effects, and has been used for centuries.

This world is not for our pleasure... this world is to sanctify us. We should be very cautious in seeking any creature comforts and pleasures.

As for the drugs, take a few organic chemistry classes... cover what these drugs do... you will change your tune.

This is about cigs. and we can say things. I don't smoke. I tried a cig when I was 13, just to see what it was like. One can never touch a cig and know from the basic knowledge of tabacco that it is bad and they can make statements about them.

Cigs are bad... some people suffer from them... Should they be illegal... simply put... no, because the side effects do not effect everyone and they take a long time to happen, taxes, people have been doing it for centuries, people don't turn to a life of crime to satisfy their habit.

God Bless,
ironmonk

common sense here people. You won't live one extra day no matter what you do. Does that mean you should go crazy and develop a bunch of bad habits? No...and cigs unfortunately are the easiest way to abuse tobacco.
But you can't make a blanket tobacco ban. Pipe tobacco is awesome and too much work to be anything but a hobby.
Alcohol has had as many sanctions placed against it as I think is reasonably possible. age limits, legal limit for driving, etc. People will get in trouble for violating these things so that's that.

I don't believe it tobbaco be illegal (even though my grandpa died cuz of it). Some people abuse cigs but some people also abuse alchohol. It's worse to drink a whole lotta wine than to smoke a lot.

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Aug 28 2004, 11:32 PM'] That's quite a captain obvious norseman. Of course God didn't create certain plants and things like that to be abused. Neither did God create tobacco for the sole purpose of smoking. My point was in response to MorphRC empty call that cigerettes are bad cause it's a drug. My point was, a drugs not bad just because drugs are drugs and drugs are bad mmmkay. Not all drugs are bad. [/quote]
Phazzan you are my new favorite apologist.

i can't decide if they should be or not...

a couple friends of mine smoke. i've had a real good friend die of lung cancer. unfortunately, the smell in the air doesn't bother me anymore--which is a BAD sign.

• 5 years later...

[quote name='cooltuba' date='11 September 2004 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1094915185' post='349616']
Intrinsically evil?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! That is a phrase best left for the truly evil things (eg. abortion), please don't apply it to benign things. Cigarettes are perfectly moral for the people who can only smoke occasionally. Tell me the number of people who have smoked too many cigarettes, gotten on the road, and killed themselves and or others because they had smoked too much. Yes, smoking is bad if done habitually, but drinking alcohol has much more potential for abuse, and harm from abuse than cigarettes. If anything should be illegal, it should be alcohol. We know from prohibition that this isn't possible; it would be the same way if you tried to make cigarettes illegal. I won't go into my opinions about the current system of drug controll or the so-called "war on drugs".

As far as the government advancing moral things and making immoral thing illegal, that's not to the greater glory of God. God gave us free will so that we may choose Him over sin. If a government makes all the immoral things illegal, so that we could only do moral things, how would that glorify God? We must be given the choice to do the wrong thing, and choose to do the right thing to really show our love for God. Don't you think that God would have made it impossible for us to do immoral things if he wanted us to have only moral choices? It is in these choices, these choices of good over evil that sanctify us, and you would have them taken away.

--Tim
[/quote]
cooltuba - thank you.
raphael - you need to smoke a doobie and relax a little in my opinion. :blink: