An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holding of Hands

return2truth

Noel's angel

I'm glad i live in Northern ireland and not America-some of your priests are crazy....

PennyLane

The hand holding bothers me... but we also shouldn't draw attention to ourselves during the mass...

I always kneel, if nothing else, it's out of respect.

I noticed when ppl started standing, more talking was going on and more distracting behaviors... when people were kneeling they were at least PRETENDING to pray ;)

1337 k4th0l1x0r

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='May 4 2005, 12:02 PM'] rude looks always accompany my not holding hands. [/quote]
This is why holding hands is not a good idea. There is nothing inherently wrong with holding hands at this point of mass. The whole personal innovation argument is weak in that you would have to stop all people from crossing themselves after the Penitential Rite (that's not in the rubrics) and other such small innovations. The problem is that holding hands is not a personal innovation. It's an extra-personal innovation. The person sitting next to me will not get offended whether or not I make the sign of the cross at a certain time. It is true that the Our Father is a time of Unity (as is the entire mass). However, disunity can be introduced into the mass by someone simply not doing something that one is not instructed to do. The hand-thrusters will give you rude looks if you don't participate in their personal innovation. I just have to say that if you do choose to hold hands, do not get offended when the person next to you doesn't want to hold hands.

Besides, the whole raise your hands and squeeze innovation is taking it too far. What's next, swing your partner dosey-doh?

thessalonian

I really don't think that the holding hands thing is worth a fight. As I said before there are much more serious things to worry about in the Church today. The kneeling is a little more serious and would not be adverse to mentioning it to him. Likely though he knows. Some parishes took out kneelers back in the 70's and 80's. I know in our diocese the new Bishop has given a dispensation from kneeling for those parishes that did this before he became bishop. I still kneel if I go to one of those parishes.

Noel's angel

just tell people you have a skin condition-they won't want to hold hands with you then

i was told that american bishops had the option to instruct the faithful to remain standing until everyone had received... and even tho i HATE IT HATE IT, i was told i should do it as a humble submission to my "renegade" cardinal (LA archdiocese anyone), since it is within his right to change it, although the norm is kneeling. i learned that on phatmass actually. also, we remain standing after the sign of peace, during the agnus dei, and i was told to stand for the same reason, even tho i would rather show reverence by kneeling, out of submission to my bishop, i should follow his instructions

AfroNova No Limit Soldier

I am from the south & it is common in our archdiocese to hold hands.
However, I am teaching our youth NOT to hold hands.
A couple of our core team stood up in front of 300+ youth of our parish & told them we shouldn't hold hands. Boy, did they get riled up. I had to put the smack down on them.
The actual issue isn't holding hands. It's about knowing our faith, obedience, trust, and understanding that the Liturgy is more than a 1 hour archaic demonstrative worship session. It's a mind-blowing cosmic experience.

Hold your ground! When we pray the Our Father, I fold my hands in front of me and look down the whole time to prevent anyone from holding my hand.

We are few but mighty!

From Catholic.com:

[quote]POSTURE AFTER COMMUNION

The new GIRM provides that the faithful should “sit while the readings before the Gospel and the responsorial psalm are proclaimed and for the homily and while the Preparation of the Gifts at the Offertory is taking place; and, as circumstances allow, they may sit or kneel while the period of sacred silence after Communion is observed” (43).

Regarding sitting or kneeling during the silence after Communion, some interpreted this as meaning that the faithful should stand until the last communicant had received Communion, which was contrary to the traditional practice of the faithful assuming their preferred postures immediately upon returning to the pews.

A controversy ensued, in which Francis Cardinal George, chairman of the Bishops’ Committee on Liturgy, queried the CDWDS: “In many places, the faithful are accustomed to kneeling or sitting in personal prayer upon returning to their places after having individually received Holy Communion during Mass. Is it the intention of the [new Roman Missal] to forbid this practice?”

The response was as follows: “Negative, et ad mentem [No, and for this reason]. The mens [reason] is that the prescription of [GIRM] no. 43 is intended, on the one hand, to ensure within broad limits a certain uniformity of posture within the congregation for the various parts of the celebration of Holy Mass, and on the other, to not regulate posture rigidly in such a way that those who wish to kneel or sit would no longer be free” (responsum of Francis Cardinal Arinze, June 5, 2003 [Prot. 855/03/L], as published in the July 2003 BCL newsletter).[/quote]

AfroNova No Limit Soldier

[quote name='return2truth' date='May 4 2005, 11:46 AM'] According to the GIRM, you are supposed to kneel or sit. Are you saying an official change in the GIRM has been made that I am not aware of? If so, please cite your source so that I may confirm this new modification. At my church, music is played constantly during Communion and the Mass resumes immediately upon the return of the last few recipients to their pews. The only time available for contemplation is while waiting for everyone else to finish. [/quote]
I'm all for kneeling before & after Communion, but the youth minister at our parish told us otherwise. Here's what the GIRM says:

43. The faithful should stand from the beginning of the Entrance chant, or while the priest approaches the altar, until the end of the Collect; for the Alleluia chant before the Gospel; while the Gospel itself is proclaimed; during the Profession of Faith and the Prayer of the Faithful; from the invitation, Orate, fraters (Pray, brethren), before the prayer over the offerings until the end of Mass, except at the places indicated below.

They should, however, sit while the readings before the Gospel and the responsorial Psalm are proclaimed and for the homily and while the Preparation of the Gifts at the Offertory is taking place; and, as circumstances allow, they may sit or kneel while the period of sacred silence after Communion is observed.

In the dioceses of the United States of America, they should kneel beginning after the singing or recitation of the Sanctus until after the Amen of the Eucharistic Prayer, except when prevented on occasion by reasons of health, lack of space, the large number of people present, or some other good reason. Those who do not kneel ought to make a profound bow when the priest genuflects after the consecration. The faithful kneel after the Agnus Dei unless the Diocesan Bishop determines otherwise.53

With a view to a uniformity in gestures and postures during one and the same celebration, the faithful should follow the directions which the deacon, lay minister, or priest gives according to whatever is indicated in the Missal.

Taken from [url="http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/current/chapter2.shtml#sect3c"]http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/current/chapter2.shtml#sect3c[/url]

Let me know if you can find anything else or if I read this wrong, but it looks like we are supposed to stand before/after Communion. I would appreciate help clarifying this. Thanks! JMJ

Craftygrl06

holding hands is NOT required. it is an innovation. I don't do it. Nobody should

Also, kneel if you want to.

[quote name='thessalonian' date='May 4 2005, 12:35 PM'] I really don't think that the holding hands thing is worth a fight. As I said before there are much more serious things to worry about in the Church today. The kneeling is a little more serious and would not be adverse to mentioning it to him. Likely though he knows. Some parishes took out kneelers back in the 70's and 80's. I know in our diocese the new Bishop has given a dispensation from kneeling for those parishes that did this before he became bishop. I still kneel if I go to one of those parishes. [/quote]
What do you mean not worth the fight!! Any abuse is worth the fight no matter how big or small. You can't expect someone to follow the big rules if they can't even do the little things right. To just give in is absurd. I say start with the little abuses first and work your way on up. Sooner or later the bishops will get the message and in the process give the younger generation a much more sound footing in the faith.