An Old School Catholic Message Board

ever had this happen?

Old_Joe

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jun 24 2005, 11:47 AM']i go to a jesuit church with the associate pastor who gives the worlds best homilies!
[right][snapback]621689[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Envy! (But, you know, it's a good envy... right? :) )

My pastor just restates each reading.

And he pauses...

for five seconds...

between every phrase.

I don't blame people for falling asleep. I don't have that problem, but his cadence is like hypnotism or something.

At least now I get to come home and listen to Fr. Pontifex's Phat 5! :banana:

Noel's angel

My dad started snoring once in Mass, then I also saw a couple kissing.....
We've had a few incidents of music stands falling on top of people or people having hick-ups, which is obviously SO hilarious that everyone just HAS to laugh

Oh, well for actual funny things, my pastor has a tendency to set things on fire.

Once he caught his vestments on fire at BOTH of his Easter Vigil masses (he has two parishes.) And the automatic alarm called the fire department....

I was on a TEC (Teens Encounter Christ) retreat once and during the Scripture Enthronement, the incense set off the smoke alarms in ths school. We named the retreat PyroTEC.

Noel's angel

lol. The fire alarm has gone off a few times on us too. We have also had the bells go off in the middle of Mass

Also, last night (lot of things happened then) I was leading the rosary before Mass, and the chainlinks on my Rosary came apart. Right during the last decade too. It was kinda funny. I kept praying while trying to fix it, and as soon as I came to the bead after where the break occured I was able to fix it.

[quote name='Old_Joe' date='Jun 24 2005, 12:27 PM']I was on a TEC (Teens Encounter Christ)  retreat once and during the Scripture Enthronement, the incense set off the smoke alarms in ths school.  We named the retreat PyroTEC.
[right][snapback]621764[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
were you at the koinina when we had the fire alarms go off?
"attention, attention a fire has been reported in the building."

[quote name='Old_Joe' date='Jun 24 2005, 12:33 PM']Also, last night (lot of things happened then) I was leading the rosary before Mass, and the chainlinks on my Rosary came apart.  Right during the last decade too.  It was kinda funny.  I kept praying while trying to fix it, and as soon as I came to the bead after where the break occured I was able to fix it.
[right][snapback]621780[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
When mine broke (i don't think i was leading it, thank goodness) it was like an explosion of just one decade, and the beads went everywhere, but just the beads of one decade (that rosary was not on links yet, it was a single wire)

IcePrincessKRS

Laughing and crying can be kind of like (sorry can't think of a better term) charismatic gifts. I don't think its necessarily from Satan. Its one thing when someone near you makes you giggle, or something the priest says is funny, but when you laugh for NO reason at all, thats what I'm talking about. I went to Mass with some friends once when I was in TX and there is a man in their parish who does laughs every Sunday. You can tell he tries to stifle it a little, but he can't help it.

[quote name='iggy' date='Jun 24 2005, 12:41 PM']were you at the koinina when we had the fire alarms go off?
"attention, attention a fire has been reported in the building."
[right][snapback]621790[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

yeah, I was the one who asked Matt to do his impression of his hair on fire again. Actually, it's really funny you should mention NCK #7. I was talking to Kate Hall recently, and we were trying to figure out how even though we went on that same retreat, we never actually met until recently.

photosynthesis

Usually when I'm at Mass in a regular church I'm ok...

but when I'm at school, there's Mass on campus, and I really get the giggles there!

One I was sitting next to my friend Rob, and during the Consecration his tummy started rumbling loudly...it was like, BLROROOROROOOOOTTTRRRPPPPP

Then, one of our priests always has these Freudian slips. During the prayer of the faithful last fall, he said "We pray for the people of Iraq after their recent erection...um, i mean, ELECTION that it might lead to peace." A lot of freshman guys were snickering, and I was doing my best not to laugh. It was especially funny because his face turned really red too !

We have a lot of " liturgical bloopers." Since I play guitar and lead in music, sometimes I'll start strumming the Mass settings at really inappropriate times, or say the responses when Father isn't done with the consecration. It's mortifying. But it's college, so that kind of thing happens when your leaders (i.e. me) don't know what they're doing.