An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sister Servants of the Eternal Word

Sixtina87

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Feb 9 2006, 11:21 AM']i hate borrowing other ppls shoes.....But i think i'll be fine in my boots or what ever i bring.  It might be too cold to even go outside...i hope so!!!!
[right][snapback]881801[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It definitely won't be too cold in the middle of March. I went down last year at that time, and it was gorgeous. Illinois winters are nothing like Alabama winters. It can get cold, but their January is like Illinois' October or November. Their March is like our late April or early May.

They do all kinds of manual labor. They have done a lot of the interior work on their convent addition that's in progress. You have to be ready to get your hands (and feet dirty!)

Edited by jgirl

[quote name='jgirl' date='Feb 9 2006, 02:26 PM']It definitely won't be too cold in the middle of March. I went down last year at that time, and it was gorgeous. Illinois winters are nothing like Alabama winters. It can get cold, but their January is like Illinois' October or November. Their March is like our late April or early May.

They do all kinds of manual labor. They have done a lot of the interior work on their convent addition that's in progress. You have to be ready to get your hands (and feet dirty!)
[right][snapback]881947[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i already feel dirrty and i work in retail....those hangers that the cloths are on smell really bad....but its hours of dealing with the hangers so i kinda know what its kile to get dirrty...my hands are sometimes black after holding tons of cloths in each hand that are on hangers. So manual labor me if nothing!!!

[quote name='jgirl' date='Feb 9 2006, 02:27 PM']You can also go to Payless, Target, or Walmart and get a cheap pair of sneaks.
[right][snapback]881949[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

thanks for the idea. i'll keep it in mind when i go there to get film for my camera, flat shoes without designs, etc.

she_who_is_not

First of all:
Sixtina, I am so happy for you. I hope this trip brings you closer to God and helps in your discernment. I'm praying for you. :bigpray:
Secondly:
Could some one explain how Sister Servants were founded. Someone in my parish keeps on saying they left the Nashville Dominicans because the Nashville Dominicans wanted to get rid of the habit and the Sister Servants are an "ultra conservative" off shoot. Now, I know that this is not true, but I didn't know what to say b/c I don't know much about them. This has come up twice now in conversation so for the next encounter maybe I can offer some illumination.
Peace and Blessings,
Amanda

[quote name='she_who_is_not' date='Feb 10 2006, 04:28 PM']First of all:
Sixtina, I am so happy for you. I hope this trip brings you closer to God and helps in your discernment. I'm praying for you.  :bigpray:
Secondly:
Could some one explain how Sister Servants were founded. Someone in my parish keeps on saying they left the Nashville Dominicans because the Nashville Dominicans wanted to get rid of the habit and the Sister Servants are an "ultra conservative" off shoot. Now, I know that this is not true, but I didn't know what to say b/c I don't know much about them. This has come up twice now in conversation so for the next encounter maybe I can offer some illumination.
Peace and Blessings,
Amanda
[right][snapback]883280[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hey amanda,
thanks. all i know is that the sisters are a off branch of the Nashville Dominicans...i'm not sure if that is true either...but if you want just PM me and i can give you their email address and you can ask them yourself. Or i could ask her if it is tru or not. Either way just PM me.

peace!!!

When Mother Mary Gabriel was still a Nashville Dominican, she was sent by her superior to work with Mother Angelica. Through that contact, I assume she felt God calling her to found the Sister Servants, who have a Dominican/Franciscan charism. They are not Dominican, however, so I think calling them an "off-branch" of Nashville would be misleading. The Nashville Dominicans themselves are a solid, orthodox order, reaping tens of vocations--I seriously doubt they were considering ditching the habit, although I have no inside information.

"She felt God calling her" is a good, true answer that avoids all gossipy, political nitpicking that we can fall into so easily.

I second Nicole on saying contact the Sisters if you are that curious.

It's funny because I never get the Nashville connection. I always get people asking me if I'm entering Mother Angelica's order.

she_who_is_not

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Feb 10 2006, 06:51 PM']hey amanda,
thanks. all i know is that the sisters are a off branch of the Nashville Dominicans...i'm not sure if that is true either...but if you want just PM me and i can give you their email address and you can ask them yourself. Or i could ask her if it is tru or not. Either way just PM me.

peace!!!
[right][snapback]883442[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sixtina, I pmed you. Good advice!! I don't know why I didn't ever think of just contacting them to clear it up. :idontknow: Silly Amanda! I'm really shy so I have trouble speaking up to people even when I know they are misinformed. Please pray that I will have more courage.
Peace, Amanda

PS. Have a great time in Alabama!

I got the PM amanda. i PMed you back.....i use to be shy...but not anymore!!!! High school changed that!!! But you may get over the shy thing...i hope!!! but anyways....I will have fun in Alabama!!!!

This is me hijacking Nicole's thread:

I have less than 5 days left until I leave! I'm heading down Thursday afternoon/evening (and based on my other trips, it could be early Friday!). Please pray I don't get delayed because I have a night flight, and those get really late when they are delayed. I don't mind it, but I feel bad for the poor Sisters who wake up at 5:30 and have to pick me up between midnight and 2 am (instead of 3 pm or 7 pm).

Edited by jgirl

[quote name='jgirl' date='Feb 11 2006, 09:03 PM']This is me hijacking Nicole's thread:

I have less than 5 days left until I leave! I'm heading down Thursday afternoon/evening (and based on my other trips, it could be early Friday!). Please pray I don't get delayed because I have a night flight, and those get really late when they are delayed. I don't mind it, but I feel bad for the poor Sisters who wake up at 5:30 and have to pick me up between midnight and 2 am (instead of 3 pm or 7 pm).
[right][snapback]884282[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you hijacking my thread!!! HA!!!! WAIT......... :hijack: LOL!!! Thats okay!!! Only 5 days left yeah!!! i wish it was that much time for me...i wouldnt know what to do. you have to take pics for me and send them to me when you get back, that way i know what to expect. Dont the sisters wake up at 5:30 anyways??? oh never mind i get it know.....ha sry just a little slow!!!! too tired!!!! :yawn: 9oh dang, i yawned after saying that!!!) LOL!!!
well, sister called my mom up and made sure she knows that i will be in good hands which i'm sure i will be. they were still uneasy about me going...but i'm sure they are fine know!!!!!