An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saint of the Day

uruviel

My St. Michael medal was replaced with a Miraculous Medal. If I had to settle for only one medal it would be this one.

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/OLAM%20Entrance/16062.jpg[/img]

It's called a 4-way medal. It has the Sacred Heart, the Miraculous Medal, St. Joseph, and St. Christopher.

I have one of these too.... I dunno what I'm going to pick...hard choice

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Apr 12 2006, 10:13 AM']My St. Michael medal was replaced with a Miraculous Medal.  If I had to settle for only one medal it would be this one.

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/OLAM%20Entrance/16062.jpg[/img]

It's called a 4-way medal.  It has the Sacred Heart, the Miraculous Medal, St. Joseph, and St. Christopher.
[right][snapback]944702[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Today's Saints
April 12
St. Julius
St. Allerius
St. Vissia
St. Victor
St. Zeno
St. Wigbert
St. Tetricus
St. Sabas
St. Damian

St. Zeno
Feastday: April 12

Zeno (d. 371) + Bishop of Verona, Italy, theological writer. A native of Africa, he was named bishop in 362 and proved an ardent opponent of Arianism. He also promoted discipline among the clergy and in liturgical life, built a cathedral, and founded a convent. Zeno wrote extensively on the virgin birth of Christ and other theological matters. He was the subject of numerous legends. Feast day: April 12.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='SisterAli' date='Apr 12 2006, 09:52 AM']I'm sure you like St. Michael too...lol  :P:  I too...can only pick ONE religious medal to take with me to the convent...and I have like 20 and have NO IDEA which one to take.... :idontknow:
[right][snapback]944687[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think the Dominicans said you could have as many as you want, but you'd have to pin them on under the habit... lol

dad I just read the Teresa of the Ande's part you wrote, I hadn't read it yet. That's wonderful, I really like that. I should start reading her book tonight, bah I have so many others on the list! lol

I read about her, Lori, and I just have to sigh. She's amazing. In fact, I have a book of hers, I might start tonight! :love:

Guest phatdaddy

April 13

St. Martin I
(d. 655)

"When Martin I became pope in 649, Constantinople was the capital of the Byzantine empire and the patriarch of Constantinople was the most influential Church leader in the eastern Christian world. The struggles that existed within the Church at that time were magnified by the close cooperation of emperor and patriarch. "

"A teaching, strongly supported in the East, held that Christ had no human will. Twice emperors had officially favored this position, Heraclius by publishing a formula of faith and Constans II by silencing the issue of one or two wills in Christ. "

"Shortly after assuming the office of the papacy (which he did without first being confirmed by the emperor), Martin held a council at the Lateran in which the imperial documents were censured, and in which the patriarch of Constantinople and two of his predecessors were condemned. Constans II, in response, tried first to turn bishops and people against the pope."

"Failing in this and in an attempt to kill the pope, the emperor sent troops to Rome to seize Martin and to bring him back to Constantinople. Martin, already in poor health, offered no resistance, returned with the exarch Calliopas and was then submitted to various imprisonments, tortures and hardships. Although condemned to death and with some of the torture imposed already carried out, Martin was saved from execution by the pleas of a repentant Paul, patriarch of Constantinople, who himself was gravely ill."

"Martin died shortly thereafter, tortures and cruel treatment having taken their toll. He is the last of the early popes to be venerated as a martyr. "

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Today's Saints (at the last moment, lol)
St. Martin
St. Hermenegild
Bl. Margaret of Castello (Historical)

And for tomorrow:

St. Justin (Traditionally)
Sts. Tiburtius, Valerian & Maximus (Traditionally)
St. Lywina (Historical)
St. Lambert (Historical)
St. Benezet

April 15, 2006

Blessed Caesar de Bus

(1544-1607)

Like so many of us, Caesar de Bus struggled with the decision about what to do with his life. After completing his Jesuit education he had difficulty settling between a military and a literary career. He wrote some plays but ultimately settled for life in the army and at court.

For a time life was going rather smoothly for the engaging, well-to-do young Frenchman. He was confident he had made the right choice. That was until he saw firsthand the realities of battle, including the St. Bartholomew's Day massacres of French Protestants in 1572.

He fell seriously ill and found himself reviewing his priorities, including his spiritual life. By the time he had recovered Caesar had resolved to become a priest. Following his ordination in 1582, he undertook special pastoral work: teaching the catechism to ordinary people living in neglected, rural, out-of-the-way places. His efforts were badly needed and well received.

Working with his cousin, Caesar developed a program of family catechesis. The goal—to ward off heresy among the people—met the approval of local bishops. Out of these efforts grew a new religious congregation: the Fathers of Christian Doctrine.

One of Caesar's works, Instructions for the Family on the Four Parts of the Roman Catechism, was published 60 years after his death.

He was beatified in 1975.

( ^^ up there wasn't a Saint, so is not mentioned in this list. )

Today's Saint
April 15
St. Paternus
Bl. Damien de Veuster
St. Hunna
St. Ruadan
St. Maro
St. Maximus & Olympiades
St. Mundus

St. Paternus
Feastday: April 15

St. Paternus.The first 5th century saint. He followed his father's path by becoming a hermit in Wales. He founded the monastery at the great church of Paternus, and became a bishop of that region. He was known for his preaching, charity and mortifications. Scholars believe his story is an amalgam. His feast day is April 15.

Guest phatdaddy

April 18th

Blessed James Oldo

(1364 - 1404)

James of Oldo was born in 1364, into a well-to-do family near Milan. He married a woman who, like him, appreciated the comforts that came with wealth. But an outbreak of plague drove James, his wife and their three children out of their home and into the countryside. Despite those precautions, two of his daughters died from the plague, James determined to use whatever time he had left to build up treasures in heaven and to build God’s realm on earth.

He and his wife became Secular Franciscans. James gave up his old lifestyle and did penance for his sins. He cared for a sick priest, who taught him Latin. Upon the death of his wife, James himself became a priest. His house was transformed into a chapel where small groups of people, many of them fellow Secular Franciscans, came for prayer and support. James focused on caring for the sick and for prisoners of war. He died in 1404 after contracting a disease from one of his patients.

James Oldo was beatified in 1933.

Guest phatdaddy

Blessed Luchesio and Buonadonna

(d. 1260)

Luchesio and his wife Buonadonna wanted to follow St. Francis as a married couple. Thus they set in motion the Secular Franciscan Order.
Luchesio and Buonadonna lived in Poggibonzi where he was a greedy merchant. Meeting Francis—probably in 1213—changed his life. He began to perform many works of charity.
At first Buonadonna was not as enthusiastic about giving so much away as Luchesio was. One day after complaining that he was giving everything to strangers, Buonadonna answered the door only to find someone else needing help. Luchesio asked her to give the poor man some bread. She frowned but went to the pantry anyway. There she discovered more bread than had been there the last time she looked. She soon became as zealous for a poor and simple life as Luchesio was. They sold the business, farmed enough land to provide for their needs and distributed the rest to the poor.

In the 13th century some couples, by mutual consent and with the Church’s permission, separated so that the husband could join a monastery (or a group such as Francis began) and his wife could go to a cloister. Conrad of Piacenza and his wife did just that. This choice existed for childless couples or for those whose children had already grown up. Luchesio and Buonadonna wanted another alternative, a way of sharing in religious life, but outside the cloister.

To meet this desire, Francis set up the Secular Franciscan Order. Francis wrote a simple Rule for the Third Order (Secular Franciscans) at first; Pope Honorius III approved a more formally worded Rule in 1221.
The charity of Luchesio drew the poor to him, and, like many other saints, he and Buonadonna seemed never to lack the resources to help these people.

One day Luchesio was carrying a crippled man he had found on the road. A frivolous young man came up and asked, "What poor devil is that you are carrying there on your back?" "I am carrying my Lord Jesus Christ," responded Luchesio. The young man immediately begged Luchesio’s pardon.

Luchesio and Buonadonna both died on April 28, 1260. He was beatified in 1273. Local tradition referred to Buonadonna as "blessed" though the title was not given officially.