An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saint of the Day

uruviel

Hello all, I thought I would make a topic for all of us to come and either post the Saint of the day or read about them. I'm sorry if there is already a topic started on this subject, I didn't see one. Anyways, there are some websites out there that give Saints of the day I believe, I will try and post some here. :) Thank you and God Bless!
In Christ,
+ Lori +

You could try this website:

[url="http://www.americancatholic.org/Features/SaintofDay/"]Saint of the Day[/url]

Or this one:
[url="http://www.catholic.org/saints/sofd.php"]Saint of the Day [/url]

Does it have to be the saint of the date? For instance, if I were to post a saint today, would it have to be St Stanislaus?
Or could I just post one at random?

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Apr 11 2006, 09:51 AM']Does it have to be the saint of the date?  For instance, if I were to post a saint today, would it have to be St Stanislaus?
Or could I just post one at random?
[right][snapback]943393[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh- well this was a topic for people to come and read what Saint is for today, (or post what Saint) but if you like you could just post a Saint you like, it' doesnt really matter. Just please specify if it's for the day or random. Thanks! :)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Well, today's Saints are St. Stanislaus of Cracow, St. Leo the Great (Traditionally), and St. Gemma Galgani (Historical)

I want to read more about St. Gemma myself... sounds like a totally amazing story...

OK, here is St Gemma! I love her story.

Gemma Galgani was born on March 12, 1878, in a small Italian town near Lucca. At a very young age, Gemma developed a love for prayer. She made her First Communion on June 17, 1887. As a pupil at the school run by the Sisters of St. Zita, Gemma was loved by her teachers and her fellow pupils. Although quiet and reserved, she always had a smile for everyone. Although a good student, she had to quit school due to chronic ill health before completing the course of study.

Throughout her life, Gemma was to be favored with many mystical experiences and special graces. These were often misunderstood by others, causing ridicule. Gemma suffered these heartaches in reparation, remembering that Our Lord Himself had been misunderstood and ridiculed.

Gemma had an immense love for the poor, and helped them in any way she could. After her father's death, the nineteen year old Gemma became the mother of her seven brothers and sisters. When some were old enough to share this responsibility, she lived briefly with a married aunt. At this time, two young men proposed marriage to her. Gemma however, wanted silence and retirement, and more that ever, she desired to pray and speak only to God.

Gemma returned home and almost immediately became very ill with meningitis. Throughout this illness, her one regret was the trouble she caused her relatives who took care of her. Feeling herself tempted by the devil, Gemma prayed for help to the Venerable Passionist, Gabriel Possenti. (Gabriel was later canonized) Through his intercession, Gemma was miraculously cured.

Gemma wished to become a nun, but her poor health prevented her from being accepted. She offered this disappointment to God as a sacrifice.

Gemma predicted that the Passionists would establish a monastery at Lucca; this came to pass two years after her death. Today, Gemma's mortal remains are still treasured at the Passionist monastery in Lucca.

On June 8, 1899, Gemma had an interior warning that some unusual grace was to be granted to her. She had pain in her hands, feet and heart and blood was coming from the places where she had pain. These were the marks of the stigmata. Each Thursday evening, Gemma would fall into rapture and the marks would appear. The stigmata remained until Friday afternoon or Saturday morning when the bleeding would stop, the wounds would close, and only white marks would remain in place of the deep gashes. Gemma's stigmata would continue to appear until the last three years of her life, when her confessor forbade her to accept them. Through her prayers, this phenomenon ceased, but the whitish marks remained on her skin until her death.

Through the help of her confessor, Gemma went to live with a family named Giannini, where she was allowed more freedom than at home for her spiritual life. She had many ecstacies and her words spoken during these raptures, were recorded by her confessor and a relative of her adoptive family. At the end of her ecstacies, she returned to normal and went quietly and serenely about the family life. Gemma often saw her guardian angel, with whom she was on familiar terms. She often sent her guardian angel on errands, usually to deliver a letter or oral message to her confessor in Rome.

During the apostolic investigations into her life, all witnesses testified that there was no artfulness in Gemma's manner. Most of her severe penances and sacrifices were hidden from most who knew her.

In January of 1903, Gemma was diagnosed as having tuberculosis. She died quietly in the company of the parish priest, on April 11 at age twenty-five. He said, "She died with a smile which remained upon her lips, so that I could not convince myself that she was really dead." She was beatified in 1933 and canonized on May 2, 1940, only thirty-seven years after her death.

Guest phatdaddy

St Teresa of the Andes
1900-1924

"One needn’t live a long life to leave a deep imprint. Teresa of Los Andes is proof of that."

"As a young girl growing up in Santiago, Chile, in the early 1900s, she read an autobiography of a French-born saint—Therese, popularly known as the Little Flower. The experience deepened her desire to serve God and clarified the path she would follow. At age 19 she became a Carmelite nun, taking the name of Teresa.
The convent offered the simple lifestyle Teresa desired and the joy of living in a community of women completely devoted to God. She focused her days on prayer and sacrifice. “I am God’s, ” she wrote in her diary. “He created me and is my beginning and my end. ”

"Toward the end of her short life, Teresa began an apostolate of letter-writing, sharing her thoughts on the spiritual life with many people. At age 20 she contracted typhus and quickly took her final vows. She died a short time later, during Holy Week."

"Teresa remains popular with the estimated 100,000 pilgrims who visit her shrine in Los Andes each year. She is Chile’s first saint."

Anyone who's read me quote her knows I :love: :love: her. I wanted to enter on her day, but this year, it's still during Lent.

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Apr 12 2006, 07:40 AM']Anyone who's read me quote her knows I :love: :love: her.  I wanted to enter on her day, but this year, it's still during Lent.
[right][snapback]944579[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sorry Denise, I didn't know. Next year on 4/12 I will post her story on your behalf.

Well it's getin close now, it's almost here. :rolleyes: I am sooooo excited for you. I wish I had the words to tell you. God love you.
Mr. Ray

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Today's Saints are:
St. Julius (Historical)
St. Sabbas the Goth (Historical)
St. Alferius

This is a great idea, Lori.

ALFERIUS
[Saint Alferus]

Also known as
Adalfere; Adalfericus; Alfere; Alferius of La Cava; Alpherius
Memorial
12 April
Member of the noble Pappacarbone family. Ambassador for Duke Gisulf of Salerno. When he fell seriously ill at the abbey of Chiusa, Italy, he made the common promise to God that if he lived, he would enter religious life. When he recovered, he became a monk at Cluny, training under Saint Odilio. Duke Gisulf recalled him to Salerno to reform the monasteries in his region.

Alferius met with little success, and in 1011 he became a hermit on Mount Fenestra near Salerno. His reputation for holiness and wisdom spread, and he attracted students. He selected twelve, and founded the Benedictine abbey Holy Trinity of La Cava under the Cluniac rule. The abbey became the motherhouse for scores of others in the region; this network of houses became a powerful force for civilization and religion in Sicily and southern Italy, and twelve of the motherhouse abbots have been beatified to date. Lived to be 120, governing the abbey till the day he died; on that day, he celebrated Mass, and washed the feet of his brothers, including the future Pope Victor III.
Born
930 at Salerno, Italy
Died
Holy Thursday 1050
Beatified
1893 (cultus confirmed)
Additional Information
For All The Saints
All Saints Episcopal Church
Kirken i Norge [norwegian]

This is one of my favorite Saints...

St. Michael, the Archangel
Feastday: September 29
Patron of grocers, mariners, paratroopers, police, and sickness

St. Michael, the Archangel - Feast day - September 29th The name Michael signifies "Who is like to God?" and was the warcry of the good angels in the battle fought in heaven against satan and his followers. Holy Scripture describes St. Michael as "one of the chief princes," and leader of the forces of heaven in their triumph over the powers of hell. He has been especially honored and invoked as patron and protector by the Church from the time of the Apostles. Although he is always called "the Archangel," the Greek Fathers and many others place him over all the angels - as Prince of the Seraphim. St. Michael is the patron of grocers, mariners, paratroopers, police and sickness.

I like St. Michael too. When I was in Airborne school I attended Mass on post (Ft. Benning, Georgia) and all of us in Airborne school were given St. Michael medals to put on our dog tags. :cool: In the Army you're allowed to wear one religious medal on your dog tags.

I'm sure you like St. Michael too...lol :P: I too...can only pick ONE religious medal to take with me to the convent...and I have like 20 and have NO IDEA which one to take.... :idontknow:

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Apr 12 2006, 09:42 AM']I like St. Michael too.  When I was in Airborne school I attended Mass on post (Ft. Benning, Georgia) and all of us in Airborne school were given St. Michael medals to put on our dog tags.  :cool:  In the Army you're allowed to wear one religious medal on your dog tags.
[right][snapback]944681[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='phatdaddy' date='Apr 12 2006, 07:11 AM']Sorry Denise, I didn't know.  Next year on 4/12 I will post her story on your behalf.

Well it's getin close now, it's almost here.  :rolleyes: I am sooooo excited for you.  I wish I had the words to tell you.  God love you.
Mr. Ray
[right][snapback]944585[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why are you sorry? I'm confused.

:idontknow:

[quote name='SisterAli' date='Apr 12 2006, 08:52 AM']I'm sure you like St. Michael too...lol  :P:  I too...can only pick ONE religious medal to take with me to the convent...and I have like 20 and have NO IDEA which one to take.... :idontknow:
[right][snapback]944687[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You can only bring one with you to wear? I saw one sister who attached medals on her 'our Father' beads on her little rosary she carried with her. I don't know. . .