An Old School Catholic Message Board

Openly Gay Priest

Lil Red

Good Friday

Let me rephrase.

IF indeed this priest is speaking against Church teaching, then he should be laicized. And yes, I do think he should be laicized, just like I think any layman speaking against Church teaching should be excommunicated if they refuse to hear what the Church is saying. It is one thing to struggle with the Church's teaching on some matter or another. I struggle with one particular teaching every day of my life. It is quite another to publically promote dissent against that teaching. This is uncalled for, especially from a priest. It causes major scandal, for Pete's sake. How many Catholics are unclear on what the Church teaches because many of the priests have abandoned Church teaching?

I find it interesting that some of the same people in this thread calling for us to stop judging priests also called him a "Catholic," with quotation marks, implying that he is not really Catholic. All I did was call for his laicization, y'all passed judgement on his faith.

hyperdulia again

The Texas Sodomy law was just about Homosexuality Luke. It out-lawed oral and anal sex between members of the same sex, but not for opposite sex relationships. Even Clarence Thomas who voted to up-hold sodomy laws called the law in Texas "uncommonly stupid" or something to that effect. If I fall off of the Chaste homosexual wagon tonight I don't need to go to jail for it.

ryanmeyersmusic

what i meant by what i said is that talking about someone on a message board like this is at best slander and gossip. it's not doing anything for the Church, or that particular believer. if you were to approach that person and correct them, or even approach their pastor or bishop to let them know about it, that would be understandable. there's no way to justify making judging comments about someone to a bunch of people that don't even know them (or even of them). i didn't mean priests were above reproach, but i did mean that EVERYONE should be protected from slander.

St. Catherine of Siena, not laity, but also not clergy, told the Pope (!) to go back to Rome. We are certainly in a position to correct priests. They are not above our reproach any more than any other Catholic.

Now, I believe in being careful about pronouncing judgment. I do not believe in remaining silent about priests by virtue of their office. Nor bishops, for that matter.

I cannot imagine laicizing a priest for one such occurence. The Church typically acts carefully in these situations. Everyone strays at some point, and instant and extremely predjudicial actions are not the Church's modus operandi.

Correcting a Priest is one thing, calling for him to removed from the clergy is something different. A decision ultimately left up to the POPE!

Firstly,

We don't even know the identity of this priest...our comments are not so much directed against this person, (at least mine aren't) but towards anyone (with or without roman collar) who publicly speaks of the Catholic Church in an unsavory manner.

Earlier this year, the television showed footage of a woman clobbering her little two year old in a Walmart parking lot. Subsequently, a (wo)man-hunt for the mother took place, her child was put in foster care, and she was charged with child abuse. If someone said, "anyone who does that needs to receive XYZ punishment," would you consider that slander or gossip?

We have NO WAY of reaching the multitudes of people who watched that program. The damage that's been done is done, and there is nothing that we can do at all, except vent a little.

True, we have no authority to censure, issue an order of silence, or laicize a priest. All that authority belongs to the Church hierarchy. So, in essence, no harm done. (imho)

I will add, however, that I am sick of dissenting priests being put in the spotlight; THAT gives our Church and our clergy a bigger black eye than us discussing (and sharing our outrage at) such an incident amongst ourselves.

Pax Christi. <><

Here's the article that ABC News wrote up on their Nightline website. But it doesn't have a video of the actual interview. And it doesn't have anywhere in there where he was disagreeing with the Church's teaching (which is the only part I saw). So judge for yourself.

Print Interview

Jake Huether

They don't really distinguish between "gay" and "homosexual". To me, "gay" refers more to someone who is living an actively gay life. Whereas "homosexual" tends to refer more to simply the orientation.

If this priest is homosexual, yet living a chaste life, then it is a whole entirely different issue. The fact that he managed to divide a church over his statements leads me to believe that he was supporting an ACTIVELY gay life, which indeed is against Church teachings.

for this priest:

In theNameoftheFatherandtheSonandtheHolySpirit

Our Father who art in Heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil AMEN

Hail Mary, full of grace, the LORD is with thee, blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. AMEN

Hail Mary full of grace, the LORD is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death AMEN.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the LORD is with thee. Blessed art thou amongs women, and blessed is the fruit of the womb, JESUS. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death AMEN.

Glory be to the FatherandtotheSonandtotheHolySpirt. As it was in the begining is now and ever shall be. World without end AMEN.

Oh my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell. Lead all souls to heaven, especially those in most need of thy mercy.

Oh God, some of your priests have wandered from the path of truth, LORD, help them back to the one truth in union with the Holy Father as Christ is in union with thee. Lord, help those who struggle with same sex attraction. They need strength and guidance. Through Jesus Christ we pray

Mary, watch over all priests

All saints, be their examples

may our priests serve God with unwaivering virtue and wisdom

In theNameoftheFatherandtheSonandtheHolySpirit, AMEN

I have a problem with the fact that he says he is 'gay'. There is distinction between Homosexual and Gay in my opinion. Gay means you lead an active homosexual lifestyle with no regard for Holy Mother Church or God. Homosexual means you have a same sex attraction, but do not immerse yourself in the 'lifestyle' and believe it is disorder and a cross to bear for Christ. From what I read, this Priest does not believe it is a disorder or a cross, since he said it was a 'gift'. The was some of the parishoners said he would always talk about also makes me wonder.

If I was his Bishop, I would have asked him to recant, and affirm the Church's teaching. Or, if he did mean what I said, then to clarify and never speak of it again from the pulpit (certainly is not the place). If he refused, then he would have been suspended, and then as Bishop I would go from there. I can't be in his mind so anything beyond that would require lots of prayers, lots of consultation with Roman and other American authorities, and an open and honest meeting with the Priest in question.

I am not a Bishop however, and I am glad that I am not his Bishop because this would be something difficult to deal with.

Pray for this Priest, he needs prayers. As do all Priests, but certainly the ones who seem to be straying from the faith.

Thanks for bringing the article up.

Agreed Credo.  Did ya see my post?  Cool!

LOL, I did read your post and I agreed with it completely.

Then I started typing, forgot what I was going to say, forgot what you said, and accidently repeated almost exactly what you said. Sorry! LOL.

hyperdulia again

a cross can be a gift. a chaste person call themselves gay. my gay "lifestyle" involved a mini-van a cat, two dogs and a five year-old.

Edited by hyperdulia again

• 10 years later...