An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smme And The Nashville Dominicans

philosophette

philosophette

I have always wondered what made them so different from one another. I know they are both quite popular on here, so I am hoping that someone can explain it to me and possibly even tell me what it was that made the SMME foundress want to found another OP order (besides the HS, of course).

thanks. :blush:

Ora et Labora

i visited the SMME sisters, and they're completely awesome, but just not for me. :) i am going to visit the nashville dominicans this october (at elast, i'm hoping to.) i don't really know what makes them so different, other then the fact that nashville is tons bigger then SMME. lol! that doesn't really help though. :blush: but, it's a good question. i've heard it's because the nashville nuns were getting too big...they're community. but, this might be wrong. :idontknow:

FaithfulRoseofMary

I can let you know after I visit SMME at the end of May...
Yes, the founding Sisters came from the Nashville Dominicans.
As for the inspiration/motive for the founding and charism of SMME... I'll ask...
I'm curious myself.

How beautiful for this community to be dedicated and named for Mary - Mother of the Eucharist.

Thanks
FaithfulRoseofMary
- (fellow fan of the Salesians from New Jersey!)
- (say "Hi!" to Sr. Antoinette & Sr. Colleen for me!)
=======================================

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1267015' date='May 7 2007, 04:19 PM']I have always wondered what made them so different from one another. I know they are both quite popular on here, so I am hoping that someone can explain it to me and possibly even tell me what it was that made the SMME foundress want to found another OP order (besides the HS, of course).

thanks. :blush:[/quote]

I think it's a number of things. M. Assumpta wanted the community to expand beyond just teaching to encompass the New Evanglization. She also wanted to started new communities in different parts of the country. She also wanted a Holy Hour daily. The SMME's have a Holy Hour of sorts but it's really just Office of Readings, Meditation and Lauds. So, I guess that means we have a Holy 2 hours in our monastery :-)

Anyway, I think, from what I've heard that the spirit of the SMME's is different than the sisters of Nashville.

In the end the differences are minor. It's like our monasteries. Each monastery follows the same constitutions but the spirit of each house is different. One feels "at home" in one monastery rather than the other but it's hard to express why.

SMC

Well, I've been to both. And we've talked about the differences between the two community's charisms before. Here are a couple old threads:

Ah ha... [b][url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=43670&hl=Nashville+Dominicans+SMME"]this is the one I wanted[/url][/b].

Also, try these:

[b][url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=65600&st=0"]The Nashville Dominicans[/url][/b]
[b]
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=63472&hl="]SMME moving throughout the country[/url][/b]

Edited by shortnun

I hope I can state this correctly, as I know the SMME foundresses.

JPII had sent out a call for the "new evangelization," meaning CATHOLICS needed to be reminded of the great deposit of faith which is theirs.

Mother Assumpta, Sr. Joseph Andrew, and three others had been feeling the Holy Ghost moving within them to found a new community. I'm not sure which came first, the pope's call, or the foundresses' inspirations, but the two came together, and they had a new charism in the Dominican tradition.

Physically, there are a couple of differences between their habits. The SMMEs have a thinner headband on the veil, and have added a medallion. Otherwise, the habits are identical. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Nashville is growing despite the fact that five of their number left to found the SMMEs. Both convents are being blessed abundantly with vocations.

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

It seems to me that Mother Assumpta felt a call to form the group for the purpose of strengthening religious life. It is possible when she and the founding sisters left the Nashville Dominicans they felt their former group were not as faithful to the call of religous life as they needed to be. (although obviously they must be very faithful to their call or they wouldn't have so many vocations.) That is purely speculation, but if you form a group to renew religious life you must feel something needs renewing. Here is what the SMME website says about their history and why they were founded:

In 1996, Pope John Paul II’s summons for the “new evangelization” inspired our four Dominican foundresses to undertake a new initiative -- to seek God’s pledge of future glory for the purpose of renewing religious life, reviving traditional Catholic education and restoring authentic Catholic culture. On February 9, 1997, John Cardinal O’Connor recognized our desire to develop a new institute of consecrated life and established us as a Public Association of Christ’s Faithful in the Archdiocese of New York, as the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist.

AlterDominicus

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1267050' date='May 7 2007, 03:53 PM']I think it's a number of things. M. Assumpta wanted the community to expand beyond just teaching to encompass the New Evanglization. She also wanted to started new communities in different parts of the country. She also wanted a Holy Hour daily. The SMME's have a Holy Hour of sorts but it's really just Office of Readings, Meditation and Lauds. So, I guess that means we have a Holy 2 hours in our monastery :-)

Anyway, I think, from what I've heard that the spirit of the SMME's is different than the sisters of Nashville.

In the end the differences are minor. It's like our monasteries. Each monastery follows the same constitutions but the spirit of each house is different. One feels "at home" in one monastery rather than the other but it's hard to express why.

SMC[/quote]
I agree with Sister Mary Catharine, I should know, I got nicknamed their commuity historian, and left several Sisters quite blank in the face when I ran through 10 years of history and the beyond.

Daily periods of Euharistic Adoration, Sister Joseph Andrew put it quite clearly that what attracted most of them women was the all night Adoration - doing more then just retreats and talks, "we will work in whatever forms the church needs us most" ~ Mother Assumpta Long, Vatican 2007 for the approval of the community. The name, Sisters of MARY, MOTHER OF THE EUCHARIST, their devotion to our Blessed Mother is far beyond anything I've ever seen, and those of you who been there know that. Its just powerful...in the fact that everything thats done and brought up, like their new chapel is ALL eternity% for the Glory of our Father.

The four founders hardly knew each other, Nashville was a big community even a deacade ago, they still had all kinds of assorted missions, the four didnt just sit down at a coffee table in the parlor one day and say, "Hey! Lets go found a community!" Somehow, some way God intervened so miraculously in the choosing of these four unworthy sinners its a mystery to me!!! It still is! I could write a book on them! Its nuts!

Anyway.... :P: Yeah...haha.... :lol:

Edited by AlterDominicus

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='sismaria' post='1267059' date='May 7 2007, 04:59 PM']It seems to me that Mother Assumpta felt a call to form the group for the purpose of strengthening religious life. It is possible when she and the founding sisters left the Nashville Dominicans they felt their former group were not as faithful to the call of religous life as they needed to be. (although obviously they must be very faithful to their call or they wouldn't have so many vocations.) That is purely speculation, but if you form a group to renew religious life you must feel something needs renewing. Here is what the SMME website says about their history and why they were founded:
In 1996, Pope John Paul II’s summons for the “new evangelization” inspired our four Dominican foundresses to undertake a new initiative -- to seek God’s pledge of future glory for the purpose of renewing religious life, reviving traditional Catholic education and restoring authentic Catholic culture. On February 9, 1997, John Cardinal O’Connor recognized our desire to develop a new institute of consecrated life and established us as a Public Association of Christ’s Faithful in the Archdiocese of New York, as the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist.[/quote]

The quote says "renewing religious life" not "renewing their charism". The Nashvilles are about as faithful as you can get! From what I understand it was both, the grace to respond to JP II's call for the New Evangelization and M. Assumpta having a vision to respond to this that was in a way that was at "odds" with the Nashville community. Nashville does ONLY teaching in schools whereas the SMME's are leaving themselves open to do retreat work, evangelization, etc. besides teaching. Also, they have a specifically Eucharistic orientation. So, there is a difference in charism at this point. I would also say that the SMME's are more active than the Nashville's. At least that is the impression I get.

AlterDominicus

Jackpot. Mother Assumpta was at one point the superior of the Nashville commuity. Just a little fact to jump in

The years between 1976 and 1988 were filled with apostolic activity, the promotion of religious life nationally and internationally and work leading up to the approval of the Congregation’s Constitutions. Following the leadership of Mother Marie William, her successor, Mother Assumpta Long traveled extensively for the cause of religious life. She frequently spoke to national assemblies of laity and churchmen to explain in clear terms the teaching of the Church in regard to religious life, as well as topics of interest such as the role of women today and authority in the Church. Contacts were made with members of the Curia and the Church’s hierarchy. Throughout these years the concerns of the universal Church continued to be at the center of the Congregation’s prayer life and concern.
[Promoting Religious Life, History of Saint Cecilia Congregation]

Ora et Labora

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1267178' date='May 7 2007, 05:05 PM']I agree with Sister Mary Catharine, I should know, I got nicknamed their commuity historian, and left several Sisters quite blank in the face when I ran through 10 years of history and the beyond.

Daily periods of Euharistic Adoration, Sister Joseph Andrew put it quite clearly that what attracted most of them women was the all night Adoration - doing more then just retreats and talks, "we will work in whatever forms the church needs us most" ~ Mother Assumpta Long, Vatican 2007 for the approval of the community. The name, Sisters of MARY, MOTHER OF THE EUCHARIST, their devotion to our Blessed Mother is far beyond anything I've ever seen, and those of you who been there know that. Its just powerful...in the fact that everything thats done and brought up, like their new chapel is ALL eternity% for the Glory of our Father.

The four founders hardly knew each other, Nashville was a big community even a deacade ago, they still had all kinds of assorted missions, the four didnt just sit down at a coffee table in the parlor one day and say, "Hey! Lets go found a community!" Somehow, some way God intervened so miraculously in the choosing of these four unworthy sinners its a mystery to me!!! It still is! I could write a book on them! Its nuts!

Anyway.... :P: Yeah...haha.... :lol:[/quote]

4?

Ora et Labora

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1267184' date='May 7 2007, 05:11 PM']Jackpot. Mother Assumpta was at one point the superior of the Nashville commuity. Just a little fact to jump in

The years between 1976 and 1988 were filled with apostolic activity, the promotion of religious life nationally and internationally and work leading up to the approval of the Congregation’s Constitutions. Following the leadership of Mother Marie William, her successor, Mother Assumpta Long traveled extensively for the cause of religious life. She frequently spoke to national assemblies of laity and churchmen to explain in clear terms the teaching of the Church in regard to religious life, as well as topics of interest such as the role of women today and authority in the Church. Contacts were made with members of the Curia and the Church’s hierarchy. Throughout these years the concerns of the universal Church continued to be at the center of the Congregation’s prayer life and concern.
[Promoting Religious Life, History of Saint Cecilia Congregation][/quote]

she's pretty awesome! i love her. ;)

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1267179' date='May 7 2007, 05:05 PM']The quote says "renewing religious life" not "renewing their charism". The Nashvilles are about as faithful as you can get! From what I understand it was both, the grace to respond to JP II's call for the New Evangelization and M. Assumpta having a vision to respond to this that was in a way that was at "odds" with the Nashville community. Nashville does ONLY teaching in schools whereas the SMME's are leaving themselves open to do retreat work, evangelization, etc. besides teaching. Also, they have a specifically Eucharistic orientation. So, there is a difference in charism at this point. I would also say that the SMME's are more active than the Nashville's. At least that is the impression I get.[/quote]

ohh thank you sooo much!

AlterDominicus

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1267188' date='May 7 2007, 05:14 PM']4?[/quote]

Yes four, Mother Assumpta, Sister Joseph Andrew, Sister Mary Samuel, and Sister John Dominic