An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smme And The Nashville Dominicans

philosophette

AlterDominicus

SMME in Ann Arbor Michigan, Nashville Dominicans, well in Nashville TN, difference in habit is the veil and SMME wear their symbol, medal.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1267179' date='May 7 2007, 05:05 PM']The quote says "renewing religious life" not "renewing their charism". The Nashvilles are about as faithful as you can get! From what I understand it was both, the grace to respond to JP II's call for the New Evangelization and M. Assumpta having a vision to respond to this that was in a way that was at "odds" with the Nashville community. Nashville does ONLY teaching in schools whereas the SMME's are leaving themselves open to do retreat work, evangelization, etc. besides teaching. Also, they have a specifically Eucharistic orientation. So, there is a difference in charism at this point. I would also say that the SMME's are more active than the Nashville's. At least that is the impression I get.[/quote]
This very much reflects my experience of the two communities when I've visited with them and/or their members. A charism is a gift to the church (to the world)... and Nashville's is very much teaching... and teaching alone. And that's *not* a bad or limiting thing. It's their gift. Ann Arbor's charism (as I would categorize it) falls under evangelization. There are certainly more nuanced ways of living and preaching the TRUTH of the order that are a further reflection of their charism so far as someone else might perceive it.

Ora et Labora

yes! i knew one of the postulants before her entrance. Sister Sam. She's awesome! :D:

AlterDominicus

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1267245' date='May 7 2007, 05:46 PM']i meant the 4 nuns, lol! i've been to SMME. ^_^[/quote]
All from TN
Oh! Haha. Sister Joseph Andrew is from Oakridge, Mother Assumpta is from Jackson, Sister Mary Samuel is from Memphis, and Sister John Dominic is from Nashville.

Sister Sami you are talking about? I met her, Sister Peter Mary I knew before she entered, Sister Maria Caritas and I go way, back, so do Sister Chelsea and I, and now I've become a Sister there by Sister Maria Kolbe, it was great, three Sisters called me Sister, haha! It was to good to be true! I was sitting at the table with Sister Maria Kolbe and another Sister, and the Sister sitting in front of me commented that us two bring the house down, or were great together, something like that.

I am also the postulants sports expert, I am the communities historian, and somehow I ended up being a real familiar face for the novices and the community, and Mother Assumpta and I have met under unexpected occasions in the community. THEIR GREAT!

Ora et Labora

So, are you a Postulant there now? :) Yah! Isn't she awesome!? We met last May at the retreat...she and I are so much alike. When we met we kinda were freaking out because our backgrounds are SO much alike! haha! It was freaky...I got to stay at their guest house with her and two other girls. It was so much fun! I don't know if she'd remember me though. :blush:

AlterDominicus

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1267629' date='May 7 2007, 10:28 PM']So, are you a Postulant there now? :) Yah! Isn't she awesome!? We met last May at the retreat...she and I are so much alike. When we met we kinda were freaking out because our backgrounds are SO much alike! haha! It was freaky...I got to stay at their guest house with her and two other girls. It was so much fun! I don't know if she'd remember me though. :blush:[/quote]

I'm in ALOT of ways "theirs" - I have that same exact thing with a friend on phatmass who entered the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters in Saint Louis, we are 99.9% alike, except our physical appearance, it was so FREAKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, they say that everyone has a twin, well I believe I found mine! TheresaAvilia was her s/n on here.

Ora et Labora

haha!! that's what happened to sami and i! ^_^ we look nothing alike. lol!

philosophette

Thanks for all of the info about this. I had wondered for the longest time. It now makes more sense.

*special thanks to Johnny B Girl* ;)

AlterDominicus
:grouphug: Awww....thanks for making the thread Philo. It was nice friendly debate.

Johnny B Girl
+