An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Fairtax.

Lounge Daddy

dairygirl4u2c

i do concede the proofs, are in the details and the mathematical models.
i might be wrong. but, what i said seems to me to be the common sense answer, given how much the rich would have ot spend, to actually make it truly progressive, or even like a flat tax.
i've never seen places like fairtax.org, or any real attempt to prove my statements wrong, and i've looked around.
i have seen, though,,,, proofs that it's income netural... which i believe.

also,,, there are even with what i said many advantages as mentioned in previous posts.
i used to be a fair tax advocate, but something always haunted me in the back of my mind, and then i started realizing what i said in my last post.
i'd rather have a progressive, or at least a flax tax system...despite all the other benefits, like th ability to not pay taxes, and not tax productivity etc.
if i am wrong, then i'd be all for the fair tax.
i'm not super certain on this (i'm not certain on global warming either but more certain about that than this,,,, but i'm even less certain about this, to put it in perspective)

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

if you say you're not for regressive taxes, then you shouldn't be for the fair tax, either. cause it's ultimately regressive, in the sense that's usually meant by the word regressive.
to prove my point........

consider real world and realistic examples.

A is poor, at 15k per year. he gets all refunds, so truly the fair tax has some benefits to it. as he pays 0% because of his refund. if the refund is up to 5k. and let's say he spends 5k, he got taxed at twenty three percent, but he got it all back, and so his overall taxes on income is zero percent.

B is medium, at 50k per year. he spends ten thousand. he gets back five k factor. so his tax on stuff, instead of 23 percent, is 12.5 percent. overall, a fourth of ten thousand, is 2500, and half of that is 1200. he gets taxed at 2.4%overall....
remembert these are realistic but still hypothetical.

C is high, at 100k per year. he spends twenty thousand. he gets back five k. so his tax on stuff, instead of 23 percent, is 18%. we see how it's called a progressive tax. he spends 1800 in taxes, and so overall, he pays.... 1.8% ovrall.

and now you can see my point illustrated. it can be called progressive in a sense, as the rich man paid eighteen instead of 12.5 percent, and rich man paid more in terms of dollars, ie 1800 instead of 1200. but, the point that most don't know about.... is that the total tax in terms of proportion tohis income,,,, is two point four for hte medium man, and only one point eight for the rich man.

and.... as the persons get richer, that effect is only exacerated. they'll pay closer and closer to twney three percent on the sale... but overall, they'll pay less and less as a percentage of their total income, cause the rich simply do not spend enough to make it work.
a house and a car even at luxury, is less andless of a drop in the bucket for the more an more rich. they'd have to up it a lot more, to make it proportional to what a poor man buys. ie, as a poor man spends a fourth of his income on gas.... the rich man pays a percent,,,, a fourth on buying a car, compared to a percent in buying a car etc.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

I had a conversation with my friend Dan the other day about this. He was admittedly more knowledgable than I on the issue of taxation and he kind of threw me for a loop. He referred to the fair tax (and the flat tax) as a regressive tax, saying that "the rich won't feel it" while the poor while "suffer." How do I combat this charge?

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1601322' date='Jul 16 2008, 05:29 PM']Obama said that he would support fair tax if the whole system was starting over, but he thinks reform would be too tough now :rolleyes:[/quote]

I thought that he was all for "Change"?

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1604471' date='Jul 21 2008, 12:13 PM']I thought that he was all for "Change"?[/quote]
I guess not if it takes too much effort. He's all for Easy Change though!

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1604471' date='Jul 21 2008, 12:13 PM']I thought that he was all for "Change"?[/quote]
Hey buddy, gotta a quarter?

• 3 months later...

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ca/TaxCode.jpg[/img]

Rep John Linder holding the 132 page Fair Tax Act in contrast to over 60,000 pages of U.S. tax code.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1584625' date='Jun 27 2008, 08:12 AM']Neanderthals were, according to all archaelogical evidence, much more intelligent, caring, and even possibly religious than our ancestors that were their contemporaries.

lol... I suppose that misses the point though :cyclops:[/quote]
You've been reading too much Jean Auel.