An Old School Catholic Message Board

Colin Powell Endorses Obama!

Hassan

[quote name='SpareTime' post='1682837' date='Oct 21 2008, 06:06 PM']that statement is racist in and of itself.[/quote]

I thought so too.

There is not ONE SHRED of evidence that Poweel endorsed Obama because Obama is black. He gave an inteligent justification for his decision to come foreward with his endorsment.

And now, solely because General Powell is black, people are claiming he endorsed Obama because he's black.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1682923' date='Oct 21 2008, 07:17 PM']I thought so too.

There is not ONE SHRED of evidence that Poweel endorsed Obama because Obama is black. He gave an inteligent justification for his decision to come foreward with his endorsment.

And now, solely because General Powell is black, people are claiming he endorsed Obama because he's black.[/quote]
The entire Republican campaign has been racist and divisive. It makes me ill. There is [i][b]nothing[/b][/i] pro-life about about it.

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1683011' date='Oct 21 2008, 10:19 PM']The entire Republican campaign has been racist and divisive. It makes me ill. There is [i][b]nothing[/b][/i] pro-life about about it.[/quote]
Oh give me a break! Everyone's so quick to throw around the word "racist." Whatever else might be said about the GOP campaign, I don't see anything racist about it.

And quite frankly, I wish McCain and the GOP were a bit [i]more[/i] divisive. Personally, I think he agrees with the lib Dems on too much.
We need a conservative leader who has the stones to stand up to the Dems for conservative principles fearlessly.

I thought his reasons were rather flimsy.
1. He thinks McCain's choice of Palin was not good, because he doesn't think she is ready to step in if needed - yet he thinks Obama, who has never governed or run anything (closest thing he has to admin experience is editing the Harvard Review, which is pretty much a status position) is qualified.
2. He is upset with the negativism on the McCain/Palin side, although he admits that it isn't from the campaign itself but from some of the supporters, yet he is entirely at peace with the way Sarah Palin has been dragged though the mud with unfair and CRUDE comments, and McCain's age, war injuries (he can't send an e-mail) and former cancer has been exploited to the nth degree.
3. He's been a military man and doesn't support a fellow soldier... now THAT'S a bro for you.
4. He's afraid of the supreme court justice appointments, as if the president would act alone? The demoncratic congress would have to confirm any appointments, and you can bet those libs will fight a conservative tooth and nail, applying the abortion litmus test to them.

I'm with Rush on this one, too. Show me the white politician he has crossed party lines to support, and I'll buy the non-racist motive.

[quote name='FSM Sister' post='1683171' date='Oct 22 2008, 12:48 AM']I thought his reasons were rather flimsy.
1. He thinks McCain's choice of Palin was not good, because he doesn't think she is ready to step in if needed - yet he thinks Obama, who has never governed or run anything (closest thing he has to admin experience is editing the Harvard Review, which is pretty much a status position) is qualified.
2. He is upset with the negativism on the McCain/Palin side, although he admits that it isn't from the campaign itself but from some of the supporters, yet he is entirely at peace with the way Sarah Palin has been dragged though the mud with unfair and CRUDE comments, and McCain's age, war injuries (he can't send an e-mail) and former cancer has been exploited to the nth degree.
3. He's been a military man and doesn't support a fellow soldier... now THAT'S a bro for you.
4. He's afraid of the supreme court justice appointments, as if the president would act alone? The demoncratic congress would have to confirm any appointments, and you can bet those libs will fight a conservative tooth and nail, applying the abortion litmus test to them.

I'm with Rush on this one, too. Show me the white politician he has crossed party lines to support, and I'll buy the non-racist motive.[/quote]
All your points are spot on. With #1, every time I hear people talking about Palin's experience and say she doesn't have it, I am forced to think about who is in the #1 slot on the democrat ticket. When people say Palin is a buffoon and can't handle answering questions, I think of Mr. Foot-In-The-Mouth Biden. Neither of those get the same scrutiny as Palin. Argh.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1683094' date='Oct 21 2008, 10:36 PM']Oh give me a break! Everyone's so quick to throw around the word "racist." Whatever else might be said about the GOP campaign, I don't see anything racist about it.

And quite frankly, I wish McCain and the GOP were a bit [i]more[/i] divisive. Personally, I think he agrees with the lib Dems on too much.
We need a conservative leader who has the stones to stand up to the Dems for conservative principles fearlessly.[/quote]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=243gXtXtEwc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=243gXtXtEwc[/url]

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1683391' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:06 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=243gXtXtEwc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=243gXtXtEwc[/url][/quote]
So some cheesy piece of propaganda croutons on Youtube proves "[i]the entire Republican campaign has been racist"[/i]?
A clip with two old people being racist in itself proves nothing. I am sure I could easily find more than a few quite unsavory Obama supporters for that matter.
I mean, a Michael Moore movie is more honest and professional than this sludge.

It hardly shows that most republican voters are motivated by racism, much less any evidence that that the campaign itself is racist.

Yet from this you make the sweeping accusation that "[b]The entire Republican campaign[/b] has been racist"?!

You're smarter than that. Posting such drivel will only destroy your credibility.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Socrates' post='1683981' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:46 PM']So some cheesy piece of propaganda croutons on Youtube proves "[i]the entire Republican campaign has been racist"[/i]?
A clip with two old people being racist in itself proves nothing. I am sure I could easily find more than a few quite unsavory Obama supporters for that matter.
I mean, a Michael Moore movie is more honest and professional than this sludge.

It hardly shows that most republican voters are motivated by racism, much less any evidence that that the campaign itself is racist.

Yet from this you make the sweeping accusation that "[b]The entire Republican campaign[/b] has been racist"?!

You're smarter than that. Posting such drivel will only destroy your credibility.[/quote]
I'd just like to point out that I agree with you. That being said, I think that some people need to be reminded of this.

I never intended to imply that most republican voters are motivated by racism. In fact, I doubt that even a significant minority are motivated by racism. My statement was not meant to reflect my feeling about Republican voters at all. (I am one at times.)

to return to the subject:

I am willing to ignore the few people in the McCain/Palin rally crowds that behave in a racist manner.

It is the response of McCain and Palin to the racist comments that infuriate me. For example, when that one McCain supporter said she did not trust Obama because he is an Arab, McCain responded by saying, "No, he is a decent family man." The implication that Arab men are not decent family men meets my definition of racist.

Palin specifically incites her crowds with hateful rhetoric. It's disgusting.

Colin Powell's disclosure of senior Republican Party members engaging in the dishonest, hateful rhetoric actually surprised me.

Neither Bush presidential campaigns used this tactic... "I'm a uniter, not a divider" worked well.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1683981' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:46 PM']It hardly shows that most republican voters are motivated by racism, much less any evidence that that the campaign itself is racist.[/quote]

agreed

[quote name='FSM Sister' post='1683171' date='Oct 22 2008, 12:48 AM']I'm with Rush on this one, too. Show me the white politician he has crossed party lines to support, and I'll buy the non-racist motive.[/quote]

what asinine methodology

seriously,

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1684009' date='Oct 23 2008, 12:02 AM']I never intended to imply that most republican voters are motivated by racism. In fact, I doubt that even a significant minority are motivated by racism. My statement was not meant to reflect my feeling about Republican voters at all. (I am one at times.)

to return to the subject:

I am willing to ignore the few people in the McCain/Palin rally crowds that behave in a racist manner.

It is the response of McCain and Palin to the racist comments that infuriate me. For example, when that one McCain supporter said she did not trust Obama because he is an Arab, McCain responded by saying, "No, he is a decent family man." The implication that Arab men are not decent family men meets my definition of racist.

Palin specifically incites her crowds with hateful rhetoric. It's disgusting.

Colin Powell's disclosure of senior Republican Party members engaging in the dishonest, hateful rhetoric actually surprised me.

Neither Bush presidential campaigns used this tactic... "I'm a uniter, not a divider" worked well.[/quote]

speak the truth, you'll get hated on for it but you gotta speak it...

Edited by Guest

[quote name='FSM Sister' post='1683171' date='Oct 21 2008, 11:48 PM']I thought his reasons were rather flimsy.

I'm with Rush on this one, too. Show me the white politician he has crossed party lines to support, and I'll buy the non-racist motive.[/quote]
He also cited their responses to the financial crisis / bailout.

Colin Powell had never been accused of such small minded thinking before... but if he supports a black person it must be because he is black? When did he lose the ability to think for himself?

How do you explain all the white military Republicans that have come out in support of Obama?

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1684029' date='Oct 23 2008, 12:14 AM']He also cited their responses to the financial crisis / bailout.

Colin Powell had never been accused of such small minded thinking before... but if he supports a black person it must be because he is black? When did he lose the ability to think for himself?

How do you explain all the white military Republicans that have come out in support of Obama?[/quote]

tgoldson, i wouldnt worry to much about fsm sister or socrates for that matter. Your credabilty dont rely upon what he says. And back to fsm sister, she is the same person who said " if Obama was shot and killed it would save alot of lives"

Edited by Guest