Guest Servant of Divine Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 I really encourage a faithful Catholic to read the book "A Nation for All: How the Catholic Vision of the Common Good Can Save America from the Politics of Division." Mostly its about a wide range of social justice issues and the American Church's response.
Vincent Vega Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 From Amazon.com: [quote] The book, written by the executive director of Catholics United and the executive director of Catholics in Alliance see to provide a framework for Catholics to engage in the political process by engaging their values. [b]Importantly, they speak to the broad range of the values in Catholic Social Teaching, not just abortion, gay marriage and stem cells.[/b] They make heavy use of the US Bishops' document, Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship to show the full range of the values important to American Catholics. [/quote] Without reading the book, I'm tempted to translate this as: "Quit clinging to your [s]guns and religion[/s] abortion and homophobia and believe in change!" I could be/probably am wrong though.
kamiller42 Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 I am currently reading "Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living Our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life" by Archbishop Chaput, one of the greats. It deals with social justice issues, and it's very good. I love his insights. Google him, and you will find one of his interviews. A surprise in the book is a review of Vatican II and what it meant about mid-book. So far, two thumbs up! A steal at $10 for the paperback.
cmotherofpirl Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='28 October 2009 - 01:02 AM' timestamp='1256702579' post='1992547'] From Amazon.com: Without reading the book, I'm tempted to translate this as: "Quit clinging to your [s]guns and religion[/s] abortion and homophobia and believe in change!" I could be/probably am wrong though. [/quote] Who is "Catholics United"?
cmotherofpirl Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='28 October 2009 - 01:19 AM' timestamp='1256703583' post='1992557'] Who is "Catholics United"? [/quote] Never mind, they are catholics who supported Senator Kennedy , so if they wrote it I would be very suspicious of their faithfulness to all of catholic teaching.
Vincent Vega Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 I thought they sounded familiar. So yep, though my Cafeteriese is rusty, I bet my translation is fairly close to being right.
Guest Servant of Divine Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='28 October 2009 - 12:26 AM' timestamp='1256703969' post='1992561'] Never mind, they are catholics who supported Senator Kennedy , so if they wrote it I would be very suspicious of their faithfulness to all of catholic teaching. [/quote] The "Bury Obamacare with Kennedy Signs" are and were tacky, distasteful, Unchristian and ignorant- especially coming from what I thought was a main stream group like the American Life League.
Resurrexi Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 (edited) I recommend Victor Hugo's works (for their literary value, not for their orthodoxy, which is more than highly suspect since many of them were on the [i]Index[/i]). Edited October 28, 2009 by Resurrexi
Vincent Vega Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 What in the Sam Hill does that have to do with anything?
Resurrexi Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='27 October 2009 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1256704722' post='1992572'] What in the Sam Hill does that have to do with anything? [/quote] We were talking about books we recommend.
Vincent Vega Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 Hahaha, sorry, that was aimed at the poster before you. You just got caught in the crossfire.
Nihil Obstat Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='27 October 2009 - 11:45 PM' timestamp='1256705116' post='1992580'] Hahaha, sorry, that was aimed at the poster before you. You just got caught in the crossfire. [/quote] Although technically Rexi's comments are irrelevant too. I highly recommend The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle, but only if you get an original, unabridged version. He takes the traditional Robin Hood stories and adapts them to the Robin Hood we think of today, using an imitation Early Modern English that's quite fun to read. He strongly influenced modern understandings of Robin Hood, considering before him, Robin Hood was just a few ballads about an outright criminal. It's kind of written for children, but I consider it a rather higher reading level because of the language. I've got a fairly early print of it, which is cool since it was written in 1883.
zunshynn Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 I can't remember the name of the author or the exact name of the book... but there's a book about pro-death politicians and what their positions really are that is absolutely fantastic. The author was interviewed by Raymond Arroyo on the World Over a couple of years back. Anyway... there's a book worth reading. An interesting thing about the author was he was agnostic (but I think with a Muslim background) and eventually became adamantly pro-life, which led him to become Catholic.
Maximilianus Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='28 October 2009 - 12:52 AM' timestamp='1256705526' post='1992583'] Although technically Rexi's comments are irrelevant too. I highly recommend The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle, but only if you get an original, unabridged version. He takes the traditional Robin Hood stories and adapts them to the Robin Hood we think of today, using an imitation Early Modern English that's quite fun to read. He strongly influenced modern understandings of Robin Hood, considering before him, Robin Hood was just a few ballads about an outright criminal. It's kind of written for children, but I consider it a rather higher reading level because of the language. I've got a fairly early print of it, which is cool since it was written in 1883. [/quote] Howard Pyle is an indirect influence on my artwork. The Brandywine Artist, especially N.C. Wyeth, are some of my biggest influences, they studied under Pyle. Can't say I'm enthusiastic about the OP's reccomendation. Books I recommend; the "Bad Catholics" guides.
tinytherese Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='27 October 2009 - 11:52 PM' timestamp='1256705526' post='1992583'] Although technically Rexi's comments are irrelevant too. [/quote]
tinytherese Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='27 October 2009 - 11:37 PM' timestamp='1256704677' post='1992571'] I recommend Victor Hugo's works (for their literary value, not for their orthodoxy, which is more than highly suspect since many of them were on the [i]Index[/i]). [/quote] I believe this merits a
cmotherofpirl Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 [quote name='Servant of Divine' date='28 October 2009 - 01:37 AM' timestamp='1256704625' post='1992570'] The "Bury Obamacare with Kennedy Signs" are and were tacky, distasteful, Unchristian and ignorant- especially coming from what I thought was a main stream group like the American Life League. [/quote] Yes they are. On the other hand, catholics who admire the likes of Senator Kennedy, the abortionists best friend, are not authors that I would care to read.
Guest Servant of Divine Posted October 29, 2009 Posted October 29, 2009 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='28 October 2009 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1256738539' post='1992703'] Yes they are. On the other hand, catholics who admire the likes of Senator Kennedy, the abortionists best friend, are not authors that I would care to read. [/quote] If you have a sound faith- as you claim you do- than reading a book would not have any negative effect on you...
Vincent Vega Posted October 29, 2009 Posted October 29, 2009 Would it have a positive effect, though?
zunshynn Posted October 29, 2009 Posted October 29, 2009 [quote name='Servant of Divine' date='28 October 2009 - 06:42 PM' timestamp='1256776955' post='1992987'] If you have a sound faith- as you claim you do- than reading a book would not have any negative effect on you... [/quote] Life is short. Why waste it on a book by "Catholics" causing strife in the Church when one could spend a lifetime reading the writings of the saints, and other good things to deepen one's faith and love of God, and never exhaust what we have available to us?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now