An Old School Catholic Message Board

People Posing As Other People On Singles Profiles...

southern california guy

southern california guy

I was checking out a personals website on a free trial membership when this woman wrote me. She didn't have any pictures but she said she'd posted many on another personals site where I could get a free pass. So I went to the other personals site and found her profile. Everything matched so I knew it was her( 5'10", green eyes, same city, same job).

She wrote and suggested that we exchange phone numbers. Then I missed a call that I thought was from her but when I tried. But when I tried returning her call a guy answered the phone. And he wasn't the one who'd called me. I heard him talk to a woman there and he told me that she had just misdialed.

She's been writing to me on the first site but she wrote recently and told me that her free trial membership was expiring, but she was a member of the other site. So I went to the other site and "winked" at her. To my surprise she wrote back asking what had interested me about her profile and asked me to tell her more about myself. She didn't know who I was!

So who's been writing to me?! :sadder: Her sister? A niece? A friend? Or just somebody that wanted me to join the other website (Which is so popular anyway that I doubt they would bother.)

I've heard of this sort of thing before but this is the first time I've run into it. Crazy isn't it!

I've heard of people playing around pretending to be single when they are married, or making up false identities, but not pretending to be someone else.

[quote name='southern california guy' date='02 November 2009 - 09:18 PM' timestamp='1257221892' post='1995551']
I was checking out a personals website on a free trial membership when this woman wrote me. She didn't have any pictures but she said she'd posted many on another personals site where I could get a free pass. So I went to the other personals site and found her profile. Everything matched so I knew it was her( 5'10", green eyes, same city, same job).

She wrote and suggested that we exchange phone numbers. Then I missed a call that I thought was from her but when I tried. But when I tried returning her call a guy answered the phone. And he wasn't the one who'd called me. I heard him talk to a woman there and he told me that she had just misdialed.

She's been writing to me on the first site but she wrote recently and told me that her free trial membership was expiring, but she was a member of the other site. So I went to the other site and "winked" at her. To my surprise she wrote back asking what had interested me about her profile and asked me to tell her more about myself. She didn't know who I was!

So who's been writing to me?! :sadder: Her sister? A niece? A friend? Or just somebody that wanted me to join the other website (Which is so popular anyway that I doubt they would bother.)

I've heard of this sort of thing before but this is the first time I've run into it. Crazy isn't it!
[/quote]

ive had that happen before. all they are trying to do(at least, i think) is to get you as a member on their own website. dont bother with it. if someone cant post a picture, dont even bother considering looking them up.

southern california guy

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='02 November 2009 - 10:34 PM' timestamp='1257222849' post='1995565']
Was this other personal unusually attractive?
[/quote]

Yes.. beautiful, and very moral and nice..

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='03 November 2009 - 12:36 AM' timestamp='1257226616' post='1995603']
ive had that happen before. all they are trying to do(at least, i think) is to get you as a member on their own website. dont bother with it. if someone cant post a picture, dont even bother considering looking them up.
[/quote]
My husband and I didn't post pictures on the dating site we met on. We're both glad we looked each other up and talked. ;)

TempleofVesarius

For about 2 years someone has been posing as my wife online. They setup photobucket accounts and took pictures from my wife's myspace and facebook pages(which have been deleted or made extremely private). They posted her picture on sites like Wouldyouhitthis.com and HotorNot.com, as well as on countless message boards, using my wife's real name or something close to it. They have also posted personal adds on craigslist. This situation came to be known by us because someone who had been talking to this person actually tracked my wife down and started harrassing her. We contacted the local police, FBI and none of them will touch it. The only thing we can do is when we find something like that out there we contact the webmasters and have the content removed, but that is like playing whack-a-mole. They wont give me the email addresses or IP addresses the content was loaded from. I really wish I could get that info so I could just make it stop, maybe even sue the croutons out of whoever it is. It has been really upsetting to my wife, especially when you hear on the news about all these creeps and stalkers out there. I have actually let one photobucket account stay open so we can monitor it for activity. Does anyone know how I could track this jerk down?

Edited by TempleofVesarius

[quote name='southern california guy' date='03 November 2009 - 06:43 AM' timestamp='1257252182' post='1995648']
Yes.. beautiful, and very moral and nice..
[/quote]
Maybe that's why. She needed a good person to impersonate because she didn't have much of a chance on their own.

[quote name='TempleofVesarius' date='03 November 2009 - 08:26 AM' timestamp='1257258363' post='1995657']
For about 2 years someone has been posing as my wife online. They setup photobucket accounts and took pictures from my wife's myspace and facebook pages(which have been deleted or made extremely private). They posted her picture on sites like Wouldyouhitthis.com and HotorNot.com, as well as on countless message boards, using my wife's real name or something close to it. They have also posted personal adds on craigslist. This situation came to be known by us because someone who had been talking to this person actually tracked my wife down and started harrassing her. We contacted the local police, FBI and none of them will touch it. The only thing we can do is when we find something like that out there we contact the webmasters and have the content removed, but that is like playing whack-a-mole. They wont give me the email addresses or IP addresses the content was loaded from. I really wish I could get that info so I could just make it stop, maybe even sue the croutons out of whoever it is. It has been really upsetting to my wife, especially when you hear on the news about all these creeps and stalkers out there. I have actually let one photobucket account stay open so we can monitor it for activity. Does anyone know how I could track this jerk down?
[/quote]
Seems like you almost have to take matters into your own hands. What about a really good PI?

They are fraundsters posing to be women/men and then target weak men/women ,tell their victims
sad stories via all these dating websites- in order you could send them money.
Then you stop hearing from them again.

[quote name='babygirl' date='03 November 2009 - 01:59 PM' timestamp='1257278357' post='1995786']
They are fraundsters posing to be women/men and then target weak men/women ,tell their victims
sad stories via all these dating websites- in order you could send them money.
Then you stop hearing from them again.
[/quote]
You have to watch out for the Nigerian princes too. :yes:

Please be careful-these awful fraundsters target middle aged men/women who appear single/live a lonely lifestyle.They prey on this fact and appear to be what they are not. You fall in love and then they strike before you know it you might end up bankrupt.
Please be careful-southern calf guy.

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='03 November 2009 - 02:13 PM' timestamp='1257279218' post='1995789']
how do we know we are who we say we are on this phorum? :blink:
[/quote]
I'm an android.

[quote name='southern california guy' date='02 November 2009 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1257221892' post='1995551']

[/quote]

Which is one reason why I don't believe in the internet-dating thing. Nothing beats personal contact - you can gauge first impressions in person.