MC IMaGiNaZUN Posted November 7, 2009 Posted November 7, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Sirklawd' date='06 November 2009 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1257539811' post='1997307'] I'll try to give this a shot. The smarter people can correct me or just completely shoot me down. I dont believe this "new" theory on limbo dimishes baptism in the least. Sacraments are the medium of grace. Grace is the love and power of God bestowed on us to reshape us into holier people and help us on our path to him. Christ established the sacraments as part of his church for those who go through the journey of life. I think there is a possibility that God can offer that same Grace after death, and maybe even give that person the ability to give a proper yes or no? Why not? He's God. The law was made for man, not man for the law. This doesnt change the importance of baptism for the rest of us. But for these special cases, the journey is over before it begins. That's where I see it. And I think the way the catechism states it is a much wiser way to handle the situation. Especially since, atleast here in the State, this was one of those dumb issues that NO ONE understood correctly, and many people used it as an excuse to hate on the church. [/quote] I do like what you said, so i quoted and reposted it because it was pretty good. Another thing that can be added here is that the Sacrament of Baptism is a Sacrament of Initiation, namely initiation into the community of believers, initiation into the Church. If you have observed the RCIA process, or researched some of the history, Initiation comes across as a beautiful process of death, renunciation of satan and sin, learning, purification, spiritual warfare, Resurrection, Glory, New Life, Mystagogy. Grace is so much a part of it, but the process, adventure, the romance of living the Paschal Mystery, nothing quite compares. In fact, sometimes I am jealous that I was raised by people who were not quite sure what they believed or what the Church taught, and I was baptized, perhaps in fear of limbo, perhaps in order to get a ticket into heaven, without any sense of living a LIFE FOR CHRIST, to be a Christ, anointed priest, prophet, and king, and to just live affectively as if nothing happened. (not to say that nothing effective ever happened of course). One of the troubles, I think, is that we get caught up so much on legal arguements of justification, and sometimes forget about the RIGHT NOW living the Life of Christ, the participation in Divine Life, the participation in the community of disciples, the sharing in the One True Body of Christ in the Eucharist, something lived, touched, felt, experienced, inspiring, i think its that romantic adventure that many people are longing for, and we are hung up on giving them the rules, but forget how to initiate them into the experience. Edited November 7, 2009 by MC IMaGiNaZUN
Mark of the Cross Posted November 7, 2009 Posted November 7, 2009 [quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' date='08 November 2009 - 04:12 AM' timestamp='1257613930' post='1997752'] One of the troubles, I think, is that we get caught up so much on legal arguements of justification, and sometimes forget about the RIGHT NOW living the Life of Christ, the participation in Divine Life, the participation in the community of disciples, the sharing in the One True Body of Christ in the Eucharist, something lived, touched, felt, experienced, inspiring, i think its that romantic adventure that many people are longing for, and we are hung up on giving them the rules, but forget how to initiate them into the experience. [/quote] I like that! It's so often true!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now