An Old School Catholic Message Board

What You Want Or What God Wants?

morostheos

I really want to be married. But is it really about what I want or what God wants? Do people called to the religious life not feel the urge to be in a relationship with someone else (on earth ;) ) the rest of their life? Or does the feeling that I should be in a relationship only point to the need for more spiritual growth?

If you are married or religious, what are your thoughts on these things??

Thy Geekdom Come

Well, you'll be the most content if you do what God wants. I think that alone is sufficient reason to follow His will in place of your own.

our times discerning are to get us to the point where all we will want for ourselves is what God wants from us...keep asking him to make ur heart malleable to the Spirit, and give him complete permission to be Lord opf our life and lead us wherever he wants us

Theologian in Training

You remember when you were younger how your Mother would always tell you to clean your room, and you would agree just to get her off your back? Then, after a while, after her prompting you so much, you finally consented to do it?

That is God...only He is unrelentless and will make sure you hear Him no matter how loud you play your music ;) and gives you the free choice to make that decision. He eagerly awaits your reply, as He did Mary's..."May it be done unto me according to Thy Word."

God Bless

• 1 year later...

[quote name='friarMatt' date='Apr 7 2004, 12:23 AM']our times discerning are to get us to the point where all we will want for ourselves is what God wants from us...keep asking him to make ur heart malleable to the Spirit, and give him complete permission to be Lord opf our life and lead us wherever he wants us
[right][snapback]156867[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I was wandering thru some old topics and this brought up for me a lot of the truth that I had to face when answering to God and what He has chosen for me.

OOPS my babies are coming back. More later.

I'm back. I thought I logged out. Guess not. :)

Living my life for God is :shock: . But I have a "certain amount of peace" knowing and following what He wants for me. But at the same time it is still "scary" in that I said YES. I didn't realize how much I liked (needed) to be in control until I gave it back to Him.

My days now go by with me trying to "keep my opinions and my hands" out of His way. Trust is tough.

Edited by ofpheritup

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Nov 18 2005, 07:30 AM']Living my life for God is  :shock: .  But I have a "certain amount of peace" knowing and following what He wants for me.  But at the same time it is still "scary" in that I said YES. I didn't realize how much I liked (needed) to be in control until I gave it back to Him. 

My days now go by with me trying to "keep my opinions and my hands" out of His way.  Trust is tough.
[right][snapback]793049[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:D: I think I know exactly what you mean! (in this paragraph) And trust is soooo tough, especially when He asks you to do things that seem ridiculous. But He knows He's doing, unlike me! I like to do my own thing. I love that "keeping my hands and opinions out of His way." I think its important that we make the choice freely, but once we have, I guess we just have to hold on tight and let Him do His stuff, lol!

You know, it's the funniest thing. When I originally wrote this post, I wanted to be married but thought God might be calling me to something else. Now I'm pretty sure I'm called to be married but often wish I could be a nun! :topsy: Following Christ is such an adventure, you never know what He has in store for you around the next bend in the road. :)

I think for me it's what God wants. I don't think I really know what is the desire of my being--I want maybe what society tells me to want, or something. But God created me and He knows what my soul longs for most, and where I will be happiest. Why rely on myself when I can rely on God instead, who's much more steady and always right? :D

But yeah, I really don't know what I want at all...

[quote name='morostheos' date='Nov 17 2005, 07:53 PM']You know, it's the funniest thing.  When I originally wrote this post, I wanted to be married but thought God might be calling me to something else.  Now I'm pretty sure I'm called to be married but often wish I could be a nun!   :topsy: Following Christ is such an adventure, you never know what He has in store for you around the next bend in the road. :)
[right][snapback]793545[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

THAT IS EXACTLY WHERE I AM AT. I feel such an "attraction" to the religious life. I guess you could consider me a "nun fan?" :drool:
But I know that isn't what He wants for me. Coming to that realization HURT because I had to be honest.

There are still "times" even now I am wanting to "ask" God if He is sure?
Ridiculous huh? But understandable. :lol_roll: I have to take the same advice I have given others, I am famous for saying "God is a spirit He doesn't have a "but." :shock:

All I have to say now ladies is Heaven is going to literally have to help whoever God has in mind for me, "I am a handful."
:P: :topsy: :rolleyes: :shock: :juggle:

Poor guy, he has no idea what he is in for. :rolling:

Edited by ofpheritup

Well, I may not be right but this is the way I see it.
God knows what is best for us all, and to ignore him when he's pulling on you is ignorance and selfishness. But to let Him do with you what He wills, to follow him you will certainly be in the right direction. That doesn't mean you won't suffer, because if any tragedy, any tragedy at all, Christ makes good out of it. Suffering, your saving souls, and a million other reasons. But What most people find to be the hard part is figuring out what God wants from you. Just let Him speak to you and He will tell you, He won't leave you alone, and if you feel that you are alone, ask Him to help you, and he will in His sweet time. It is human nature to want to date someone or get married, but with Gods' grace only can we avoid that if you want to enter a religous life. I hope that helps,
~uruviel

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Nov 18 2005, 08:04 AM']THAT IS EXACTLY WHERE I AM AT.  I feel such an "attraction" to the religious life. I guess you could consider me a "nun fan?"  :drool:
But I know that isn't what He wants for me.  Coming to that realization HURT because I had to be honest. 

Ridiculous huh? But understandable.  :lol_roll:   I have to take the same advice I have given others, I am famous for saying "God is a spirit He doesn't have a "but."  :shock:

All I have to say now ladies is Heaven is going to literally have to help whoever God has in mind for me, "I am a handful."
:P:topsy:  :rolleyes: :shock:   :juggle:

[right][snapback]794011[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

HAHA same same here!!! I AM a handful as well ;)
I have thought, since I was 9, that I was to enter the convent, and still, its very strong in my heart, but I have also thought that maybe He's really calling me to marriage life, and it would hurt if I had to admit that I couldn't be a nun! I would of course want to get married but I wouldn't give up being a nun to do it!!! I still yearn to enter the convent, and I hope that I'm going in the right direction, I will pray for y'all!
All I have to say is... Trust in Him, He will lead you the way, if you ask for His mercy, he gives you more than you asked for. :D: God is so Sweet! Isn't he a great DAD!? hahaha, anyways,
God Bless,
~Lori

Edited by uruviel

MC IMaGiNaZUN

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Nov 18 2005, 08:04 AM']THAT IS EXACTLY WHERE I AM AT.  I feel such an "attraction" to the religious life. I guess you could consider me a "nun fan?"  :drool:
But I know that isn't what He wants for me.  Coming to that realization HURT because I had to be honest. 

Ridiculous huh? But understandable.  :lol_roll:  I have to take the same advice I have given others, I am famous for saying "God is a spirit He doesn't have a "but."  :shock:

:P:topsy:  :rolleyes: :shock:  :juggle:

[right][snapback]794011[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Being a "nun fan" could also be an indication of your children's vocation. I do know of a few religious who had zero family support.

Poor guy? I think you are ready, lets hope God would be preparing him? :shock:

SHALOM

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I am so foolish, i got distracted from what i was going to say?!

I wanted with all my heart to be a priest, it has never been that i don't want a "relationship." I want many relationships, fulfilling relationships, diverse relationships, that are not limited to being romantic/erotic. However, relationships based on Christlike Love.

I like the opposite sex is a crappy excuse to not consider religious life.

Anyways, being that we desire it, (but also desire something else) doesnt always mean we desire something contrary to God's will.

A good priest would choose to follow God's will on that path, because of priesthood not marriage.

A good husband would choose to follow God's will on that path because of marriage not priesthood.

I don't know if i make sense, but i don't make much of that usually.

SHALOM

I totally agree, that's very well said, and " like the opposite sex is a crappy excuse to not consider religious life." your completely right. I do not think you should shut out the religous life because you like the oppsite sex, or you should shut out marriage because you feel a desire to enter religous life. God will tell you, just ask Him and speak to Him frequently, form a relationship out of love with Him, so that even if you do have a relationship with the oppsosite sex, it's done with God, and for God.