An Old School Catholic Message Board

Redwall

Thomist-in-Training

Thomist-in-Training

As is my wont, I was looking for something to reread from around the house and I found [u]Redwall.[/u] Spoiler alert. :detective: The hero is a mouse named Matthias and there is an ancient tapestry with another hero-mouse whose name also starts with M. Inscribed behind the tapestry is a poem, in which the name Matthias is anagrammatized as "I--am that is." This is repeated in another poem, somehow addressed to Matthias across the ages. At the end of the book Matthias faces off against the villain and when the villain says "Who are you?" he replies "I AM THAT IS!"

:unsure:

No flame land. I know it's a children's book and I enjoyed it. It's not a philosophy handbook. But isn't that a weird name for a hero, give that it's basically the name of God?

that book is a primer for young furries.

:P

i like that series, and i always thought that part was more lame than him claiming to be god.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='13 November 2009 - 02:04 PM' timestamp='1258142649' post='2002288']
Srsly, I think there is an XKCD comic on how Redwall parallels with LotR. I laughed cause it's true.
[/quote]
That's what it was! :lol: I couldn't remember where I read that from.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='13 November 2009 - 10:13 AM' timestamp='1258132424' post='2002159']
that book is a primer for young furries.

:P

i like that series, and i always thought that part was more lame than him claiming to be god.
[/quote]
I never read [i]Redwall[/i], but I did read [i]Watership Down[/i].

[quote name='T-Bone _' date='13 November 2009 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1258148436' post='2002329']
but I did read [i]Watership Down[/i].
[/quote]

Best. bunny book. ever.

Edited by Resurrexi

i always enjoyed redwall, but when i first read it i never remember that connection or thinking anything of it. i guess i'd have to reread it.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 November 2009 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1258155040' post='2002375']
I never did read any of those. I'm not really a fan of talking animals.
[/quote]

Narnia?

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='13 November 2009 - 05:32 PM' timestamp='1258155153' post='2002377']
Narnia?
[/quote]
My least favourite of that series was the one about the horse.

I never really got into them; my favourite was the Magician's Nephew.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 November 2009 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1258143377' post='2002296']
That's what it was! :lol: I couldn't remember where I read that from.
[/quote]

My brother & sister talk about XKCD all the time but I don't know what it is. :detective:

txdinghysailor

I've read all the Redwall books, don't judge me, and I think that they're kinda allegorical but I always tried to ignore that part and focus on the fun stuff. I never like figuring out the allegorical parts in any book, becuase it takes away from the actual story.

But as to that line, I think it's possible he was trying to be allegorical, but then again, it could just be that he was looking for a phrase that seemed "other-worldly" and also was part of the name Matthias. I dunno for sure, but that makes sense to me...