An Old School Catholic Message Board

"the Nun"?

Maria Faustina

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='CatherineM' date='26 November 2009 - 02:35 PM' timestamp='1259260515' post='2009776']
Our DVD version came as a double feature with "Shoes of the Fisherman."
[/quote]

I loved Shoes of the Fisherman. I thought Anthony Quinn was great as well as the guy from the man from U.N.C.L.E. who played the young theologian. I wonder if he was supposed to be Teliard De Chardin? Any way it too was a touching story.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='26 November 2009 - 02:28 PM' timestamp='1259267336' post='2009829']
I loved Shoes of the Fisherman. I thought Anthony Quinn was great as well as the guy from the man from U.N.C.L.E. who played the young theologian. I wonder if he was supposed to be Teliard De Chardin? Any way it too was a touching story.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity
[/quote]
Yes, the character in the book and movie were based on Teliard. I really like how the movie shows the behind the scenes process of voting for the Pope.

Is it inappropriate that I only read Vocation Station threads for the few controversial ones that pop up once in a while? :P

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='26 November 2009 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1259290230' post='2009974']
Is it inappropriate that I only read Vocation Station threads for the few controversial ones that pop up once in a while? :P
[/quote]
Me too, except I always seem to be the one who has stepped in it.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='26 November 2009 - 09:06 PM' timestamp='1259291190' post='2009978']
Me too, except I always seem to be the one who has stepped in it.
[/quote]
I remember that one from a long time back where this guy turned out to be a fairly young kid with a high functioning form of autism, and his mother came onto his account and explained why he was saying what he said..... :P Fun thread.
I think he was offended by somebody talking about tampons.

Maria Faustina

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='26 November 2009 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1259291924' post='2009983']
I remember that one from a long time back where this guy turned out to be a fairly young kid with a high functioning form of autism, and his mother came onto his account and explained why he was saying what he said..... :P Fun thread.
I think he was offended by somebody talking about tampons.
[/quote]

haha i don't think anyone could forget about that incident...that guy was somehow able to offend almost everyone on the VS board lol. wasn't beatus his name or something like that?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='26 November 2009 - 07:50 PM' timestamp='1259290230' post='2009974']
[/quote]

:shock:

:ohno:

Scandal!

I read "The Nun's Story" before seeing the movie, and found it extremely inspiring. The movie necessarily was simplified, but the adaptation was very good, IMO. I particularly liked Reverend Mother Emmanuel's "the religious life must be lived not day by day but moment by moment" and when she told Sister Luke "you entered the convent to be a nun, not a nurse". Of course, in the 1920s, when Sister Luke entered the convent, most nurses in Catholic countries were nuns [which is why in many European countries, the term "Sister" is the correct title for a nurse]. Dr. Fortunati, for example, tells her that he's never worked with nurses who were not religious. It's hard to escape the impression that there was little or no period of discernment, and certainly the numbers entering were vastly larger than today; perhaps it is because of the phenomenon of so many finding they were unsuited for the life that the whole "aspirancy", "candidacy", etc. "pre-postulant" phases were initiated.

What also impressed me was Sister Luke's inflexibility, even one of her superiors tried to gently convince her that she must be able to adapt. It was almost as if she was determined to force God to give her the graces she needed. One doesn't have the sense that Sister Luke was a highly spiritual person, but then, she was in an active order and apparently all the nuns had to arrange their spiritual lives around the requirements of teaching and nursing. I wonder if this is a big problem in such orders. Obviously, in this regard, the contemplative life must be easier, since there are less outside intrusions. Do extern sisters in contemplative orders find it difficult to balance?

I don't know a great deal about Habets, except that she persevered for 17 years. I didn't know that she tried to return to the convent [in both the book and the movie the point is made, when she leaves, that she agrees "never to assume the habit of a religious" again, so this surprised me]. When Hulme met her, Habets was deeply depressed [in those days, being laicized was extremely rare, after taking solemn vows]. However, their friendship [I also am a bit sceptical that there was a lesbian relationship between them, since Habets was so devout] resulted in Hulme's conversion to Catholicism, so Habets must still have had a deep regard for the Church.

Whent the film was made, the Vatican was not particularly pleased, and in Belgium, when the director tried to find a convent for his actresses to visit, there was open hostility. What no one expected was that the very humanity of Sister Luke's struggles was inspirational. I've also seen the French film "Therese", in which St. Therese of Lisieux is made to seem angelic from the outset, and while interesting, it also seemed to me to be farther from the reality of a group of very human women trying to live a very specific form of live. Both Hulme and Habets stressed repeatedly that the book was a novel, but her former order apparently were very wounded. I think this a bit unfair. As Sister Luke said, "A nun is a disciplined person". Showing the discipline and explaining the ultimate goal to be obtained isn't negative [or maybe, to put it another way, a nun isn't born, she's formed]

Just my [non-Christian] two cents, looking in from the outside, as it were.

brightsadness

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='26 November 2009 - 07:50 PM' timestamp='1259290230' post='2009974']
Is it inappropriate that I only read Vocation Station threads for the few controversial ones that pop up once in a while? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/P.gif[/img]
[/quote]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blowkiss.gif[/img]

[quote name='brightsadness' date='28 November 2009 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1259442981' post='2010756']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blowkiss.gif[/img]
[/quote]
:grouphug:

dominicansoul

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='26 November 2009 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1259290230' post='2009974']
[/quote]
i spit my coke out and some came out of my nose when I read this...

here i am sitting here going down the thread as the posts seem to be getting into a somewhat intense argument on whether or not these two women were gay, and suddenly, you pop in and lighten everything up!

you are like the Rolaids in an upset stomach!

thanx Nihil!

Maria Faustina

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='29 November 2009 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1259543651' post='2011553']

you are like the Rolaids in an upset stomach!

[/quote]

gotta love that analogy lol....

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='29 November 2009 - 08:12 PM' timestamp='1259547135' post='2011586']
I love a good analogy. :)
[/quote]

Me too. Tastes fabulous with fava beans and a nice chianti.