An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dear Muslims Of Phatmass

Laudate_Dominum

Laudate_Dominum

What are you personal thoughts on President Obama? Do you agree with giving him the Nobel Peace Prize? I'm just curious to hear your perspective I'm not trying to start a debate exactly (although it seems likely to become a debate so I figured I'd make the thread here).

Thanks.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='10 December 2009 - 05:38 PM' timestamp='1260484705' post='2017910']
What are you personal thoughts on President Obama? Do you agree with giving him the Nobel Peace Prize? I'm just curious to hear your perspective I'm not trying to start a debate exactly (although it seems likely to become a debate so I figured I'd make the thread here).

Thanks.
[/quote]

I knew about Obama even before he became Senator. I volunteered for his friends and even entered myself in this college debate for him against someone representing the Republican senator nominee, but the nominee dropped out cause he basically beat his wife, so that was great.
During his presidential election, I pushed so hard for him to win and I believed in a lot of his promises.

Now that's all gone and I'm done with politics.

He has continued the war in Iraq. He has not only continued the war in Afghanistan but has ESCALATED IT.
He has continued the American policy of oppression against the Palestinians (which btw, the Catholic church is against) via continuing support of Israel and protecting them in the UN.

He has continued the operation of Guantanmo bay as well as many illegal presidential powers AND the patriot act.

And best of all, he has opened a new war in the sovereign nation of Pakistan killing droves of innocent civilians.

So no, I don't support him Many Muslims have picked up the breadcrumbs he has left behind like speaking at Azhar or hiring Daliha Moghaded or sending Valerie Jarret to speak at ISNA, but for those who have bigger picture in mind, he is just another Bush.

Btw, you should ask this question on MM if you want more answers.

Edited by extempers

[quote name='raihaan' date='10 December 2009 - 07:04 PM' timestamp='1260486285' post='2017937']
Rejecting the prize would have been rude...
[/quote]

There is a fine line between being rude and being totally awesome in a Dylan McCabe sort of way.

[quote name='extempers' date='10 December 2009 - 04:19 PM' timestamp='1260487146' post='2017945']
During his presidential election, I pushed so hard for him to win and I believed in a lot of his promises.

Now that's all gone and I'm done with politics.[/quote]
That happens a lot in politics. It was pretty clear to me months before the election that Obama's real interest was in expanding the size and powers of the federal government. Everything else was secondary.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='10 December 2009 - 07:01 PM' timestamp='1260489699' post='2017977']
That happens a lot in politics. It was pretty clear to me months before the election that Obama's real interest was in expanding the size and powers of the federal government. Everything else was secondary.
[/quote]
+1 if I had it.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='11 December 2009 - 09:38 AM' timestamp='1260484705' post='2017910']

Thanks.
[/quote]

What ext said + its really hard to make a joke at his expense. Without looking like a racist that is.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Pomak' date='10 December 2009 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1260498847' post='2018059']
What ext said + its really hard to make a joke at his expense. Without looking like a racist that is.
[/quote]
But why not? Every president in American history has had jokes made at his expense. Isn't it racist to refrain from making jokes at Obama's expense because he is African American? I don't mean racist jokes, of course, but jokes about his presidency etc...

[quote name='extempers' date='10 December 2009 - 06:19 PM' timestamp='1260487146' post='2017945']
[snip] but the nominee dropped out cause he basically beat his wife, so that was great.
[snip][/quote]

That was great? :blink:

As opposed to what - openly admitting to murder?

AS opposed to Obama winning the election by defeating a noteworthy opponent?

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='11 December 2009 - 01:38 PM' timestamp='1260499094' post='2018061']
But why not? Every president in American history has had jokes made at his expense. Isn't it racist to refrain from making jokes at Obama's expense because he is African American? I don't mean racist jokes, of course, but jokes about his presidency etc...
[/quote]

Well it is hard. Mainly because you can't do a lot of stuff. For example lots of people drew Bush II with monkey features. If anyone tried to do that with Obama there would be blood lol.

[img]http://www.silverstatechronicles.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/joker-obama.jpg[/img]

just making a point...