An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nfp With Pcos

Katya

Hey All,

Hope this is't TMI, but have some questions. I am 29 years old, recently engaged, and I am concerned about using NFP.

Several concerns...

1) I don't want to look at my mucous or my cervix... I'm grossed out by that. I don't wear tampons...! Why would I want to look at my cervix. Yuck... I'm not afraid of sex, so that's not a good comparison. I have been chaste with my fiance since we began dating 2 years ago. However, before I met him, I was a fallen-away Catholic and was not a virgin. I have had sex before, and so that doesn't disgust me... but the thought of me looking at my mucous and touching my cervix or whatever is gross to me.

2) I have PCOS... won't that play a role in NFP? Won't it be next to impossible to figure things out?

3) No worries... don't plan to use contraception. I'm just sickened by the thought of NFP. I'm a private woman. I don't want a teacher reviewing my charts. I just don't like it at all.

4) I don't want 40 kids running around per se.... any alternatives?

THOUGHTS?

HELP!

With PCOS, you are probably going to have more trouble getting pregnant than the other way around. There are different nfp methods. Some you can do online, and are less invasive.

care to expand on those methods?

I am required by my marriage prep to take a NFP course but it can be any method of NFP... any suggestions of methods i should look into?

Thanks!

KAT

[quote name='CatherineM' date='13 December 2009 - 03:30 PM' timestamp='1260736255' post='2019755']
With PCOS, you are probably going to have more trouble getting pregnant than the other way around. There are different nfp methods. Some you can do online, and are less invasive.
[/quote]

Archaeology cat

Hi. Billings Ovulation Method instructor here. :) With Billings, you don't have to look at anything or touch anything if you don't want (blind women successfully use Billings) -(putting the next bit in spoiler tags in case it's TMI [spoiler]it's all about recognising the sensation of the mucus, much in the way you realise when your period has started by the feel of it. [/spoiler] It is possible to chart with the BOM if you have PCOS. There's a little [url="http://woomb.org/omrrca/vigil/fertilityDisorders2.html#adrenal"]blurb[/url] about it here. I definitely recommend getting an instructor, which can be done online [url="http://woomb.org/bom/teaching/learningBOM.html"]here[/url] or [url="http://www.nfpcharting.com/"]here[/url], or feel free to message me. If you want an in-person instructor, I can help you find one in your area if possible, bearing in mind that there isn't one in every area, unfortunately.

I wish you the best. :)

Edited by Archaeology cat

Archaelogy Cat -- Thanks so much!!!!

Tiny Therese and Sacred Music Man -- Not to be rude, but joking about my medical condition is a little inappropriate. I expected more out of a Catholic website.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='14 December 2009 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1260836915' post='2020710']
Yeah. I saw tacos, so very tasty and good for you,, too for some reason. Lawl.
[/quote]

Archaeology cat

Glad to help. And I wish you the best.

Also, I doubt Tiny Therese & SMM were meaning to belittle your medical condition. There are often times when people on here talk about taco[i][/i]s (and the fil[i][/i]ter automatically adds the "so very tasty and good for you" after the word tac[i][/i]os), so that's likely why they thought that had been written at first instead of reading it as PCOS. :)

Edited by Archaeology cat

My wife has PCOS (hers is rather mild at this point from what I understand), but we're checking mucous. Yup. Mucous. It's not that bad after you get over the yuck factor. I've felt like we've gotten enough info from our NFP practice (sympto-thermal) that we're confident when she's fertile and not fertile.

honestly, its going to be very hard to concieve with pcos. unless your pcos is very mild, its going to be very hard to concieve. so here is my adivce... don't use nfp right now. after you hit 30 and if your pcos is mild to severe your chances for concieving start to drop. best advice is don't wait until after 30 to start trying. if you wait to long with moderate to severe pcos you could end up missing your window.

if your disgusted by checking your mucos then have your husband do it. any husband who refuses to do that for thier wife is not worth their salt as a husband. also you don't have to talk about nfp with a teacher if you don't want to. you really only need to talk about it with your doctor and doctors know all about mucos and stuff and dont get disgusted. trust me, us in the medical field have seen it and heard it all before.

even without pcos and always trying to concieve the probability of having even 20 children is very very very low. women are only fertile a "FEW" days a month. although like I said, with pcos its going to be hard to convieve even one, let alone 40.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='havok579257' date='15 December 2009 - 07:16 PM' timestamp='1260922570' post='2021503']
honestly, its going to be very hard to concieve with pcos. unless your pcos is very mild, its going to be very hard to concieve. so here is my adivce... don't use nfp right now.
[/quote]

NFP could assist her in conceiving a child. Telling her not to use NFP will not help her if what she is trying to do is conceive a child. NFP is very helpful for couples who have fertility problems. It is not used for the purpose of just avoiding pregnancy. I know many couple who suffer from PCOS or Endometriosis, both make conception difficult, who have used NFP in order to conceive.

[quote name='Raphael' date='15 December 2009 - 07:33 PM' timestamp='1260923601' post='2021513']
NFP could assist her in conceiving a child. Telling her not to use NFP will not help her if what she is trying to do is conceive a child. NFP is very helpful for couples who have fertility problems. It is not used for the purpose of just avoiding pregnancy. I know many couple who suffer from PCOS or Endometriosis, both make conception difficult, who have used NFP in order to conceive.
[/quote]

my bad, i meant don't use nfp as a way to space children since when we talk about nfp on these boards the majority of the time its talked about as being used as a way to space births, not to get pregnant. i simply ment, to try and concieve now instead of later due to pcos and how hard it is to concieve. (i know from personal experience)

Edited by havok579257

IcePrincessKRS

I would recommend reading [i]Fertility, Cycles & Nutrition[/i] by Marilyn Shannon. Make sure you get the newest edition, there have been some updates which include more information about PCOS. I hate to have to echo what the others have said but PCOS will very likely make conception difficult. I have a sister in law who has PCOS. They had a baby right after getting married and then were unable to conceive again for another nine years (they just had their second child this year).

Fertility test strips such as the ones on this site http://www.saveontests.com/ may be a useful tool in determining whether or not you're fertile when you are charting. I wouldn't rely solely on them (especially if you were trying to avoid pregnancy) but I think in conjunction with regular charting they are a useful tool.

I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to offend anybody either. :sadder: I'm just known for being a silly goofball. That's what I thought that it said and thought it was amusing to bring up. I suppose I should just stick to the lameboard when it comes to jokes.

And I know what its like to have someone say something offensive about a medical condition that you have. In my case however it wasn't using silliness, but making ignorant assumptions about those who contract it. I have depression and was once very hurt at what some people said in my Bible study last month. I've never had anyone crack a joke or point out a goofy comment about my illness before though so I cannot completely sympathize in this case..

:flowers:

Edited by tinytherese