Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is cussing appropriate?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I hear so many conflicting ideas on this. What do ya'll say?

Posted

I put "no", even though I probably should have put "depends". Every time I do it, it is out of anger, pure and simple. My wife does it infrequently, she usually does it out of surprise instead of anger. My big fear about it is that someone else might pick up my bad habit. I have been know to ask people to watch their language around kids in public before too.

Posted

I agree with thike!

Mrs. Bro. Adam
Posted

Here's a question I've always asked myself.


Are the words I'm saying appropiate enough to say in front of children? Or a Pastor, priest, or someone of that stature?

The answer is no, and i fiugre, if it's not appropiate to say it around them, then it is not appropiate at all. Period.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

However, when you are running thru the hall, and break your foot on a 35lb weight, you really do not stop to consider WHAT you are screaming. :skitzo:

Posted

I said no, even though I am guilty of it many times.There is always a better word or phrase you can say.

popestpiusx
Posted

Cussing is bad. But I am guilty of it, I must admit it. (Mea Culpa). I do think though that there are rare situations where a small intensifier is ok. Rhett Butler comes to mind.

Posted

I cuss unfortunately, most of the time it's out of anger or frusteration. But I guess it depends what the definition of a cuss word is, I don't consider [b]"carp"[/b] a cuss word.

Theologian in Training
Posted

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' date='Apr 8 2004, 08:49 AM'] Here's a question I've always asked myself.


Are the words I'm saying appropiate enough to say in front of children? Or a Pastor, priest, or someone of that stature?

The answer is no, and i fiugre, if it's not appropiate to say it around them, then it is not appropiate at all. Period. [/quote]
Indeed. Or to take it a bit further, in front of the Saints, angels, Mary, or even God Himself?

At the same time, you have to remember that we, in a sense, set the precedence as to what is cussing and what is not. Culturally we accept some words and view others as pure filth. I guess the overarching question is, what makes one word bad and another perfectly acceptable? Also, in dealing with this issue, what about the words that are simple words but could contain double meanings or even worse, double entendre?

Further, since our entire existence is founded upon our ability to communicate in words, and we defame those words, how does that effect the true Word, the same Word that became flesh?

It is an interesting avenue to explore.

God Bless

Lounge Daddy
Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Apr 8 2004, 07:59 AM'] However, when you are running thru the hall, and break your foot on a 35lb weight, you really do not stop to consider WHAT you are screaming. :skitzo: [/quote]
[font="Courier[b]"]...and break your foot on a 35lb weight... in front of Mary and Jesus?[/b]
Ya, even though one is inclined to cuss (and I am known to swear at times) it doesn't make it right.
I think bad habbits come natural - but that does not make them "good habbits."[/font]

popestpiusx
Posted

LD, I don't think she was saying that it is a good thing, just that at times it is not completely voluntary (and therefore less sinfull or even not at all). Like when I get up in the middle of the night and attempt to walk to the bathroom in the dark and step on a toy car or a lego. Oh yea, I cuss. Mea Culpa. It is usually accompanied by a mean thought or word about my kids. Voluntary? Not so much. Sometimes just a little.

Posted

I never cuss unless it is something like Holy Buckets! I am not sure for that counts. I do slip sometimes, like the time a hockey puck hit me in my privite area in gym without a cup. It wasn't something I intended to do, it just sliped.

Posted

there are so many words in our language so there are many other words to say besides cuss words

Posted

I think cussing is a vice. I think it is a venial sin. I do not think it is the end of the world.

Would we cuss in front of Christ? I think people probably did. Remember, Christ was a human presence in life. He hung out with fisherman. Has anyone ever been around dock workers and fisherman? Certainly its an imperfection. Does Christ freak out and ban you to hell for it?

Oh the Humanity! Or the lack of it, amongst some of us.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...