An Old School Catholic Message Board

Here We Go Again, Some Jewish Groups Angry With Pope

Skinzo

Anger as Pius moves closer to sainthood
One month before his first synagogue visit, Pope Benedict advances the case of his 'silent' predecessor

By Robert Mickens in Rome
Monday, 21 December 2009

A leading rabbi accused Pope Benedict XVI of "insensitivity" towards Jews yesterday after the head of the Catholic Church moved his controversial World War II-era predecessor Pope Pius XII a step closer to sainthood.

Pius XII, who served from 1939 to 1958, is regarded by conservative Catholics as one of the greatest of modern popes. But his papacy was also controversial because of his failure to make any protest as millions of Jews were taken to Nazi gas chambers. His supporters claim that silence was necessary for the protection of Catholics around Europe. But the Vatican has infuriated critics by failing to open secret archives relating to his papacy before moving him closer to canonisation.

"This papacy has excelled in diplomatic insensitivity," said Rabbi David Rosen, a member of the Chief Rabbinate of Israel and president of the International Jewish Committee on Interreligious Consultations. "It has excelled at a lack of consultation and consideration for the ramifications of its actions.....

"...Iris Rosenberg, a spokesman for the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem, added her voice to the growing chorus of Jewish anger.

"Our understanding was that ... the Church was going to wait to take further steps until the relevant Vatican archives were opened, allowing scholars to clarify this controversial period in Church history and Pius's position during the Holocaust," she said. The head of archives, Bishop Sergio Pagano, told reporters last July that it was likely to take another five or six years before the materials could be made accessible to scholars.

"It is regrettable that the Vatican has chosen to act before all the relevant documents are available to researchers," Ms Rosenberg said.

The full article is here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/anger-as-pius-moves-closer-to-sainthood-1846360.html

It has been my understanding that the process for Pius XII was suspended in 2007 so that all relevant documents could be reviewed. Reviewed that is, by Vatican authorities. That review is over now, so I think this is timely and overdue. I don't think this is something outside scholars should pass judgment on, though I expect in the long run they will find Benedict's decision was appropriate.

S.

Scholars don't get a say. If they want a say, let them get ordained and work their way to a position that has some say. Otherwise quit whining or get to killing us.

I for one, am very happy that our good pope is nearer tobeing recongnized a saint. I would emphasize however that his saintliness is in no way dependant on the Church's decision to proclaim him a saint.

If he is a saint, he is a saint already regardless of what people on earth believe or say. This is ultimately god's own decision, and His decision alone. Thank God for that...

"We share in the grief of humanity. When fearful martyrdom came to our people in the decade of Nazi terror, the voice of the pope was raised for its victims. The life of our times was enriched by a voice speaking out about great moral truths above the tumult of daily conflict. We mourn a great servant of peace." - Israeli (not yet) Prime Minister Golda Meir, 1958.

Edited by BG45

King's Rook's Pawn

There is so much evidence against this that it's mind-boggling that it continues. I think demonstrates that the mainstream media and these activist groups don't really care about the truth, only their agenda.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='21 December 2009 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1261429207' post='2024115']
It infuriates me that members of other religions think they should have a say in internal affairs in the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

it is a common arrogance that many believe they know better than the Church and Her servants.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Skinzo' date='21 December 2009 - 01:30 PM' timestamp='1261416652' post='2024053']
Anger as Pius moves closer to sainthood
One month before his first synagogue visit, Pope Benedict advances the case of his 'silent' predecessor

By Robert Mickens in Rome
Monday, 21 December 2009

A leading rabbi accused Pope Benedict XVI of "insensitivity" towards Jews yesterday after the head of the Catholic Church moved his controversial World War II-era predecessor Pope Pius XII a step closer to sainthood.

"It is regrettable that the Vatican has chosen to act before all the relevant documents are available to researchers," Ms Rosenberg said.

[/quote]

Its also regrettable that the rabbi opened his mouth and stuck his foot in it, but it happens.

dominicansoul

the protests are probably stemming, not from any justifiable complaint, but pure hatred of Our Church. There is plenty of evidence that supports Pope Pius XII's stance against the Nazis and what he knew of the Holocaust. There is also plenty of evidence of what happened when anyone preached against the Third Reich during that time.

The jews got angry when Pope John Paul II canonized St. Teresa Benedicta. They became angry when Pope John Paul II canonized Saint Maximilian Kolbe. Anything that has to do with the Holocaust that doesn't somehow glorify the jewish peoples is going to receive complaints...

in regards to Pope Pius XII...he's being judged harshly because he was Pope...I'd like to know what the leading Rabbi's were saying about Hitler and the Holocaust during that time...did any of them speak out??? People tend to judge based on what we know from our standpoint...no one really knows what they lived through and what they had to deal with during that awful time in history...

Edited by dominicansoul

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='22 December 2009 - 11:21 AM' timestamp='1261498860' post='2024398'] Anything that has to do with the Holocaust that doesn't somehow glorify the jewish peoples is going to receive complaints...
[/quote]
Good insight there.
Seriously...it's like they think they were the only ones persecuted.

dominicansoul

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='22 December 2009 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1261508438' post='2024498']
I care more about the good rabbi's conversion than I do his opinion about Pope Pius XII.
[/quote]
Wouldn't it be awesome if the rabbi was converted through the intercession of Pope Pius XII?! I would love to see that meeting in Heaven...