ThePenciledOne Posted December 24, 2009 Posted December 24, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='24 December 2009 - 01:26 AM' timestamp='1261632363' post='2025435'] If I didn't preface it with "in my opinion", then I apologize. I tend to make hasty assumptions that we're all mature enough to handle it now and again. [/quote] I know that, don't patronize me with "maturity". When someone states that it is their favorite song, do you so readily tread upon it? You already stated earlier in this thread that you did not like the song, that is fine. I then later stated that this song is my favorite Christmas song, which a few posts later call it asinine. I understand that is your opinion, but as a Catholic did you really have to go any further than merely saying that you disliked the song? Please double check yourself and get rid of this double standard that you apparently have.
Resurrexi Posted December 24, 2009 Posted December 24, 2009 [quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='24 December 2009 - 12:41 AM' timestamp='1261633300' post='2025448'] I know that, don't patronize me with "maturity". When someone states that it is their favorite song, do you so readily tread upon it? You already stated earlier in this thread that you did not like the song, that is fine. I then later stated that this song is my favorite Christmas song, which a few posts later call it asinine. I understand that is your opinion, but as a Catholic did you really have to go any further than merely saying that you disliked the song? Please double check yourself and get rid of this double standard that you apparently have. [/quote] [img]http://funnyfreepics.com/images/chill_pill.jpg[/img]
ThePenciledOne Posted December 24, 2009 Posted December 24, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='24 December 2009 - 01:43 AM' timestamp='1261633420' post='2025450'] [img]http://funnyfreepics.com/images/chill_pill.jpg[/img] [/quote] I stay away from drugs thank you. It's Christmas Eve, I am fine.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted December 24, 2009 Posted December 24, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='24 December 2009 - 12:37 AM' timestamp='1261633026' post='2025445'] It seems to me that the text is not ambiguous. [/quote] Why not? The redemptive act of Christ had not yet been accomplished objectively. While Mary had already been delivered from sin, the cause of her deliverance had not yet been accomplished. Sure, it's not the best nuanced statement, since it causes a reasonable and understandable confusion, but I just can't see how a person can say that every reasonable interpretation of the lyrics is heretical. That said, I'm not a fan of the song.
Nihil Obstat Posted December 24, 2009 Posted December 24, 2009 [quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='23 December 2009 - 11:41 PM' timestamp='1261633300' post='2025448'] I know that, don't patronize me with "maturity". When someone states that it is their favorite song, do you so readily tread upon it? You already stated earlier in this thread that you did not like the song, that is fine. I then later stated that this song is my favorite Christmas song, which a few posts later call it asinine. I understand that is your opinion, but as a Catholic did you really have to go any further than merely saying that you disliked the song? Please double check yourself and get rid of this double standard that you apparently have. [/quote] I certainly can say further than just disliking the song. If I dislike something enough, then I'll say so. I don't exactly know why you think I should pretend to like something more just because you do. Interestingly enough, most people dislike my list of, say, top twenty favourite songs even more than I dislike Mary Did You Know. If I were to be personally offended every time I got that, I'd be in a constant state of hysteria.
ThePenciledOne Posted December 24, 2009 Posted December 24, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='24 December 2009 - 01:48 AM' timestamp='1261633730' post='2025455'] I certainly can say further than just disliking the song. If I dislike something enough, then I'll say so. I don't exactly know why you think I should pretend to like something more just because you do. [/quote] I did not ask you to 'like it more'. You dislike it, I understand that, but if you are willing to walk over another's feelings like that and think it will not offend them then where have you been? It is not a question of maturity or any of the sort, it is the question of how to respect a person's opinion. You stated yours, I stated mine thats it. If you go further than so will I, it as simple as that. That may not seem very Christian, but then if you do not consider the other's feelings that you hurt than that is not Christian either.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now