Fidei Defensor Posted December 27, 2009 Posted December 27, 2009 So I finally worked up the courage to start taking my zoloft. It was prescribed a while back but I didn't want to take it so my doctor let me wait. I was just curious if anyone else has taken it and how long it took before the nausea went away. I'm on my second day and I feel like i'm always on the verge of needing to throw up.
CatherineM Posted December 27, 2009 Posted December 27, 2009 I haven't taken it, by my former roommate did. I think she dealt with nausea and dizziness for about a week.
Lil Red Posted December 27, 2009 Posted December 27, 2009 [quote name='fidei defensor' date='27 December 2009 - 11:25 AM' timestamp='1261938336' post='2026562'] So I finally worked up the courage to start taking my zoloft. It was prescribed a while back but I didn't want to take it so my doctor let me wait. I was just curious if anyone else has taken it and how long it took before thE nausea went away. I'm on my second day and I feel like i'm always on the verge of needing to throw up. [/quote] +JMJ+ that really stinks! i'll say a prayer for you!
Ash Wednesday Posted December 27, 2009 Posted December 27, 2009 It will pass, I think it took me a few days for the nausea to pass, though it might vary from person to person. It's just bad when you first take it.
Fidei Defensor Posted December 27, 2009 Author Posted December 27, 2009 Thanks for the responses. I'm feeling a little better now, but definitely could be better.
Dave Posted December 28, 2009 Posted December 28, 2009 (edited) I take Zoloft. It never made me nauseated, though. It just made me drowsy a lot at first. Edited December 28, 2009 by Dave
add Posted December 28, 2009 Posted December 28, 2009 be careful, don't drink booze at the same time as the zoloft, it could vary dangerous.
CatherineM Posted December 29, 2009 Posted December 29, 2009 There are lots of other anti-depressants if this one doesn't work for you. I take one for my PTSD called Cipralex. It's the only one that doesn't cause weight gain that has been shown to help with PTSD symptoms.
Fidei Defensor Posted December 29, 2009 Author Posted December 29, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' date='28 December 2009 - 06:36 PM' timestamp='1262046991' post='2027009'] There are lots of other anti-depressants if this one doesn't work for you. I take one for my PTSD called Cipralex. It's the only one that doesn't cause weight gain that has been shown to help with PTSD symptoms. [/quote] Yeah. I'm giving it some time to see how it goes. I'm feeling better now than earlier. I'm going to have to switch to taking it at night, though, because it's making me so tired in the afternoon! We'll see how it goes. I'm just happy I'm even trying it.
Nunsense Posted December 29, 2009 Posted December 29, 2009 [quote name='fidei defensor' date='29 December 2009 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1262047235' post='2027010'] Yeah. I'm giving it some time to see how it goes. I'm feeling better now than earlier. I'm going to have to switch to taking it at night, though, because it's making me so tired in the afternoon! We'll see how it goes. I'm just happy I'm even trying it. [/quote] You could ask you doctor about taking an anti-nausea medication while you are feeling this way. some people get other symptoms like gastric reflux or high blood pressure from anti-depressants, and there is usually something that can be taken to help with these side effects, but get medical advice first. I will keep you in my prayers.
Mark of the Cross Posted December 29, 2009 Posted December 29, 2009 (edited) [quote name='fidei defensor' date='28 December 2009 - 05:25 AM' timestamp='1261938336' post='2026562'] So I finally worked up the courage to start taking my zoloft. It was prescribed a while back but I didn't want to take it so my doctor let me wait. I was just curious if anyone else has taken it and how long it took before the nausea went away. I'm on my second day and I feel like i'm always on the verge of needing to throw up. [/quote] I'm taking Efexor which at first made me so nauseous that I had to stop. But I overcame the problem by breaking open the capsules and taking small does, gradually building up to the full dose. Expect some scary side effects from these AD's but they usually wear off after a short time. I don't want to scare you but I had the problem of 'poopout' with Paxil after 10 or so years, I then had problems of it causing an anxiety symptom while still preventing some others. There seems to be 2 stages of withdrawal with re-uptake inhibitors. I went through some horrible withdrawal from Paxil until I learnt to withdraw over at least 3 months. Later on when I tried getting off AD's altogether I found that there is a long term withdrawal from reuptake inhibitors in general. Meaning that your body becomes accustomed to having them in the system and it could take along time to readjust maybe never. My Dr suggests that I need to be on some AD's permanently, so I am taking his advice for the present. I would recommend that people consider if they really need these things or take them for short time spans only and withdraw slowly. PS Every bodies experience can be different. I have described mine, but always follow a professionals advice. However I must stress to always withdraw slowly even changing from one AD to another. My Dr was not aware of the extreme withdrawal symptoms and many think you can quickly change from one to another which you can't, unless you like pain of the kind you've never experienced before. Peace be with you I will pray for you. Edited December 29, 2009 by Mark of the Cross
Fidei Defensor Posted December 29, 2009 Author Posted December 29, 2009 Feeling pretty good today. Slightly sick this morning, but it's resolved itself.
Ash Wednesday Posted December 29, 2009 Posted December 29, 2009 Yes, you should always take Zoloft at night! Glad you are starting to feel better.
Fidei Defensor Posted December 29, 2009 Author Posted December 29, 2009 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='29 December 2009 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1262114527' post='2027259'] Yes, you should always take Zoloft at night! Glad you are starting to feel better. [/quote] The only reason I started with the morning was because I sometimes have anxiety about medications and when I take them at night, I sometimes have panic attacks in the middle of the night because I'm afraid of what I took. But now that I'm getting used to it, I can switch to taking it at night and be okay with it.
Fidei Defensor Posted December 29, 2009 Author Posted December 29, 2009 I'm a little anxious, though, because I'm going to be raising the dose tonight. I started at 12.5 mg (which is NOTHING compared to therapeutic dose) and I'm going to be going up to 25mg.
Fidei Defensor Posted December 30, 2009 Author Posted December 30, 2009 Took my second dose tonight in order to double the dose. Feel kind of strange, in a good way. Slight nausea but it's not bothering me. I can tell that I'm getting some benefits already because I would be having a hard time, psychologically, with the nausea, usually. I hate being sick.
Mark of the Cross Posted December 30, 2009 Posted December 30, 2009 [quote name='fidei defensor' date='30 December 2009 - 04:35 PM' timestamp='1262151337' post='2027431'] Took my second dose tonight in order to double the dose. Feel kind of strange, in a good way. Slight nausea but it's not bothering me. I can tell that I'm getting some benefits already because I would be having a hard time, psychologically, with the nausea, usually. I hate being sick. [/quote] Expect some side effects, but don't be too alarmed they usually subside within a few weeks. It's good strategy increasing gradually to allow the system to adjust and see how they affect you. I had some uncharacteristic temper tantrums whenever starting a different AD.
rachael Posted December 30, 2009 Posted December 30, 2009 I took an anti-depressant for a while. It took a while for the side effects to go away, but they did go away for the most part. To help counteract them, try to get outside (even if it is gray and icky), eat good foods (less sugar and sodium; more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains) and try to exercise more (this probably helps the most). After a while it should improve your mood a bit and help lessen the side effects.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now