An Old School Catholic Message Board

29% Of Americans Say Religion ‘Out Of Date’

Lounge Daddy

I would actually expect a survey like this to show a larger number. So I was surprised. These kinds of surveys in Europe tend to show higher numbers of people finding traditional religion to be somehow outdated, don't they?

Anyway,[url="http://rawstory.com/2009/12/29-americans-religion-out-date/"]from the article[/url]:

[quote]A Gallup poll of Americans' attitudes towards religion released on Christmas Eve found significant recent increases in those responding either that they have no religious preference, that religion is not very important in their lives, or that they believe religion "is largely old-fashioned or out of date."

Only 78% of Americans now identify as Christian, while 22% describe their religious preference as either "other" or "none."[/quote]

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='27 December 2009 - 02:45 PM' timestamp='1261943104' post='2026581']
I would actually expect a survey like this to show a larger number. So I was surprised. These kinds of surveys in Europe tend to show higher numbers of people finding traditional religion to be somehow outdated, don't they?

Anyway,[url="http://rawstory.com/2009/12/29-americans-religion-out-date/"]from the article[/url]:
[/quote]

Well, do we give God a 71% of being real? In other news, 29% of people don't understand the consequences of religion being an olden time idea.

I think in America the fact that the evangelicals/fundamentalists and their enthusiasm are keeping serious Catholics from being complacent, and this competition is what is keeping religion alive in America.

Happy_Catholic

I was trying to explain to my brother that religion (Catholicism in particular) is not out of date, it simply doesn't need to change the foundations. Like the whole birth control thing. The Church should NEVER change to pander to the whims of an over sexed society.

I mean, gravity has been know for centuaries, that could be argued as out of date, but gravity isn't going to change.

Basically, the truth doesn't change. If people don't like the truth, well, excuse my french, bugger off then!

ThePenciledOne

Ok, so most of America 'identifies' themselves as Christian, yet how many actually fulfill that, and I am not merely speaking of sins. What I am referring is to the viewpoints that all Christians have and should have such as Pro-Life and etc.

well, didnt the new testament and Jesus "update" Christianity and change or void some stuf in the old testament? this implies to me, that at one point it was out of date.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='28 December 2009 - 01:08 AM' timestamp='1261980511' post='2026811']
well, didnt the new testament and Jesus "update" Christianity and change or void some stuf in the old testament? this implies to me, that at one point it was out of date.
[/quote]
New rule: Religion can be out of date, but only when God declares it so and changes it himself.
Otherwise, consider it valid and current.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='28 December 2009 - 01:35 AM' timestamp='1261982141' post='2026819']
100% of God says 29% of Americans are "out of touch with reality."

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

One hundred percent of nothing is still nothing :unsure:

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Hassan' date='28 December 2009 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1261985438' post='2026830']
One hundred percent of [s]nothing[/s] everything is still [s]nothing [/s] everything :saint:
[/quote]

Fixed it.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='28 December 2009 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1261981586' post='2026817']
New rule: Religion can be out of date, but only when God declares it so and changes it himself.
Otherwise, consider it valid and current.
[/quote]

And even then the old still had purpose because everything that happens suits Gods purpose.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='28 December 2009 - 05:46 AM' timestamp='1261997187' post='2026838']
Fixed it.
[/quote]

Pantheism?

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='28 December 2009 - 01:08 AM' timestamp='1261980511' post='2026811']
[/quote]
Before Christ, there was no Christianity.
Christ didn't "update" the Old Law, but fulfilled it, and instituted His New Law.

And incidentally, I think such polls are ultimately a waste of time. Truth is not determined by majority vote.
I think Catholics need to spend more time focusing on preaching Truth (whether it's popular or unpopular), and less time worrying about polls and trends.

Edited by Socrates