An Old School Catholic Message Board

Man-Ifesto

Lil Red

+JMJ+
[url="http://67.199.81.67/blog/?p=175"]link here[/url]
On sidewalks, buildings, in train stations nationwide, Dockers tells the male population of America “Face it, You’re a Man.” These bold words are part of their most recent “Wear the Pants” campaign, where they call upon men to stand up to embrace strength and masculinity. Read the words of their Man-ifesto:
[img]http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz29/acrouch123/Dockersad.jpg[/img]
In a post-feminist revolution world, it may seem counter-cultural to hear (or see) a message such as this one plastered conspicuously on every billboard. We find it surprisingly refreshing. Some feminists bemoan the “call of manhood” and wonder whether patriarchal norms are once again rearing their ugly heads, but we find no reason for concern. On the contrary, given its popularity already, Docker’s message could potentially launch a cultural trend where noble masculinity is once again esteemed, and viewed not as a threat, but as a valuable and enriching quality.

Jennifer Sey, Vice-president for Docker’s global marketing campaign, speaks candidly to Brandweek about the struggles that men face in today’s culture. Women now outnumber men in the work-force, and men are increasingly disillusioned and confused about what an authentic masculine role might look like. Through the “Wear the Pants” campaign, Jennifer hopes to breathe life back into a dying understanding of manhood:
[quote]Men have told us that they are expected to be more sensitive, to do more at home. They are confused about what it means to be a man today. This led us to the pants idea and essentially, the goal is to provide empathy and encouragement, but also a sense of humor and to help define the new modern idea of man, which includes sensitivity, chivalry, ambition, decisiveness, as well as empathy, so we can inspire today’s men to be men.
The feminist revolution did more than redefine the woman’s role in society – there has been a shift in understanding of how a man is expected to function and flourish. Qualities such as sensitivity, understanding, and good communication skills are lauded and encouraged, while chivalry, courage, and ambition are regarded as remnants of an oppressive patriarchal system.[/quote]
Kevin Kwasnik, grad student and contributing writer for Prolife Propatria, celebrates the Dockers statements with some equally thought-provoking assertions of his own:
[quote]“You know a tree by its fruit. Though humorous in tone, the Dockers Man-ifesto relays a nugget of profound truth: the indifference of men leads to the destruction of society, the foolishness of the youth, and the susceptibility of the weak. If our society is to flourish men need to step up and fill the gap. Men must rebuild the structural incontinence of their society, they must guide the foolhardy youth, and they must serve the weakest and most infirm of their brethren. Men, step up and produce good and holy fruit in a society that is starving for authentic manhood.”[/quote]
We sympathize with Kevin and would also like to echo the words of Leo Keliher, co-president for Harvard’s True Love Revolution: “Manhood really has been swept away in modern society, leaving many men no more mature than teenagers, just bigger and with more work skills. It’s time to bring back real men, confident leaders focused on service to women and children. Khakis are optional.”

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='02 January 2010 - 01:52 AM' timestamp='1262411539' post='2028453']
AWESOME. +1.

That makes me want to go buy Dockers stuff.
[/quote]

^^^^exactly

HisChildForever

[quote] The feminist revolution did more than redefine the woman’s role in society – there has been a shift in understanding of how a man is expected to function and flourish. Qualities such as sensitivity, understanding, and good communication skills are lauded and encouraged, while chivalry, courage, and ambition are regarded as remnants of an oppressive patriarchal system. [/quote]

These traits should not be restricted to a time period. Men of the past, men of the now, and men of the future should be all the above.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='02 January 2010 - 01:41 AM' timestamp='1262414499' post='2028479']
No real man would risk a zipper.
[/quote]

:unsure:

Happy_Catholic

I'm a feminist. Its taken me many a years to get to a point where I realise that real feminism isn't about being superior to men its about being equal, its about everyone being equal.

However, being equal doesn't mean we're the same. The brains of men and women are different, but that difference compliments. Two sides to the same coin. A man being strong and manly wearing his pants and carrying his lunchbox and his axe does not hurt a woman, nor does it hurt a child.

Men need to take back their place in society. Women need it. Children need it. Men need it.

I actually think the raise in domestic abuse over the years, especially the way it has become so vicious, is that some men can't figure out how to express their manly emotions and so beat on the nearest woman. If a man is denied his ability to be a man, then he's not going to be emotionally stable.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='02 January 2010 - 01:58 AM' timestamp='1262415522' post='2028493']
I actually think the raise in domestic abuse over the years, especially the way it has become so vicious, is that some men can't figure out how to express their manly emotions and so beat on the nearest woman. If a man is denied his ability to be a man, then he's not going to be emotionally stable.
[/quote]

Women are not the only ones who suffer from domestic abuse.

Happy_Catholic

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='02 January 2010 - 02:10 AM' timestamp='1262416232' post='2028500']
Women are not the only ones who suffer from domestic abuse.
[/quote]

You are correct. But women are over represented in the stats. There is also been a large spike in the events of domestic violence in same sex couples.

As for men who find themselves victims of domestic abuse, well, isn't that what this thread is about, men manning up? Any man worth his salt could defend himself, but society has chipped away at his soul and his purpose, allowing him to be a punching bag of an angry woman.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='02 January 2010 - 12:52 AM' timestamp='1262411539' post='2028453']
AWESOME. +1.

That makes me want to go buy Dockers stuff.
[/quote]

I don't know what Dockers stuff is but I think it is a very good idea!

HisChildForever

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='02 January 2010 - 02:41 AM' timestamp='1262418071' post='2028504']
You are correct. But women are over represented in the stats. There is also been a large spike in the events of domestic violence in same sex couples.

As for men who find themselves victims of domestic abuse, well, isn't that what this thread is about, men manning up? Any man worth his salt could defend himself, but society has chipped away at his soul and his purpose, allowing him to be a punching bag of an angry woman.
[/quote]

The men who suffer do not defend themselves because they are under the same psychological constraints as the women who suffer. As an aside, it is more likely for the women than the men to be under financial constraints as well. I would like to point out that a man who is physically abused by his wife is no less a man than a tough construction worker. Society has painted "ideals" of what both men and women should be. In reality these "ideals" are ludicrous and most of the time derogatory.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='02 January 2010 - 02:53 AM' timestamp='1262418789' post='2028506']
The men who suffer do not defend themselves because they are under the same psychological constraints as the women who suffer. As an aside, it is more likely for the women than the men to be under financial constraints as well. I would like to point out that a man who is physically abused by his wife is no less a man than a tough construction worker. Society has painted "ideals" of what both men and women should be. In reality these "ideals" are ludicrous and most of the time derogatory.
[/quote]

I'm sure everyone agrees with you here on the majority of what you said but I really don't think your last points about what you have trouble with are in line with what most of us mean. The main point and direction we are talking about is the [i]correct[/i] virtues of both genders which us Catholics have a duty to help instill and pass on. Not the negative ones you always speak of. I think this ad does a good job of encouraging some great things and well, however imperfect one may see it - its definitely something great to work with.

HisChildForever

[quote name='littleflower+JMJ' date='02 January 2010 - 03:17 AM' timestamp='1262420236' post='2028512']
I'm sure everyone agrees with you here on the majority of what you said but I really don't think your last points about what you have trouble with are in line with what most of us mean. The main point and direction we are talking about is the [i]correct[/i] virtues of both genders which us Catholics have a duty to help instill and pass on. Not the negative ones you always speak of. I think this ad does a good job of encouraging some great things and well, however imperfect one may see it - its definitely something great to work with.
[/quote]

I was not referring to the ad when I mentioned society and its "ideals" for men and women.