An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pseudepigraphical Works

Resurrexi

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laudate_Dominum

Have to refer to a specific case to make a determination but generally speaking my answer is no. There are many innocent reasons why works have been attributed to famous ppl.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='04 January 2010 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1262635081' post='2029556']
Have to refer to a specific case to make a determination but generally speaking my answer is no.
[/quote]

I agree.

I ran into a Protestant on CTF today who said that the author of the Protoevangelium of James was a liar, which I thought was whack.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='04 January 2010 - 03:00 PM' timestamp='1262635229' post='2029558']
I ran into a Protestant on CTF today who said that the author of the Protoevangelium of James was a liar, which I thought was whack.
[/quote]

Welcome to CTF.

King's Rook's Pawn

It's impossible to see into the heart of a writer from millennia ago and divine his true intents. All you have is the text.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Kings Rooks Pawn' date='04 January 2010 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1262638234' post='2029588']
It's impossible to see into the heart of a writer from millennia ago and divine his true intents. All you have is the text.
[/quote]
[spoiler][code]Amen, but I imagine there are specific cases that could be described as probably deception. For example, trying to legitimize dubious theological opinion by forging a letter of St. Augustine or something. If there is historical evidence that a particular document was a matter of deception I can see how it might be important to take note of that.[/code][/spoiler]

Lounge Daddy

I might do a poll asking "did you know that 'pseudepigraphical' is a word? If so, do you know what it means?"

Protestants call them 'pseudepigraphical,' but don't we call them 'apocryphal'? I believe that Protestants use the word 'pseudepigraphical' because they call the Deuterocanonical books 'apocryphal.'

[quote name='Seven77' date='06 January 2010 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1262814031' post='2031109']
Protestants call them 'pseudepigraphical,' but don't we call them 'apocryphal'? I believe that Protestants use the word 'pseudepigraphical' because they call the Deuterocanonical books 'apocryphal.'
[/quote]

A pseudepigrapical work is any work in which the claimed author is not the person who actually composed the text.

Edited by Resurrexi