An Old School Catholic Message Board

Psychological Health And Discerning

tinytherese

So I have a severe case of depression and rather recently I started to wonder if I'm called to the religious life again. (Still haven't found a spiritual director yet.) My case is situational and not chemical and through therapy and medication I should be able to get past the illness eventually. I started to look around some websites at communities that I might be interested in and I know that they are concerned about a history of psychological issues. Has anyone dealt with or know someone who has faced this issue when discerning? Would they look at your records from psychiatrists and therapists? I'm somewhat nervous that this will be a problem. I know that I still need time to heal and work on the family issues that caused this depression and that will take time. I'm not going to rush into visiting any communities at the moment or getting serious with any community right now, but want to later on. Its just something that's been on my mind. I really do think that eventually the illness will pass eventually.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='tinytherese' date='10 January 2010 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1263171386' post='2034208']
So I have a severe case of depression and rather recently I started to wonder if I'm called to the religious life again. (Still haven't found a spiritual director yet.) My case is situational and not chemical and through therapy and medication I should be able to get past the illness eventually. I started to look around some websites at communities that I might be interested in and I know that they are concerned about a history of psychological issues. Has anyone dealt with or know someone who has faced this issue when discerning? Would they look at your records from psychiatrists and therapists? I'm somewhat nervous that this will be a problem. I know that I still need time to heal and work on the family issues that caused this depression and that will take time. I'm not going to rush into visiting any communities at the moment or getting serious with any community right now, but want to later on. Its just something that's been on my mind. I really do think that eventually the illness will pass eventually.
[/quote]

When you apply to a community you will most likely have to sign a release form for them to look at your medical records (including your records from psychiatrists and therapists). You will fill out medical history forms (where you will be obliged to list these things, and you will have to take a psychological evaluation, which will most likely ask your history of psychological issues (if the psychologist administering the evaluation doesn't). And as part of the evaluation there will also most likely be a form that will narrow down if you are still having issues with either depression or anxiety. So, it will be brought up (this is something they do for all, not just those who have a history with it).

I believe there was someone else here that had this come up with her community she was discerning with. She had suffered from depression in the past, and the community wanted a year off medication before they would allow her to enter. It probably varies with the community.

Also, the fact that it is situational and not chemical may be something that will weigh in positively.

God will take care of everything, and if it is His will that you enter then all of this will take care of itself. We should just worry about doing his will, and not so much these things that might stand in the way, as He will move them if they are in the way. :grouphug:

It does vary from community to community. Some of them will not consider discerners with any history of mental illness - I have heard this with regard to Carmelites etc. But some communities have a much more progressive understanding of mental illness, especially depression, which could be called "the 21st century disease" since it is so prevalent! Check out the Sisters of Mercy of Alma.

AccountDeleted

Maybe you shouldn't be borrowing problems from the future? The Bible does tell us that sufficient to the day is the evil thereof. Just focus on getting well and growing spiritually in strength.

When it is time for you to start applying to communities, then will be time enough to deal with the problem, and circumstances then may be much different than they are now, especially how you feel and how you are able to relate to everything that has happened.

Remember that if this calling is from God, He will make all this possible for you. This is a good time to practice some trust in Him. Prayers for you. :pray:

[quote name='nunsense' date='10 January 2010 - 10:09 PM' timestamp='1263179355' post='2034330']
Maybe you shouldn't be borrowing problems from the future? The Bible does tell us that sufficient to the day is the evil thereof. Just focus on getting well and growing spiritually in strength.

When it is time for you to start applying to communities, then will be time enough to deal with the problem, and circumstances then may be much different than they are now, especially how you feel and how you are able to relate to everything that has happened.

Remember that if this calling is from God, He will make all this possible for you. This is a good time to practice some trust in Him. Prayers for you. :pray:
[/quote]

You're right. I've just been seeing listed on the websites of religious communities that you need to be in good psychological health and started to panic a little. "Oh great, now I'm a psycho!"

AccountDeleted

[quote name='tinytherese' date='12 January 2010 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1263241959' post='2034966']
You're right. I've just been seeing listed on the websites of religious communities that you need to be in good psychological health and started to panic a little. "Oh great, now I'm a psycho!"
[/quote]

Good psychological health doesn't mean that you have never had any emotional problems any more than good physical health means that you have never been sick! Stop worrying and just take of what is in front of you right now. According to legend, St Rita was picked up by God and put into her convent! :) Let Him do what He has to do and stop worrying so much!

[quote name='tinytherese' date='11 January 2010 - 02:32 PM' timestamp='1263241959' post='2034966']
[/quote]

You aren't a psycho, hunny. It is a concern because when you are alone with God, you ae also alone with yourself, and you need to have the emotional maturity to be able to handle that. There is no hiding from yourself when you are in the cloister. Continue to wrk through what you are working through with your therapist. The usual guidelines that I have seen at least for mens communities is to be drug free for at least a year. So if you are on antidepressants, you will need to be off them for at least a year before you can join.

I haeve read some of what you have shared about your depression and its causes here, and you are still in my prayers.

:hugs:
:love:
:monk: