An Old School Catholic Message Board

One Opinion About The Three Year Cycle

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='16 January 2010 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1263619924' post='2038217']
This Sunday I do too. :woot:
[/quote]

:woot:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='15 January 2010 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1263619924' post='2038217']
This Sunday I do too. :woot:

I'll bet priests could put together some wicked homilies if they had the opportunity to revisit the same passages so often.
[/quote]
+JMJ+
or as cappie pointed out, they could just recycle the same ones, over and over again.

[quote name='Lil Red' date='15 January 2010 - 11:43 PM' timestamp='1263620618' post='2038231']
+JMJ+
or as cappie pointed out, they could just recycle the same ones, over and over again.
[/quote]
Well where's the fun in that? :saint:

If I were a priest on a single year cycle, I'd try to make it just a bit more insightful every year. Although after a few years I'd probably run into problems with it being either too long or too hard to understand....... but I'd deal with it. :))

Tangentially related to lectoring as this topic is, I'd just like to say that the insertion of "Brothers and sisters" before every Pauline letter (at least in my parish) really gets me and seems needlessly inclusive. Why the preamble? And if the preamble, why not just say "Brethren?"

[quote name='Arpy' date='16 January 2010 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1263622094' post='2038262']
Tangentially related to lectoring as this topic is, I'd just like to say that the insertion of "Brothers and sisters" before every Pauline letter (at least in my parish) really gets me and seems needlessly inclusive. Why the preamble? And if the preamble, why not just say "Brethren?"
[/quote]
Can't say that I've ever noticed that before.

[quote name='Arpy' date='15 January 2010 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1263622094' post='2038262']
[/quote]
+JMJ+
well, at our parish, we have a reader who changes every masculine pronoun to just God/Lord, God's/Lord's, etc. makes me wanna puke. :rolleyes:

I have been doing the daily readings for some time now, and I feel like I'm always reading the same psalms and passages over and over again. It's good for memorization, but after a while, it starts to feel like, "Oh. This passage again."

Just being honest. ;) Am I alone here?

[quote name='MissyP89' date='15 January 2010 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1263623460' post='2038295']
I have been doing the daily readings for some time now, and I feel like I'm always reading the same psalms and passages over and over again. It's good for memorization, but after a while, it starts to feel like, "Oh. This passage again."

Just being honest. ;) Am I alone here?
[/quote]
+JMJ+
the daily readings (i thought) were on a two-year cycle?

anyway, you must not read the LOTH? :hehe: you'd get really tired of some psalms then! :)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='15 January 2010 - 10:09 PM' timestamp='1263622143' post='2038263']
Can't say that I've ever noticed that before.
[/quote]
It may be endemic to my archdiocese; I don't know.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='16 January 2010 - 02:15 AM' timestamp='1263626149' post='2038342']
I likes me the Last Gospel.
[/quote]

Verbum.