An Old School Catholic Message Board

Married Priests

Guest cathkidlookingforanswers

Guest cathkidlookingforanswers

I have always thought that Catholic Priests could not be married, however I hear from a friend not too long ago that they could be. I am wondering how this is? Thanks!

cantstopdancin9

Since there is a shortage of priests, then if a man is already married and he wants to become a priest, he is still allowed to become one. I'm pretty sure that's how it is, but if not someone correct me.

FaustinaVianney

I have not read anywhere that a married person can become a priest. A married person can become a deacon. I do believe that if a married priest from the Eastern Church converts then they can be a priest in the Roman rite even though he is married, but he is limited in what he can do.

Theologian in Training

Actually, in the Latin Rite no man can be married if he is an ordained priest, nor can he become a priest if he is already married. The only person that can be married is a deacon, and he must be married first before becoming a deacon.

In the Eastern Church, however, one can be a priest and can be married. However, the person must be married before he is to be ordained a priest. Also, he can never become a "bishop" (I cannot remember what they call them in the Eastern Rite).

God Bless

JMJ
4/9 - Good Friday

You could also be thinking of the extremely rare circumstance where a married pastor from a Protestant communion converts and finds God calling him to be a priest. He can't get married if his wife dies, but he's permitted to remain married to her. Pope John Paul II started allowing for this in the early 80s, I think. I personally know of one here in Minnesota (former Lutheran pastor), plus Canon Michael Cumbie, who works for St. Joseph's Communications (he's an Anglican-use priest).

ilovechrist

i don't remember how their traditions were formed, but i had heard of the Angelican priest that the Pope allowed to remain a priest.. its quite interesting, but whatever JPII teaches is infallible, and i'm cool with that :D

I belive the Ukranina Catholic which is in full communion with Rome has celibacy whereas like mentioned before the Ukranian Orthodox which is not in full communion, can allow married priests. However, the priest must deciede to marry first then become a priest...and someone asked earlier what the eastern rite bishops are called i think its a Metropolitan.

Here is one good way to look at it. You can not get married after being ordained. This even goes for Deacons. There is no marriage after ordination in any rite. IIRC this even includes the Eastern Orthodox Churches.

In the Latin Rite, a married man can not become a priest. There are, as noted a few exceptions where a married man was a Luthern or Anglican minister and converted. But I believe Rome has to approve each case and apporval is not always granted. There are some (if not all) Eastern Rite Catholic Churches that allow married men to become Priests.

As for Bishops, it is my understanding that they all have to be unmarried. In all Catholic Rites and in the Eastern Orthodox.

Edited by thicke

JMJ
4/10 - Holy Saturday

Yeah, a man in the Eastern churches who is already married may be ordained, but he may not remarry after ordination.

A man who is already ordained will never be able to get married because even the married ones agree to celibacy should their wife die.

A married bishop is almost absolutely unheard of in the entire Catholic Church.

iloveChrist, what JPII teaches [i]by virtue of his ministry as successor to St. Peter[/i] is infallible. everything else is trustworthy and will not lead us into blatant heresy, but it's not all infallible.

anyway, the Eastern Rites of the Catholic Church have always allowed married men to be ordained, Jesus Christ ordained married men, Paul is the first to mention a discipline of not marrying for the sake of devoting all your energy to God, and very early on (4th century, if i'm not mistaken) the Latin Rite made it the norm for the priesthood, that all priests devote all their energy to the work of God not distracted by a spouse. It is a very good discipline which has helped the Latin Rite to thrive through the years. while it is possible it could be loosed, that would be a horrid mistake. This discipline is to thank for saintly priests through the ages, this discipline has helped us to spread to all nations because we have people willing to give up earthly pleasures for the sake of the kingdom.

In the current Catholic Church a married bishop is unheard of, this is a discipline that stretches across the entire Catholic Church, and it is a good and holy discipline that should not be taken away. but we know that St. Peter was Bishop of Rome and was married, it is not an impossibility to have a married bishop. However, St. Peter was celibate after meeting Christ, for Jesus commanded him to leave his mother, father, wife, all-- for the sake of the kingdom. I do not believe it is even possible for a Bishop to be married but not celibate. However, the possibility exists although it would be unwise, that priests, a bishop or even the Pope could be a married man from before ordination. However, i do not believe it is possible for the Church to take away the requisite of celibacy for bishops/popes, for i believe that is unheard of in the 2000 years of the Catholic Church.

My priest is married. Actually what happened was he was Episcopal. When they convert they're allowed to stay married and a priest because they have ordinations as well and it wouldn't be fair for him to give up either. However, they must get permission and can never have been Catholic before (sorry guys, no loopholes. :)) He is an awesome priest! Actually, he runs our parish, but cannot do it alone because he is married (rules). That's why we have 3 more (one's retired) and one of which may also be married. I have yet to ask him, but he also was Episcopal.

Anyways, that's how some of them end up doing it. DFW has 6 in the area, more than just about all places in the US.

JMJ
4/11 - Easter Sunday

Dallas-Ft. Worth also has two or three strictly Anglican-use parishes too, doesn't it? I'd like to go to that sometime, but alas, I'm in the cold, dark tundra that is Minensota. :P

He is risen, alleluia!
He is truly risen, alleluia!