Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do You Practice So Devoutly


Recommended Posts

KeenanParkerII
Posted

Is it in order to attain salvation or because it is natural and right for us to do so? Neither is exclusive, but which plays on your mind more? A lot of what I've read in the Bible is about people yearning for salvation. I, personally, tend to practice because I consider it a natural, moral, gracious duty.. But I'm hoping that as my understanding grows I'll focus more on salvation.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus
Posted

I do in order to accept the salvation being offered to me. But I hope to grow into practicing devoutedly out of pure love of God.

Posted

I really like that part of the act of contrition that says we hate our sin not just because we fear Hell, but because we have offended God who is deserving of our love. It's like many first time criminals aren't focusing on the jail time they face, but rather on disappointing their moms.

Posted

I practice out of love for God, and like you mentioned, because it is my duty. He created me for Himself, after all. I practice to become pure and Christ-like as well.

KeenanParkerII
Posted

Goood points. I didn't put "out of love" up there, but I'm assuming that our daily duty is a labour of love. I'm not sure we would feel compelled to do so unless we loved God. Sadly, I don't feel that emotional passion of love every day, but I suppose consistency even under hardship is indicative of love. Every Sunday after mass, or every time I think of losing Jesus, that's when my love becomes revealed.

little_miss_late
Posted

Because I love God like my Father and I don't want to let my Father down.

Posted

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='23 January 2010 - 02:52 PM' timestamp='1264276376' post='2042930']
Goood points. I didn't put "out of love" up there, but I'm assuming that our daily duty is a labour of love. I'm not sure we would feel compelled to do so unless we loved God. Sadly, I don't feel that emotional passion of love every day, but I suppose consistency even under hardship is indicative of love. Every Sunday after mass, or every time I think of losing Jesus, that's when my love becomes revealed.
[/quote]

Love is more than a feeling, but action that we do inspite of what we feel. It can be a test of our love, like when we have times of spiritual dryness or a dark night of the soul.

Ephrem Augustine
Posted

I'm madly in love with God.

Posted

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='23 January 2010 - 11:54 AM' timestamp='1264272883' post='2042906']
Is it in order to attain salvation or [/quote]
yes
[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='23 January 2010 - 11:54 AM' timestamp='1264272883' post='2042906']because it is natural and right for us to do so? [/quote]
yes

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='23 January 2010 - 12:03 PM' timestamp='1264273390' post='2042910']
I do in order to accept the salvation being offered to me. But I hope to grow into practicing devoutedly out of pure love of God.
[/quote]
yes

[quote name='CatherineM' date='23 January 2010 - 12:18 PM' timestamp='1264274338' post='2042914']
I really like that part of the act of contrition that says we hate our sin not just because we fear Hell, but because we have offended God who is deserving of our love. It's like many first time criminals aren't focusing on the jail time they face, but rather on disappointing their moms.
[/quote]
yes

[quote name='Selah' date='23 January 2010 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1264274424' post='2042915']I practice to become pure and Christ-like as well.[/quote]
yes

[quote name='little_miss_late' date='23 January 2010 - 01:44 PM' timestamp='1264279489' post='2042971']
Because I love God like my Father and I don't want to let my Father down.
[/quote]
yes

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

We cannot be saved without the love of God, nor with the true love of God may we be damned. They are inseparable.

Posted

[quote]I really like that part of the act of contrition that says we hate our sin not just because we fear Hell, but because we have offended God who is deserving of our love. It's like many first time criminals aren't focusing on the jail time they face, but rather on disappointing their moms.[/quote]

I've always liked that line too. It's like you are telling God, "I fear hurting You more than I fear hell." Asking for God's forgiveness out of true repentance and love for Him, rather than fear of hell, is a huge step in spiritual maturity (it certainly was for me!) :saint:

Posted

I would say love for God is my main motivation. That and I want to get to know Him better. Also because when I practice my faith devoutly everything else in my life seems to go better as well. I don't think it's because the things that happen to me are any different, but because my attitude is different. When I put God first in my life, everything else is seen from that perspective.

Posted

Having come into Catholicism from a borderline once-saved always saved mentality, I've had to relearn the fear of hell. I'd been practicing mostly because I loved God, now I practice also in order to "work out my salvation."

Posted

[quote name='morostheos' date='23 January 2010 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1264295619' post='2043137']
I would say love for God is my main motivation. That and I want to get to know Him better. Also because when I practice my faith devoutly everything else in my life seems to go better as well. I don't think it's because the things that happen to me are any different, but because my attitude is different. When I put God first in my life, everything else is seen from that perspective.
[/quote]

How true, its all in how you look at something...

I guess it is because I was brought up in an irish catholic family and that is what I seen from my family and from the nuns I seen during my school days. It also has to do with I want to be a good example to my family, and any who may be watching. I also feel as if God is worth more than I could ever offer, so what I do, I do to the best of my ability, giving my best in my endeavors is the contractor in me coming out.

ed

Posted (edited)

Before I converted I was in a denomination that taught Once Saved, Always Saved to a great extent. I practice devoutly in the knowledge that teaching is in error, and in the knowledge that I am in love with the Trinity. I love the Father who gave me life, the Son who gave me His life, and the Holy Spirit that comforts and gives wisdom. All in all, it's as St. Bonaventure said in the Soul's Journey Into God, "There is no other path, bur through the burning love of the Crucified".

Edited by BG45
Posted
:love: I'm in love with God and can't imagine not wanting to be with Him as much as possible in this life, with the faith and hope that I will also one day be with Him in eternity as He really is. Not to practice devoutly would cause me great pain and heartache because of my longing for Him. When I go to Mass every day I am with Him in the Tabernacle, during the Mass at the consecration, receive Him during communion and give thanks to Him in adoration during Exposition afterwards. When I can't do so, it is almost unbearable. I think that my love for Him is just a tiny taste of how much He loves us and how much He longs and wants to be with us, and I can't imagine how painful it must be for Him that so many of His children are still estranged from Him, or unaware of His great love and the sacrifice He made through the Incarnation. The only thing that would make me happier than loving Him as much as I do, is if everyone loved Him as much as He deserves to be loved, which is impossible because He deserves so much more than we can offer, but oh what a beautiful prayer. :pray:
Archaeology cat
Posted

To paraphrase "to whom shall we go? You have the words of everlasting life". I'd say it's both out of love, and to work out my salvation.

brightsadness
Posted

Christ is the Healer, the church the hospital, our practice is the medicine he gives to make us whole/saved/one with Him.

Posted

[quote]I'm in love with God and can't imagine not wanting to be with Him as much as possible in this life,[/quote]

^^^ This. I love God and want to constantly be in His Presence.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...