An Old School Catholic Message Board

Q. Is It Fitting For Someone To Drink Beer?

cappie

[quote name='zunshynn' date='28 January 2010 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1264720439' post='2046715']
My nutrition professor says men should only drink two drinks and women should only drink one a day at most (a drink being 5 oz of wine, 12 oz beer, 10 oz winecooler, or 1.5 oz hard liquor)... more than that is seriously taxing on one's liver.
[/quote]
Well... livers adapt... or get shot. Some guys actually have oversized livers just to deal with alcohol.

lost_in_this_world

[quote name='Shana' date='28 January 2010 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1264708140' post='2046546']
In all serious, I'd appreciate some insight and guidelines in to drinking seeing as how I'll be 21 soon. If it is a sin to get drunk, what is the point of drinking alcohol if it's a sin to be affected by it? In other words is there a line you cross between pleasure/ enjoyment and sin?
[/quote]

well my philosophy is this...i'm not gonna drink just to get drunk and i think its important to watchign your drinking but also have a good time....i turned 21 over the summer and have been responsible but you do get out of hand and it happens. aka new years eve for me....but as long as your responsible i dont think its sinful...

[quote name='Shana' date='28 January 2010 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1264708140' post='2046546']
In all serious, I'd appreciate some insight and guidelines in to drinking seeing as how I'll be 21 soon. If it is a sin to get drunk, what is the point of drinking alcohol if it's a sin to be affected by it? In other words is there a line you cross between pleasure/ enjoyment and sin?
[/quote]

It is a sin to be drunk, of course, but "being drunk" is not the same thing as "being affected by alcohol." St. Thomas said one may "drink up to the point of hilarity." You will know that point once you've slowly come to it. It is then time to stop drinking.

Don't be a college student about drinking. Just be responsible. There is no such thing as being responsibly drunk. Remember that alcohol is not an end in itself, and that alcohol can be at a party, but don't consider the contents of a bottle to [i]be[/i] the party.

~Sternhauser

On a side note, I find it interesting how drunkenness and the ills associated with it are treated laughingly in most country songs, but you would seldom find any such singers (or those who listen to such singers) joking about losing one's reason by the use of another drug: marijuana. Strange how someone can legally be hammered in a public place, and can have twenty 1-gallon jugs of whiskey in your car, but you're slapped with a criminal offense for a joint, and charged with a felony for possessing a few ounces. Pure doublethink.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser