An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sspx Vandelizes Fssp Church

zunshynn

goldenchild17

[quote name='zunshynn' date='29 January 2010 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1264787593' post='2047286']
I think it's true... I know the pastors of the blogger's parish, and I suspect he heard it announced at Mass... His parish is relatively close to Mexico, I think. I've followed his blog for a while, and he's not really the type to publish hearsay without having heard it from a trustworthy source. Vandalism doesn't often make it into the news.
[/quote]

Not mainstream news, but I know a few sources that would take this and run with it. I'm not going to say it didn't happen, just that I'm going to be skeptical until it starts circulating some other sources.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='29 January 2010 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1264790544' post='2047328']
*Jason, the [url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/b16SummorumPontificum.htm"]pope[/url] likes Liturgical Tradition, too!*

edit: As Raphael said, the SSPX's great failure is pride, not liturgy.
[/quote]
woah!! GR8 deflection!!!!

where's the pope's encyclical on the glories of vandalism?

If i were to be so bold, I would say vandalism would be another failure...

Just to be clear it's incorrect to say that the SSPX did this. The Society is a group of priests, the people that attend their Mass are just Catholics. It is very sad this happened though.

KnightofChrist

While it's easy to jump on the hate train with the majority, where's the proof that this actually happened? Some guy with a blog who knows some unnamed person in Mexico?

And where in Mexico? What city? What are the names of the SSPX priests, and FSSP priests? What is the name of the parish that was attacked?

This is basic info which should be provided before I jump on the blame game train.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='29 January 2010 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1264826577' post='2047594']
While it's easy to jump on the hate train with the majority, where's the proof that this actually happened? Some guy with a blog who knows some unnamed person in Mexico?

And where in Mexico? What city? What are the names of the SSPX priests, and FSSP priests? What is the name of the parish that was attacked?

This is basic info which should be provided before I jump on the blame game train.
[/quote]

It said in the second sentence that it's the FSSP Chapel of St. Peter the Apostle in Guadalajara, Mexico. It's not a news article, so just because he did not have all of the names of people involved does not somehow make it an irresponsible thing to write.

KnightofChrist

Apparently the city was Guadalajara, I have found the Guadalajara FSSP website and emailed them to ask if this is true. Also there is nothing of the Guadalajara FSSP website about this attack.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='zunshynn' date='29 January 2010 - 11:49 PM' timestamp='1264826951' post='2047595']
It said in the second sentence that it's the FSSP Chapel of St. Peter the Apostle in Guadalajara, Mexico. It's not a news article, so just because he did not have all of the names of people involved does not somehow make it an irresponsible thing to write.
[/quote]

Yes thank you I missed that when I first read it, and saw it after I posted. Still there should be some names, there are none. And again the Guadalajara FSSP has nothing about it on their website.

Here is the contact info I found for the FSSP in Mexico from http://www.fssp.org/en/coordonnees.htm

México

Capellanía de San Pedro (diocese: Guadalajara)
Tapalpa 56
Vallarta Poniente
44110 Guadalajara, Jalisco
Tel. +52 33 3647 8241

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='29 January 2010 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1264797843' post='2047404']
woah!! GR8 deflection!!!!

where's the pope's encyclical on the glories of vandalism?

If i were to be so bold, I would say vandalism would be another failure...
[/quote]

No deflection, I was just noting that even though you blamed the "tradies", Tradition had nothing to do with the vandalism. Pride did.

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='30 January 2010 - 07:51 AM' timestamp='1264855906' post='2047682']
oh, how we love to split hairs.

lol
[/quote]

How many Catholics do you know that attend Mass offered by an SSPX priest? I really cannot think of any that would desecrate a traditional catholic church. I'd believe that there was a lot of bad communication and a group of laity went to protest (what they thought was) ecumenism, but not so ready to believe that any of them actually vandalized the chapel.

At any rate to say that the SSPX take their position out of pride is incorrect. Anyone who says that really doesn't know how much stigma the priests and faithful have suffered for their stance. It's motivated by a lot of things, but pride is definitely not one of them.

A quote from the blog that struck me was "we started hearing gossip .... " it seems as if this blog post is mainly gossip too. Either way this action would have been wrong, the current attitude of the media against anything christian, especially catholic makes it seem almost unbeleivable that this was not headline news. What an oppurtunity to knock catholic culture just passed over!

ed

goldenchild17

not letting me post pictures. But: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZgnoRwsbDzI/S2TFzUERXzI/AAAAAAAABck/VjENB5c3zDk/s1600-h/Graffiti.jpg

Edited by goldenchild17

Guest cortona

[quote name='zunshynn' date='29 January 2010 - 03:20 AM' timestamp='1264753234' post='2047174']
[url="http://catholicchampion.blogspot.com/2010/01/sspx-group-in-mexico-attacks-fssp.html"]SSPX Group in Mexico Attacks FSSP Church[/url]

Has anyone heard about this? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohno.gif[/img] I'm really appalled. Thats just... so sad.

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/signofcross.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Why haven't there been any pictures of this action? You would think with video/camera phones, there would be some pictures. Don't you think it only fair to hear what the SSPX has to say on the matter? There's two sides to every story. I highly doubt that the SSPX would vandalize a Church.

goldenchild17

[quote name='cortona' date='02 February 2010 - 12:15 PM' timestamp='1265134539' post='2049779']
Why haven't there been any pictures of this action? You would think with video/camera phones, there would be some pictures. Don't you think it only fair to hear what the SSPX has to say on the matter? There's two sides to every story. I highly doubt that the SSPX would vandalize a Church.
[/quote]

See last post, it links to a picture of a wall with the graffiti partly washed off (allegedly taken after efforts to clean it up). It definitely could be fake, but who knows? I wrote to both SSPX and FSSP, but haven't heard anything from either. They probably have more important things to deal with than this though. And really we should have more important things to talk about also. If it happened, then its sad, but shouldn't change people's opinion of SSPX (for better or worse), and if it didn't happen then the original author of this story will have to answer to Someone else.

Edited by goldenchild17