An Old School Catholic Message Board

Breaking The 10 Commandments

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

i know that i have broken some of the 10 commandments throughout my life. im aware that i have not always honored my father and mother. whether it be listening to them etc. at which point does breaking the 10 commandments become fatal to salvation? is there any of the 10 commandments that are more serious than others (in the eyes of god)? can you be forgiven for breaking them (especially ones like murder)? since Jesus Christ died for our sins does that effect the importance of the 10 commandments? how relative are the 10 commandments these days?

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='01 February 2010 - 02:38 AM' timestamp='1265009920' post='2048761']
i know that i have broken some of the 10 commandments throughout my life. im aware that i have not always honored my father and mother. whether it be listening to them etc. at which point does breaking the 10 commandments become fatal to salvation? is there any of the 10 commandments that are more serious than others (in the eyes of god)? can you be forgiven for breaking them (especially ones like murder)? since Jesus Christ died for our sins does that effect the importance of the 10 commandments? how relative are the 10 commandments these days?
[/quote]

There are 2 commandments which are more important that the other 8. Jesus says the most important commandment is to love and honor th Lord and no other God's. So that one's easy. As long as you believe in God and don't believe in false God and such, this should not be a problem. The second most important commandment is love thy neighbor. Now this one is harder to do just because I believe no matter how hard someone tries its nearly impossible to at one time or another... or one person or another... to be very mad at them and even dislike them. Although as long as it is not an intentional thing, then I would say its only a venial sin.

you can be forgiven for any of the 10 commandments. Due to Jesus's death, you can be forgiven for any sin.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='havok579257' date='01 February 2010 - 08:51 AM' timestamp='1265014265' post='2048769']
There are 2 commandments which are more important that the other 8. Jesus says the most important commandment is to love and honor th Lord and no other God's. So that one's easy. As long as you believe in God and don't believe in false God and such, this should not be a problem. The second most important commandment is love thy neighbor. Now this one is harder to do just because I believe no matter how hard someone tries its nearly impossible to at one time or another... or one person or another... to be very mad at them and even dislike them. Although as long as it is not an intentional thing, then I would say its only a venial sin.

you can be forgiven for any of the 10 commandments. Due to Jesus's death, you can be forgiven for any sin.
[/quote]
I'd say those two commandments sum up the 10 Commandments, really. The 1st 3 are about honouring and loving God, and the last 7 about loving our neighbour. Yes, we can be forgiven when we break one of the commandments, but I don't think they're to be taken lightly, either. After all, isn't the examination of conscience usually a break-down of the 10 Commandments?

What everyone else said.
The Ten Commandments are ordered according to whom they show obligation. The first three concern duties toward God Himself, the rest love of neighbor (our mother and father coming first), with the last concerning our neighbor's possessions.
No sin is unforgivable if one is truly repentant.
There is a wide range of seriousness of sins that can be committed against each commandment. For instance, "Thou shalt not steal": to steal a penny is not normally a serious sin, but robbing someone of all his possessions is very serious.

“For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it.” [James 2:10]

CCC 2069-The Decalogue forms a coherent whole. Each "word" refers to each of the others and to all of them; they reciprocally condition one another. The two tables shed light on one another; they form an organic unity. To transgress one commandment is to infringe all the others. One cannot honor another person without blessing God his Creator. One cannot adore God without loving all men, his creatures. The Decalogue brings man's religious and social life into unity.

Totally of topic, but, I was thinking while reading this again that the only man who ever broke all ten commandments at one time was moses. Not literally breaking the word of God as in the law, but the actual tablets as he threw them on the idol created by the jews.

Another movie thought, Mel Brooks had a scene in his movie where moses came down with three tablets and held them up to the jews and said, these are the fifteen commandments , then he dropped one tablet and it busted into little pieces, he continued, the ten commandments of God. I loved this skit.

ed

let_go_let_God

As for are any Commandments any more important that any others, it comes to mortal and venial sins. The major difference is that Mortal Sins have three criteria that must be met, grave matter, full consent, full knowledge. If any of these are lacking then it becomes a venial sin.

Can any and all sins be forgiven and can you sin too much and not be forgiven?

Yes all sins can be forgiven. This is shown by the great love by Christ dying on the cross for us. You can never sin too much and not be forgiven. It is actually God's grace and love that we continue to go confession and to be forgiven of sin. In my opinion it is a humbling experience to say I screwed up, this is what I did and I'm sorry.

God bless-
LGLG

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='01 February 2010 - 06:08 AM' timestamp='1265026083' post='2048778']
I'd say those two commandments sum up the 10 Commandments, really. The 1st 3 are about honouring and loving God, and the last 7 about loving our neighbour. Yes, we can be forgiven when we break one of the commandments, but I don't think they're to be taken lightly, either. After all, isn't the examination of conscience usually a break-down of the 10 Commandments?
[/quote]

Agree, because people can break away from God and still be forgiving for what they did.

I would just like to clarify that nearly every sin violates at least one of the Ten Commandments. Each of the Ten Commandments has numerous sins that fall under it. For example, the commandment "Thou shalt not kill" not only prohibits murder are all forms therof (such as abortion and euthanasia), but hatred, unnecessary violence, and unjust anger, as well. In a like manner, the commandment "Thou shalt not bear false witness" not only prohibits bearing false witness, but also forbids detraction, that is, the ruining of another's repuatation by revealing his true faults without a just cause.

Edited by Resurrexi

• 9 years later...
On 2/11/2010 at 3:24 AM, Resurrexi said:

I would just like to clarify that nearly every sin violates at least one of the Ten Commandments. Each of the Ten Commandments has numerous sins that fall under it. For example, the commandment "Thou shalt not kill" not only prohibits murder are all forms therof (such as abortion and euthanasia), but hatred, unnecessary violence, and unjust anger, as well. In a like manner, the commandment "Thou shalt not bear false witness" not only prohibits bearing false witness, but also forbids detraction, that is, the ruining of another's repuatation by revealing his true faults without a just cause.

I would disagree with this one. If revealing a person's fault would ruin that person's reputation that would likely being doing society a favor. From my understanding what the ten commandments mean are

1st Commandment pray only to God and to no other.

2nd Do not commit acts of Evil in the name of God

3rd on the sabbath day keep God in mind and thank him for his gifts and creation.

4th honor your father and mother. Basically do not bad mouth them or be disrespectful to them. Obviously if you are asked to do something that you are not able to saying no in not dishonoring them. One could also add to make certain your actions do not bring your family dishonor. 

5th. Do not lie or make false statements. One could also make the argument about not doing deceitful things  or knowingly leave information out.

6th do not have sex with someone else's spouse. If you are married then you cannot have sex with someone other then your spouse.  This is mainly because you have vowed to with someone and doing this act would break that vow. From my perspective if your spouse has said it is ok for you to engage in such relations than it is fine. However if you do it behind their back then you are breaking a vow.

7th Obviously not killing other people and one could even expand this for animals too. Thou shall not murder animals either. If one thinks about it. Murder is the intentional killing of a person.  Intentionally killing an animal unless it is in self defense or because of hunger or medicine could be considered murder.

8th Stealing is obviously a problem as you should respect other people's belongings

9th bearing false witness is basically saying something that is untrue about someone in order to harm that person's reputation or to harm them in some other way. Usually this is what people do when they gossip. They usually are telling people what other people have told them regardless of whether it is true or not. If you only tell what you know is true then you are making a statement and not gossiping. This is why I disagree with the poster previous to this statement. If you are making a statement about someone who you know is true and their reputation is harmed than you are making a truthful statement and not spreading lies about other people.

10th Coveting someone elses goods can bring resentment between you and them. It could also lead to one sinning in other ways such as stealing from them, committing adultery or making lies about them.

Usually when one breaks one commandment they are breaking more of them. When I was a kid if I stole my sisters toys I would usually lie about it. When my parents would punish me I would disrespect my parents. Sometime I would make false statements about my sister.  When it comes to what I believe make a sin unforgivable. It is when you harden your heart to God. A person who truly fears God will always be willing to repent as he fears that God will be angry at him. If you do not repent your sins than God cannot offer forgiveness. it is basically along the lines of all you need to do is ask.

• 2 months later...

It should he noted that there is one sin which is unforgivable, namely blaspheming the Holy Ghost. There are also four sins which "cry out to the Heavens for vengeance," indicating their seriousness and severity (though these can be forgiven under the appropriate and normal circumstances), and Our Lord clearly demarcates the two most critical of the 10 Commandments: to love the Lord your God and to love your neighbor as yourself.

I believe that it is significantly easier to break the first commandment than havok presented, as this commandment is not limited simply to believing in God but demands that we love Him. The first step to loving God is to be strictly and entirely obedient to His will, which we are not whenever we sin. As a result, we are always guilty of breaking the first commandment when we sin.

There are different degrees of breaking the commandments. Burning an effigy of your mother on her birthday is far different from not trying her most hated casserole recipe. Not all sins against the ten commandments are mortal.